sport / rec.sport.football.college / Re: the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in the military out of HS are very compelling....

SubjectAuthor
* the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in themichael anderson
+* Re: the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in theMichael Falkner
|`- Re: the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in theKen Olson
+* Re: the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in theCorky
|+- Re: the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in theCon Reeder, unhyphenated American
|`* Re: the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in themichael anderson
| `- Re: the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in theCorky
+- Re: the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in theGrtArtiste
`* Re: the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in theIrish Mike
 `- Re: the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in theMichael Falkner

1
the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in the military out of HS are very compelling....

<f51721c9-15d5-4e82-b88c-958169131a2cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62868&group=rec.sport.football.college#62868

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 09:38:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in the
military out of HS are very compelling....
From: mianders...@gmail.com (michael anderson)
 by: michael anderson - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 16:38 UTC

Even for people who want to go to university and enter into typical professional fields.

Yes the pay isn't great, but it's all about the 100% service connected disability everyone is pretty much getting(if they want it) by the time they would be mid to late 20s now. And no you don't have to serve in combat or anything close.

Graduate HS -- do a few years in the military(even if you get out with a general discharge early and not an honorable after the 4 years you are still eligible)--then start college at age 20-22 instead of 18.

Yes I know people people graduating high school want to experience college right then, but drawing 3300-3800/monthly(and going up with inflation) at an early age and then getting this for an expected 50+ years gets you a true piece of security in life going forward. Knowing you will have that monthly security allows one to take more professional risks that could pay off big....vs someone who doesn't have that.

I think it's become part of the accepted compensation package for people to enlist now(that you have the opportunity to get service connected after done). A recruiting tool of sorts.

Now don't take this wrong- this is meant to in no way criticize veterans or active duty military as I'm so thankful for what they do. But for people who already feel compelled to serve their country this way, that money(that's a 7 figure lifetime package easy) is another great reason to do it.

Just look at the percentage of the enlisted who apply to be service connected within a year of getting out now. And that's only going to increase.

If I had a son who was already open to serving their country, I'd definately sit down with them and say "look, here is one huge advantage of enlisting and serving because 3k+ after taxes every month going up with inflation is a damn good security blanket to start adult life with". It would even allow tons of people to do something throughout their life they may enjoy but think they can't do because it won't 'pay the bills'.

Re: the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in the military out of HS are very compelling....

<fae5c892-0580-4766-9093-5b95420cfe77n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62870&group=rec.sport.football.college#62870

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 10:31:33 -0700 (PDT)
military out of HS are very compelling....
From: darkstar...@gmail.com (Michael Falkner)
 by: Michael Falkner - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 17:31 UTC

I'm surprised you also aren't adding political/moral/discipline angles to this as well...

Mike

Re: the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in the military out of HS are very compelling....

<t8g1ln$en5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62871&group=rec.sport.football.college#62871

From: kol...@freedomnet.org (Ken Olson)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
military out of HS are very compelling....
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 15:52:22 -0400
 by: Ken Olson - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 19:52 UTC

On 6/16/2022 1:31 PM, Michael Falkner wrote:
> I'm surprised you also aren't adding political/moral/discipline angles to this as well...
>
> Mike

Dr. Mike could go in now and end up with a sweet end deal,too. One of
my past doctors closed his practice and joined the Army.

--
ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen

Слава Україні та НАТО

Re: the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in the military out of HS are very compelling....

