From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: NBCSBA:_Kerr_blasts_‘shameful'_Bulls_fans_for_boo
ing_late_GM_Jerry_Krause
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 13:51:09 -0500
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18
 by: Robin Miller - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 18:51 UTC

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/steve-kerr-jerry-krause-bulls-boos/1691255/

Kerr blasts ‘shameful' Bulls fans for booing late GM Jerry Krause

By Jordan Elliott

• Published January 12, 2024

The Warriors' 140-131 win over the Bulls on Friday night at United
Center was overshadowed by a controversial moment during Chicago's
halftime Ring of Honor ceremony that coach Steve Kerr described as
"shameful."

Chicago held a ceremony to honor their legendary 1995-96 roster, which
Kerr was a key member of, that included a video tribute to late general
manager Jerry Krause that was met with a chorus of boos from a loud
contingent of Bulls fans in attendance. It was an incredibly
uncomfortable scene, as Krause's widow Thelma was on hand to represent
her husband during the ceremony, thus receiving the vitriol from the fans.

Following Friday night's game, Kerr revealed he did not hear the boos
during the ceremony but shared how disgusted he was upon being told
about the incident.

"I didn't hear it. I was in the locker room, but somebody just told me
about it, and it's shameful," Kerr told reporters. "It's absolutely
shameful. I can't believe … I'm devastated for Thelma and for the Krause
family. What can we possibly be thinking? You have to understand when
you hear boos, it's not all of them, right? So the fans who booed, they
know who they are, and to me, it's absolutely shameful, and I'm
devastated by that.

"Whether people liked Jerry or not. Whether they disagreed with the
decision to move on … We're here to celebrate that team. Jerry did an
amazing job building that team. Tonight and last night was all about the
joy and the love that team shared with the city [Chicago], and I'm so
disappointed in the fans. And I want to be specific because there were
lots of fans I'm sure did not boo. But those who booed, they should be
ashamed."

Krause played a prominent role in the Bulls' storied dynasty, serving as
the general manager for six championship teams while being named NBA
Executive of the Year twice during his stint in Chicago. His tenure with
the team was not without controversy, however, as disputes with head
coach Phil Jackson gained significant attention following the airing of
"The Last Dance" documentary that chronicled Chicago's dominant run in
the '90s.

The Washington Post's J.A. Adande noted on X, formerly known as Twitter,
that when the Bulls late general manager was still alive, he revealed to
Adande that being booed by Bulls fans only bothered him when his wife
was present, adding another layer of gloom to the scene that unfolded at
United Center on Friday.

Kerr's comments echoed what many who watched the ceremony felt, as
Thelma was forced to deal with vocal discontent from fans in the stands
who tainted the intended joy of the ceremony with their boos.