From: consta...@duxmail.com (Con Reeder, unhyphenated American)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Subject: It's just one (pipeline, lease, desalination plant)
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 17:43:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Con Reeder, unhyphen - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 17:43 UTC

Yeah, Keystone was just one pipeline.

Edward Ring of the California Policy Center writes about
California’s struggles with water supply:

On May 12, the California Coastal Commission board of directors
voted 11–0 to deny the application from Poseidon Water to build
a desalination plant in Huntington Beach. Since 1998, Poseidon has
spent over $100 million on design and permit work for this plant.
At least half of that money was spent on seemingly endless studies
and redesigns as the Coastal Commission and other agencies
continued to change the requirements. The denial of Poseidon’s
application makes it very unlikely another construction contractor
will ever attempt to build a large-scale desalination plant on the
California coast.

This is a historic mistake. If you’re trying to eliminate water
scarcity, desalination is an option you can’t ignore.
Desalination has the unique virtue of relying on a literally
inexhaustible feedstock, the world’s vast and salty oceans. At
an estimated total volume of 1.1 quadrillion acre feet (1.1
billion million acre feet), there will always be enough ocean.

This is what Democrats do to us. It is crap like this which is
responsible for the current inflation and high gas prices.

--
An amateur practices until he gets it right. A pro
practices until he can't get it wrong. -- unknown

Re: It's just one (pipeline, lease, desalination plant)

<t8kedj$8ib$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62879&group=rec.sport.football.college#62879

From: xyzzy.d...@gmail.com (xyzzy)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 11:54:27 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:1YsFyXAlMlfYM2Ap9qMOq8KSnm0=
 by: xyzzy - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 11:54 UTC

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American <constance@duxmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, Keystone was just one pipeline.
>
> Edward Ring of the California Policy Center writes about
> California’s struggles with water supply:
>
> On May 12, the California Coastal Commission board of directors
> voted 11–0 to deny the application from Poseidon Water to build
> a desalination plant in Huntington Beach. Since 1998, Poseidon has
> spent over $100 million on design and permit work for this plant.
> At least half of that money was spent on seemingly endless studies
> and redesigns as the Coastal Commission and other agencies
> continued to change the requirements. The denial of Poseidon’s
> application makes it very unlikely another construction contractor
> will ever attempt to build a large-scale desalination plant on the
> California coast.
>
> This is a historic mistake. If you’re trying to eliminate water
> scarcity, desalination is an option you can’t ignore.
> Desalination has the unique virtue of relying on a literally
> inexhaustible feedstock, the world’s vast and salty oceans. At
> an estimated total volume of 1.1 quadrillion acre feet (1.1
> billion million acre feet), there will always be enough ocean.
>
> This is what Democrats do to us. It is crap like this which is
> responsible for the current inflation and high gas prices.

The Democratic leaders of the state supported the plant. Newsom in
particular pushed hard for it. The Coastal Commission is an independent
body that does not answer to them.

The main criticism the Democrats deserve here is that they respected
institutions and weren’t willing to muscle an independent body into giving
them the result they politically want.

--
“I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
liberal personality.” — Altie

Re: It's just one (pipeline, lease, desalination plant)

<slrntarjdp.2qupb.constance@karen.heins.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62880&group=rec.sport.football.college#62880

From: consta...@duxmail.com (Con Reeder, unhyphenated American)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 13:06:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Con Reeder, unhyphen - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 13:06 UTC

On 2022-06-18, xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:
> Con Reeder, unhyphenated American <constance@duxmail.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, Keystone was just one pipeline.
>>
>> Edward Ring of the California Policy Center writes about
>> California’s struggles with water supply:
>>
>> On May 12, the California Coastal Commission board of directors
>> voted 11–0 to deny the application from Poseidon Water to build
>> a desalination plant in Huntington Beach. Since 1998, Poseidon has
>> spent over $100 million on design and permit work for this plant.
>> At least half of that money was spent on seemingly endless studies
>> and redesigns as the Coastal Commission and other agencies
>> continued to change the requirements. The denial of Poseidon’s
>> application makes it very unlikely another construction contractor
>> will ever attempt to build a large-scale desalination plant on the
>> California coast.
>>
>> This is a historic mistake. If you’re trying to eliminate water
>> scarcity, desalination is an option you can’t ignore.
>> Desalination has the unique virtue of relying on a literally
>> inexhaustible feedstock, the world’s vast and salty oceans. At
>> an estimated total volume of 1.1 quadrillion acre feet (1.1
>> billion million acre feet), there will always be enough ocean.
>>
>> This is what Democrats do to us. It is crap like this which is
>> responsible for the current inflation and high gas prices.
>>

> The Democratic leaders of the state supported the plant. Newsom in
> particular pushed hard for it. The Coastal Commission is an independent
> body that does not answer to them.
>
> The main criticism the Democrats deserve here is that they respected
> institutions and weren’t willing to muscle an independent body into giving
> them the result they politically want.

Sounds like a good way to evade blame.

Who installed the Coastal Commission, pray tell? Who appointed the
members? And who, with their government supermajority, refuses to
override this suicide pact?

--
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently equipped fool. -- unknown