<dde92040-990c-4d52-bd5c-331f946bcb50n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62872&group=rec.sport.football.college#62872

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 15:01:23 -0700 (PDT)
military out of HS are very compelling....
From: corkst...@gmail.com (Corky)
 by: Corky - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 22:01 UTC

On Thursday, June 16, 2022 at 11:38:39 AM UTC-5, miande...@gmail.com wrote:

> Yes I know people people graduating high school want to experience college right then, but drawing 3300-3800/monthly(and going up with inflation) at an early age and then getting this for an expected 50+ years gets you a true piece of security in life going forward. Knowing you will have that monthly security allows one to take more professional risks that could pay off big....vs someone who doesn't have that.
>
> I think it's become part of the accepted compensation package for people to enlist now(that you have the opportunity to get service connected after done). A recruiting tool of sorts.
>

> Just look at the percentage of the enlisted who apply to be service connected within a year of getting out now. And that's only going to increase.

https://vaclaimsinsider.com/average-va-disability-rating-for-ptsd/

'A total of 4,743,108 veterans out of an eligible 19,602,316 veterans or just 24.2% of veterans are currently receiving some sort of VA disability compensation benefits with a service connected VA rating of at least 0%.
75.8% of veterans do NOT receive any sort of disability compensation benefits from the VA
Tinnitus or “ringing in the ear syndrome” is the #1 most commonly claimed and service connected disability.

The average VA disability rating for PTSD is 70%. (for PTSD, not overall)
The average mental health rating for any one of 31 ratable conditions under the law is 70%.'

As noted above, Tinnitus is the number one claim and compensation is between 0 and 10% ($152 a month max)

It took me 13 years to get a 10% rating for hearing loss after working on the flight line for 10 years. Another 3 years for tinnintus. In conservative states it's like they are paying you with their money and they fight you tooth and nail to keep you from getting disability. You have to prove everything. Places like California not so much.
They armed services do everything they can to mitigate what you are saying. They try to address PTSD as soon as possible whereas Vietnam veterans were left to deal with it for a lifetime and it became chronic.

While 10% and 10% gets you 20, things get mucked up when you have combined ratings.

If there are three disabilities ratable at 60 percent, 40 percent, and 20 percent, it rates out to 80% in VA math.

Are people taking liberties with the system? Absolutely, but who doesn't like money? But don't think for a second that you just walk in and complain about something and they give you 100% I know combat veterans that can tell you stories that will give you nightmares and still can't get PTSD pay because the VA is proficient at deny, deny, deny, until you give up.

Re: the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in the military out of HS are very compelling....

<slrntapf17.2qbsu.constance@karen.heins.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62876&group=rec.sport.football.college#62876

From: consta...@duxmail.com (Con Reeder, unhyphenated American)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
military out of HS are very compelling....
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 17:38:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Con Reeder, unhyphen - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 17:38 UTC

On 2022-06-16, Corky <corkstrew@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, June 16, 2022 at 11:38:39 AM UTC-5, miande...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Yes I know people people graduating high school want to experience college right then, but drawing 3300-3800/monthly(and going up with inflation) at an early age and then getting this for an expected 50+ years gets you a true piece of security in life going forward. Knowing you will have that monthly security allows one to take more professional risks that could pay off big....vs someone who doesn't have that.

I spent 6 years in the military. I didn't draw dime one in dollars
(with the exception of a VA loan I paid back completely, arguably
worth a few dollars in reduced interest).

But I reaped untold rewards, far greater than being on the dole. It
made a man of me when that result was greatly in doubt prior to my
service. I then applied the lessons they taught me and made millions
simply by virtue of working hard and smart with the life skills
given to me.

--
People who would hamper free speech always assume that they're designing
a world in which only their enemies will have to shut up.

Re: the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in the military out of HS are very compelling....

<t8if5c$s3m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62878&group=rec.sport.football.college#62878

From: nineo...@yahoo.com (GrtArtiste)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
military out of HS are very compelling....
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 13:54:52 -0400
 by: GrtArtiste - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 17:54 UTC

