sport / rec.sport.football.college / there are officially two power conferences now.....

SubjectAuthor
* there are officially two power conferences now.....michael anderson
+* Re: there are officially two power conferences now.....leonard hofstatder
|+- Re: there are officially two power conferences now.....Michael Falkner
|`- Re: there are officially two power conferences now.....michael anderson
`* Re: there are officially two power conferences now.....Michael Falkner
 `- Re: there are officially two power conferences now.....Irish Mike

1
there are officially two power conferences now.....

<e3f2b23b-46c4-4bf6-8849-11142dd34562n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=63039&group=rec.sport.football.college#63039

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 15:02:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: there are officially two power conferences now.....
From: mianders...@gmail.com (michael anderson)
 by: michael anderson - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 22:02 UTC

Frankly that has been the case for awhile, but now there is no doubt. The next person that says "the power 5" when referring to football should be shot. There is no power 5, and there hasn't been for awhile.

When georgia, alabama, auburn, LSU, A&M, Tennessee, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Wisconsin, and Ohio State are all in
just two conferences......well, that is the 'power'.

They are what I will now refer to as the 'big 14'. If you want to quibble and throw out a program or two(tennessee? wisconsin?) or add an Iowa or whatever, fine. But the basic point is the same.

The only programs with *any significant* stature at all now not in these two conferences are Florida State, Notre Dame, and Clemson. Remove the significant part of 'any significant' and one could make the case Oregon and Washington have a tiny bit of stature.

But really.....this is it. Frankly with what the sec and bigten has now they could just play each other exclusively within conference and then throw in 3 sec-bigten interconference games every year and college football wouldn't actually be much different if those were the ONLY games we saw.

I mean the dust has pretty much settled with the exception of the notre dame question and wondering if FSU and Clemson want to choose to wilt on the vine in their shit conference....but this sort of completes the picture.

Re: there are officially two power conferences now.....

<t9lcgp$21ti3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=63040&group=rec.sport.football.college#63040

From: n.n...@comcast.net (leonard hofstatder)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 18:44:26 -0500
 by: leonard hofstatder - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 23:44 UTC

On 6/30/2022 5:02 PM, michael anderson wrote:
> Frankly that has been the case for awhile, but now there is no doubt. The next person that says "the power 5" when referring to football should be shot. There is no power 5, and there hasn't been for awhile.
>
> When georgia, alabama, auburn, LSU, A&M, Tennessee, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Wisconsin, and Ohio State are all in
> just two conferences......well, that is the 'power'.
>
> They are what I will now refer to as the 'big 14'. If you want to quibble and throw out a program or two(tennessee? wisconsin?) or add an Iowa or whatever, fine. But the basic point is the same.
>
> The only programs with *any significant* stature at all now not in these two conferences are Florida State, Notre Dame, and Clemson. Remove the significant part of 'any significant' and one could make the case Oregon and Washington have a tiny bit of stature.
>
> But really.....this is it. Frankly with what the sec and bigten has now they could just play each other exclusively within conference and then throw in 3 sec-bigten interconference games every year and college football wouldn't actually be much different if those were the ONLY games we saw.
>
> I mean the dust has pretty much settled with the exception of the notre dame question and wondering if FSU and Clemson want to choose to wilt on the vine in their shit conference....but this sort of completes the picture.

hmmmm, Rich Eisen show today basically what he said word for word

Re: there are officially two power conferences now.....

<5c84a9ed-e0c3-4b78-a0e0-5631b952ac20n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=63043&group=rec.sport.football.college#63043

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 17:27:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: darkstar...@gmail.com (Michael Falkner)
 by: Michael Falkner - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 00:27 UTC

On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 3:02:46 PM UTC-7, miande...@gmail.com wrote:
> Frankly that has been the case for awhile, but now there is no doubt. The next person that says "the power 5" when referring to football should be shot. There is no power 5, and there hasn't been for awhile.

There's pretty much now an accepted reality that we are going to end up with two conferences.

What you saw today was the end of the Rose Bowl until they decide to basically move the entire remaining hierarchy into about 48 teams and create a permanent national super-class of just that amount.

> When georgia, alabama, auburn, LSU, A&M, Tennessee, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Wisconsin, and Ohio State are all in
> just two conferences......well, that is the 'power'.
>
> They are what I will now refer to as the 'big 14'. If you want to quibble and throw out a program or two(tennessee? wisconsin?) or add an Iowa or whatever, fine. But the basic point is the same.

If you're throwing out Wisconsin, don't add Iowa. I'd take out Tennessee and get it to 12, but that's basically the accepted limit (even by the admission of ESPN's Andrea Edelman) that, in essence, there are only about twelve teams in college football these days.
> The only programs with *any significant* stature at all now not in these two conferences are Florida State, Notre Dame, and Clemson. Remove the significant part of 'any significant' and one could make the case Oregon and Washington have a tiny bit of stature.

