From: xyzzy.d...@gmail.com (xyzzy)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Subject: Nuclear power: not flaky like renewables
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 16:30:32 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:KEyWRzhtFS/sPLFlbOE8VHH7jWw=
 by: xyzzy - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 16:30 UTC

This week, Europe found itself in a nasty feedback loop as record
temperatures sent electricity demand soaring but also forced sharp cuts in
power from nuclear plants in the region because the extreme heat made it
difficult to cool the reactors

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/20/climate/global-energy-crisis-climate-war.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/20/climate/global-energy-crisis-climate-war.html?referringSource=articleShare

(Note: I support nuclear power but still…)

--
“I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
liberal personality.” — Altie

Re: Nuclear power: not flaky like renewables

<slrntdhi6u.3g0gf.constance@karen.heins.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=63259&group=rec.sport.football.college#63259

From: consta...@duxmail.com (Con Reeder, unhyphenated American)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Subject: Re: Nuclear power: not flaky like renewables
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 03:32:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Con Reeder, unhyphen - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 03:32 UTC

On 2022-07-20, xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:

> This week, Europe found itself in a nasty feedback loop as record
> temperatures sent electricity demand soaring but also forced sharp cuts in
> power from nuclear plants in the region because the extreme heat made it
> difficult to cool the reactors
>
> https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/20/climate/global-energy-crisis-climate-war.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share
> https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/20/climate/global-energy-crisis-climate-war.html?referringSource=articleShare
>
> (Note: I support nuclear power but still…)

The big problem, I think, is really low lake levels that you could
trace to lots of things including heat. A couple-few degrees in intake
temperature makes a difference in efficiency, to be sure. But it's
small compared to the intermittency of wind (and solar), which is a much
bigger problem right now.

There are some French plants that are old that have developed cracks
in the cooling system, but you can't really relate that to the current
heat wave.

--
Growth is the only evidence of life. -- John Henry Newman