On 6/16/2022 12:38 PM, michael anderson wrote:
> Even for people who want to go to university and enter into typical professional fields.
>
> Yes the pay isn't great, but it's all about the 100% service connected disability everyone is pretty much getting(if they want it) by the time they would be mid to late 20s now. And no you don't have to serve in combat or anything close.
>
> Graduate HS -- do a few years in the military(even if you get out with a general discharge early and not an honorable after the 4 years you are still eligible)--then start college at age 20-22 instead of 18.
>
> Yes I know people people graduating high school want to experience college right then, but drawing 3300-3800/monthly(and going up with inflation) at an early age and then getting this for an expected 50+ years gets you a true piece of security in life going forward. Knowing you will have that monthly security allows one to take more professional risks that could pay off big....vs someone who doesn't have that.
>
> I think it's become part of the accepted compensation package for people to enlist now(that you have the opportunity to get service connected after done). A recruiting tool of sorts.
>
> Now don't take this wrong- this is meant to in no way criticize veterans or active duty military as I'm so thankful for what they do. But for people who already feel compelled to serve their country this way, that money(that's a 7 figure lifetime package easy) is another great reason to do it.
>
> Just look at the percentage of the enlisted who apply to be service connected within a year of getting out now. And that's only going to increase.
>
> If I had a son who was already open to serving their country, I'd definately sit down with them and say "look, here is one huge advantage of enlisting and serving because 3k+ after taxes every month going up with inflation is a damn good security blanket to start adult life with". It would even allow tons of people to do something throughout their life they may enjoy but think they can't do because it won't 'pay the bills'.

ALL TOGETHER NOW! SING!!!

It's all about the money! It's all about the MONEY!!. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE
MONEY!!!!!

Mia's unending refrain. By the way...please have a child before you
start suggesting what other people's children should do with their lives.

GrtArtiste

Re: the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in the military out of HS are very compelling....

<4011fe66-1c2e-44c2-a0ee-9501683dfdeen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62883&group=rec.sport.football.college#62883

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 12:42:56 -0700 (PDT)
military out of HS are very compelling....
From: mianders...@gmail.com (michael anderson)
 by: michael anderson - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 19:42 UTC

On Thursday, June 16, 2022 at 5:01:29 PM UTC-5, cork...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, June 16, 2022 at 11:38:39 AM UTC-5, miande...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Yes I know people people graduating high school want to experience college right then, but drawing 3300-3800/monthly(and going up with inflation) at an early age and then getting this for an expected 50+ years gets you a true piece of security in life going forward. Knowing you will have that monthly security allows one to take more professional risks that could pay off big....vs someone who doesn't have that.
> >
> > I think it's become part of the accepted compensation package for people to enlist now(that you have the opportunity to get service connected after done). A recruiting tool of sorts.
> >

> > Just look at the percentage of the enlisted who apply to be service connected within a year of getting out now. And that's only going to increase.
> >
> https://vaclaimsinsider.com/average-va-disability-rating-for-ptsd/
>
> 'A total of 4,743,108 veterans out of an eligible 19,602,316 veterans or just 24.2% of veterans are currently receiving some sort of VA disability compensation benefits with a service connected VA rating of at least 0%.
> 75.8% of veterans do NOT receive any sort of disability compensation benefits from the VA
> Tinnitus or “ringing in the ear syndrome” is the #1 most commonly claimed and service connected disability.
>
> The average VA disability rating for PTSD is 70%. (for PTSD, not overall)
> The average mental health rating for any one of 31 ratable conditions under the law is 70%.'
>
> As noted above, Tinnitus is the number one claim and compensation is between 0 and 10% ($152 a month max)
>
> It took me 13 years to get a 10% rating for hearing loss after working on the flight line for 10 years. Another 3 years for tinnintus. In conservative states it's like they are paying you with their money and they fight you tooth and nail to keep you from getting disability. You have to prove everything. Places like California not so much.
> They armed services do everything they can to mitigate what you are saying. They try to address PTSD as soon as possible whereas Vietnam veterans were left to deal with it for a lifetime and it became chronic.
>
> While 10% and 10% gets you 20, things get mucked up when you have combined ratings.
>
> If there are three disabilities ratable at 60 percent, 40 percent, and 20 percent, it rates out to 80% in VA math.
>
> Are people taking liberties with the system? Absolutely, but who doesn't like money? But don't think for a second that you just walk in and complain about something and they give you 100% I know combat veterans that can tell you stories that will give you nightmares and still can't get PTSD pay because the VA is proficient at deny, deny, deny, until you give up.

