From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG/Kurtenbach:_Sorry,_but_there’s_a_big_rea
son_why_Steph_Curry_can’t_be_in_the_G.O.A.T._conv
ersation
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 14:54:11 -0800
 by: Allen - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:54 UTC

I technically have to agree with this (although I think Curry's defense
is better than people think, and LeBron's or MJ's defense wasn't as
elite as people think except some of the time) - but what a weird column
to write. Just weird. -AL

Kurtenbach: Sorry, but there’s a big reason why Steph Curry can’t be in
the G.O.A.T. conversation
When you're comparing Curry to Jordan, LeBron, the Warriors great comes
up a bit short.

>Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James (6) defends against Golden
State Warriors guard Stephen Curry (30) during the second half of an NBA
basketball game in Los Angeles, Saturday, March 5, 2022. (AP
Photo/Ashley Landis)
By DIETER KURTENBACH | dkurtenbach@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News
Group
PUBLISHED: December 20, 2023 at 1:00 a.m. | UPDATED: December 20, 2023
at 1:11 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2023/12/20/kurtenbach-sorry-but-theres-a-big-reason-why-steph-curry-cant-be-in-the-g-o-a-t-conversation/

Steph Curry is the greatest Warrior to ever live.

He’s the greatest shooter to ever live, too.

I think he’s the greatest point guard in the history of the NBA, as well.

Curry’s greatness is unquestioned. We’re blessed to watch such a
brilliant player take the floor night after night in the region we call
home.

But if we are being forced to rank Curry amid the other greats in the
history of the game, we have to be honest:

He’s not the greatest player of all time, and he doesn’t deserve to be
in the upper echelon, either.

The greatest player of all time is Michael Jordan.

The second greatest is LeBron James.

You can switch them if you want, but you’d be wrong.

There is a third player who deserves to be in that conversation as well:
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

These days, he’s a distant third, but he’s still a tier better than the
rest.

Now, I can make the case that Curry should be slotted in after Kareem —
No. 4 all-time. That’s a hell of a story for the small kid from Charlotte.

(Of course, there are countless other options for that No. 4 spot: Magic
Johnson, Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O’Neal, Larry Bird, Wilt Chamberlain,
Bill Russell, and Tim Duncan can all make a claim.)

But the reason that I cannot put Curry in the Big 3 — a requisite to
being in the conversation about the greatest player of all time, which
Shaq suggested Tuesday night that Curry should be in — is because
Jordan, James, and Kareem all did something Curry has never done:

They played elite defense.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Kurtenbach: The Warriors’ two-timeline plan is back in action, and
it’s a sight to behold
Does Steph Curry belong in the GOAT conversation? Shaq says yes
How ‘hero’ Chris Paul set up Steph Curry for Warriors’ wild
game-sealing shot
Inside Jackson-Davis’ momentum-shifting block on Brown in Warriors’
win over Celtics
Warriors overcome Boston Celtics in overtime behind Steph Curry’s
late-game heroics

Now, Jordan might be the only player of the three to win the NBA’s
Defensive Player of the Year award, but that’s because the award wasn’t
given out until 1982-83.

Kareem would have won the award at least once in his 20s and early 30s.
He was an elite rim protector and low-post force before the injuries
accumulated. That defensive reputation has been diluted amid the
incredible longevity of his career.

James has somehow never won DPOY — the perks of playing in an era with
Ben Wallace (four-time winner) and Draymond Green. But during his time
with the Heat, in particular, there was no better on-ball defender in
the league. Go back and watch the 2011 Eastern Conference Playoffs if
you don’t believe me.

James has been on the All-Defense team six times in his career (and
deserved more inclusions). If there’s anything underrated about James’
career, it’s his play on that side of the ball.

And Jordan can be considered the greatest perimeter defender ever — he
was a nine-time First-Team All-Defense player. My goodness, the man won
DPOY, MVP, and the scoring title in the same season. He’s the greatest
there ever was.

Now, Curry has the titles to stack up with the gods of the game. His
impact on the sport is immense, too — as significant as anyone in the
history of the game. And I think his defense is underrated — he’s no
scrub on that side of the court.

But he’s never deserved consideration for any of the NBA’s All-Defense
teams in his career. He’s a solid defender, a serviceable defender, and
a versatile defender, but he is not and never will be a two-way player.

And until there’s only one side of the court, it doesn’t matter how
great of a scorer someone is — defense must be a prerequisite for being
the greatest basketball player of all time.