Notre Dame will have join one of the two for football -- that is simple. They may be about the ONLY school which has leverage and geography where they can choose. Clemson will go to the SEC -- that's just a matter of time now.

Florida State hasn't been relevant in years; they can be discarded. (Same reason I wouldn't put Tennessee in your list.)

> But really.....this is it. Frankly with what the sec and bigten has now they could just play each other exclusively within conference and then throw in 3 sec-bigten interconference games every year and college football wouldn't actually be much different if those were the ONLY games we saw.

Which is something I've been basically saying for a while now -- most games don't even have to be played and are wastes of both economic and on-field realities.
> I mean the dust has pretty much settled with the exception of the notre dame question and wondering if FSU and Clemson want to choose to wilt on the vine in their shit conference....but this sort of completes the picture.

What does the SEC gain with Florida State? Why are they even in this discussion? If we're going relics at this point, I'd put Miami in this discussion before Florida State!

Mike

Re: there are officially two power conferences now.....

<ae763366-3959-439a-ba33-df49f9d1d9a6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=63052&group=rec.sport.football.college#63052

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 18:38:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: darkstar...@gmail.com (Michael Falkner)
 by: Michael Falkner - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 01:38 UTC

On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 4:44:29 PM UTC-7, leonard hofstatder wrote:

> hmmmm, Rich Eisen show today basically what he said word for word

Finebaum just said it himself as well.

Mike

Re: there are officially two power conferences now.....

<08bf0561-7e1b-4a85-9d9e-fed53a9c591fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=63054&group=rec.sport.football.college#63054

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 21:26:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: mianders...@gmail.com (michael anderson)
 by: michael anderson - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 04:26 UTC

On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 6:44:29 PM UTC-5, leonard hofstatder wrote:
> On 6/30/2022 5:02 PM, michael anderson wrote:
> > Frankly that has been the case for awhile, but now there is no doubt. The next person that says "the power 5" when referring to football should be shot. There is no power 5, and there hasn't been for awhile.
> >
> > When georgia, alabama, auburn, LSU, A&M, Tennessee, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Wisconsin, and Ohio State are all in
> > just two conferences......well, that is the 'power'.
> >
> > They are what I will now refer to as the 'big 14'. If you want to quibble and throw out a program or two(tennessee? wisconsin?) or add an Iowa or whatever, fine. But the basic point is the same.
> >
> > The only programs with *any significant* stature at all now not in these two conferences are Florida State, Notre Dame, and Clemson. Remove the significant part of 'any significant' and one could make the case Oregon and Washington have a tiny bit of stature.
> >
> > But really.....this is it. Frankly with what the sec and bigten has now they could just play each other exclusively within conference and then throw in 3 sec-bigten interconference games every year and college football wouldn't actually be much different if those were the ONLY games we saw.
> >
> > I mean the dust has pretty much settled with the exception of the notre dame question and wondering if FSU and Clemson want to choose to wilt on the vine in their shit conference....but this sort of completes the picture.
> >
> hmmmm, Rich Eisen show today basically what he said word for word

cant help if eisen wants to copy me.....

Re: there are officially two power conferences now.....

<13e2d9e2-3d7a-4d0a-9021-9bda8a6bd09dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=63055&group=rec.sport.football.college#63055

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 04:28:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: irishran...@gmail.com (Irish Mike)
 by: Irish Mike - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 11:28 UTC

On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 8:27:20 PM UTC-4, Michael Falkner wrote:
> On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 3:02:46 PM UTC-7, miande...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Frankly that has been the case for awhile, but now there is no doubt. The next person that says "the power 5" when referring to football should be shot. There is no power 5, and there hasn't been for awhile.
> There's pretty much now an accepted reality that we are going to end up with two conferences.
>
> What you saw today was the end of the Rose Bowl until they decide to basically move the entire remaining hierarchy into about 48 teams and create a permanent national super-class of just that amount.
> > When georgia, alabama, auburn, LSU, A&M, Tennessee, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Wisconsin, and Ohio State are all in
> > just two conferences......well, that is the 'power'.
> >
> > They are what I will now refer to as the 'big 14'. If you want to quibble and throw out a program or two(tennessee? wisconsin?) or add an Iowa or whatever, fine. But the basic point is the same.
> If you're throwing out Wisconsin, don't add Iowa. I'd take out Tennessee and get it to 12, but that's basically the accepted limit (even by the admission of ESPN's Andrea Edelman) that, in essence, there are only about twelve teams in college football these days.
> > The only programs with *any significant* stature at all now not in these two conferences are Florida State, Notre Dame, and Clemson. Remove the significant part of 'any significant' and one could make the case Oregon and Washington have a tiny bit of stature.
> Notre Dame will have join one of the two for football -- that is simple.

I am a life-long, die hard Ohio State fan but I can't root against the Irish. The Buckeyes opening game this year is
against Notre Dame in the Shoe. Next year Ohio State's opening game is also against Notre Dame, but in South Bend.
I'm going to have to sit on on my hands!

Irish Mike