Well granted I tend to see a population that has managed to get the service connected ratings(since we have a contract where we see overflow VA psych patients), but amongst the ones I see it seems like every one is 100% connected and gets at least 3200/month after taxes(some far more). And there are some younger ones in that group as well(many in mid to late 20s....and thats a lifetime thing).

My sister is a VA psychiatrist and has shared similar experiences. One day she told me she saw 12 outpts in a day and all 12 were at least 70%(most 100%).

Re: the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in the military out of HS are very compelling....

<94e45a13-fba3-42b5-ac33-5e037e78b8f6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62886&group=rec.sport.football.college#62886

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 22:12:45 -0700 (PDT)
military out of HS are very compelling....
From: irishran...@gmail.com (Irish Mike)
 by: Irish Mike - Sun, 19 Jun 2022 05:12 UTC

On Thursday, June 16, 2022 at 12:38:39 PM UTC-4, miande...@gmail.com wrote:
> Even for people who want to go to university and enter into typical professional fields.
>
> Yes the pay isn't great, but it's all about the 100% service connected disability everyone is pretty much getting

Yep, and all the Vets who get free flights home in those cool flag-covered coffins and the ones
who are blind, deaf, paralyzed or have missing arms and legs. Not to mention the ones with
those Agent Orange, Burn Pit and PTSD diseases and mental disorders.

Irish Mike

Re: the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in the military out of HS are very compelling....

<db0b8192-4730-485c-9b36-70c637a44296n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62887&group=rec.sport.football.college#62887

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 03:35:51 -0700 (PDT)
military out of HS are very compelling....
From: corkst...@gmail.com (Corky)
 by: Corky - Sun, 19 Jun 2022 10:35 UTC

On Saturday, June 18, 2022 at 2:42:59 PM UTC-5, miande...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> Well granted I tend to see a population that has managed to get the service connected ratings(since we have a contract where we see overflow VA psych patients), but amongst the ones I see it seems like every one is 100% connected and gets at least 3200/month after taxes(some far more). And there are some younger ones in that group as well(many in mid to late 20s....and thats a lifetime thing).
>
> My sister is a VA psychiatrist and has shared similar experiences. One day she told me she saw 12 outpts in a day and all 12 were at least 70%(most 100%).

I'm left wondering why their ratings/pay would be information the VA would share with you. It doesn't matter for their treatment, so I'm guessing you ask them all. I'd even question why/if your sister has/should have access to a patients disability rating for the same reason.
For a psychiatrist to see VA patients that are rated 70% or above doesn't seem to me like an indicator that it's easy to get rated.

Re: the financial benefits of doing a stint of up to 4 years in the military out of HS are very compelling....

<dfde2ec1-a3d3-41da-b61d-e5b431b66a02n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=62888&group=rec.sport.football.college#62888

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 05:17:16 -0700 (PDT)
military out of HS are very compelling....
From: darkstar...@gmail.com (Michael Falkner)
 by: Michael Falkner - Sun, 19 Jun 2022 12:17 UTC

On Saturday, June 18, 2022 at 10:12:49 PM UTC-7, Irish Mike wrote:
> On Thursday, June 16, 2022 at 12:38:39 PM UTC-4, miande...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Even for people who want to go to university and enter into typical professional fields.
> >
> > Yes the pay isn't great, but it's all about the 100% service connected disability everyone is pretty much getting
> Yep, and all the Vets who get free flights home in those cool flag-covered coffins and the ones
> who are blind, deaf, paralyzed or have missing arms and legs. Not to mention the ones with
> those Agent Orange, Burn Pit and PTSD diseases and mental disorders.

That's only for the people in the military who are meant to be killed because they are useless in outside society -- a tradition of the American military going back probably at least to the first World War if not further.

Mike