The one sure way to make a lazy man look respectable is to put a fishing rod in his hand.

sport / rec.sport.football.college / Re: tOSU in good shape.......

SubjectAuthor
* tOSU in good shape.......michael anderson
+- Re: tOSU in good shape.......Irish Mike
`- Re: tOSU in good shape.......michael anderson

1
tOSU in good shape.......

<46192ea0-c883-4fd3-97b1-ca08dfbdfeb5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=65252&group=rec.sport.football.college#65252

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 19:21:11 -0800 (PST)
Subject: tOSU in good shape.......
From: mianders...@gmail.com (michael anderson)
 by: michael anderson - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 03:21 UTC

so with LSU losing tonight(they had controlled their own destiny, although beating Georgia was always going to be a longshot anyways) as well as clemson losing earlier, it's clear that only 5 teams are in contention for the playoffs: Georgia, Michigan, TCU, USC, Ohio State.

It's tempting to say well what if Kansas State blows out TCU by 35 or so?(which is not out of the question, thats a very good matchup for Kstate)

The problem with that is I just don't see how you slot kstate above tcu even if that whoop them. That would just bring the season series between those teams to 1-1. Yes, perhaps the second more recent win is given more importance with it being more recent and a conference title game, but so much importance to make it for 12-1 vs 11-2? I just don't see it....even if Kstate does whoop them and the feeling is that kstate is the superior team, I still don't see how they jump tcu.

So of the 5 still in contention, 2 obviously have locked up bids- Georgia and Michigan.

So TCU, USC, and Ohio State are playing for 2 bids.

Of those three, it's TCU and USC that clearly control their own destiny.

So why do I say tOSU is in good shape? Because kstate is likely to beat
TCU(perhaps badly), and even if TCU does find a way to win one more time there is no guarantee a very flawed USC team beats Oregon or Utah.

So Ohio State is still looking good.....they still have a 70% chance or so(probably a little higher) to make the playoffs because that is the chance that either TCU or USC loses their conference title game.

So that means....

TCU- gets in by beating Kstate. Or alternatively can get in with a USC loss
USC- gets in by winning pac12 title game(either utah or Oregon).
Ohio State- gets in with a loss by either TCU or USC in conference title game

And those three scenarios above are *ALL* you need to know about the playoff scenarios. The mainstream sports media will no doubt do a lot of useless bloviating about what could/should happen for the playoff scenarios going forward, but the above is all it comes down to....

Re: tOSU in good shape.......

<9d306984-78f1-4de4-a3c3-8d225b6de7f8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=65253&group=rec.sport.football.college#65253

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 22:36:08 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: tOSU in good shape.......
From: irishran...@gmail.com (Irish Mike)
 by: Irish Mike - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 06:36 UTC

On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 10:21:13 PM UTC-5, miande...@gmail.com wrote:
> so with LSU losing tonight(they had controlled their own destiny, although beating Georgia was always going to be a longshot anyways) as well as clemson losing earlier, it's clear that only 5 teams are in contention for the playoffs: Georgia, Michigan, TCU, USC, Ohio State.
>
> It's tempting to say well what if Kansas State blows out TCU by 35 or so?(which is not out of the question, thats a very good matchup for Kstate)
>
> The problem with that is I just don't see how you slot kstate above tcu even if that whoop them. That would just bring the season series between those teams to 1-1. Yes, perhaps the second more recent win is given more importance with it being more recent and a conference title game, but so much importance to make it for 12-1 vs 11-2? I just don't see it....even if Kstate does whoop them and the feeling is that kstate is the superior team, I still don't see how they jump tcu.
>
> So of the 5 still in contention, 2 obviously have locked up bids- Georgia and Michigan.
>
> So TCU, USC, and Ohio State are playing for 2 bids.
>
> Of those three, it's TCU and USC that clearly control their own destiny.
>
> So why do I say tOSU is in good shape? Because kstate is likely to beat
> TCU(perhaps badly), and even if TCU does find a way to win one more time there is no guarantee a very flawed USC team beats Oregon or Utah.
>
> So Ohio State is still looking good.....they still have a 70% chance or so(probably a little higher) to make the playoffs because that is the chance that either TCU or USC loses their conference title game.
>
> So that means....
>
> TCU- gets in by beating Kstate. Or alternatively can get in with a USC loss
> USC- gets in by winning pac12 title game(either utah or Oregon).
> Ohio State- gets in with a loss by either TCU or USC in conference title game
>
> And those three scenarios above are *ALL* you need to know about the playoff scenarios. The mainstream sports media will no doubt do a lot of useless bloviating about what could/should happen for the playoff scenarios going forward, but the above is all it comes down to....

Good analysis. I think you are probably right about about Ohio State
but Buckeye fans are still in so much shock and disbelief that
they aren't thinking that far ahead.

I heard Kirk Herbstreit make a similar analysis but he
put Alabama ahead of OSU, even though they have
two loses. Of course, Herbstreit will pick just about
any team over Ohio State.

Irish Mike

Re: tOSU in good shape.......

<92b92a86-82f6-4e12-b904-7c267fd024c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=65254&group=rec.sport.football.college#65254

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 23:11:52 -0800 (PST)
From: mianders...@gmail.com (michael anderson)
 by: michael anderson - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 07:11 UTC

On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 10:21:13 PM UTC-5, michael anderson wrote:
> so with LSU losing tonight(they had controlled their own destiny, although beating Georgia was always going to be a longshot anyways) as well as clemson losing earlier, it's clear that only 5 teams are in contention for the playoffs: Georgia, Michigan, TCU, USC, Ohio State.
>
> It's tempting to say well what if Kansas State blows out TCU by 35 or so?(which is not out of the question, thats a very good matchup for Kstate)
>
> The problem with that is I just don't see how you slot kstate above tcu even if that whoop them. That would just bring the season series between those teams to 1-1. Yes, perhaps the second more recent win is given more importance with it being more recent and a conference title game, but so much importance to make it for 12-1 vs 11-2? I just don't see it....even if Kstate does whoop them and the feeling is that kstate is the superior team, I still don't see how they jump tcu.
>
> So of the 5 still in contention, 2 obviously have locked up bids- Georgia and Michigan.
>
> So TCU, USC, and Ohio State are playing for 2 bids.
>
> Of those three, it's TCU and USC that clearly control their own destiny.
>
> So why do I say tOSU is in good shape? Because kstate is likely to beat
> TCU(perhaps badly), and even if TCU does find a way to win one more time there is no guarantee a very flawed USC team beats Oregon or Utah.
>
> So Ohio State is still looking good.....they still have a 70% chance or so(probably a little higher) to make the playoffs because that is the chance that either TCU or USC loses their conference title game.
>
> So that means....
>
> TCU- gets in by beating Kstate. Or alternatively can get in with a USC loss
> USC- gets in by winning pac12 title game(either utah or Oregon).
> Ohio State- gets in with a loss by either TCU or USC in conference title game
>
> And those three scenarios above are *ALL* you need to know about the playoff scenarios. The mainstream sports media will no doubt do a lot of useless bloviating about what could/should happen for the playoff scenarios going forward, but the above is all it comes down to....

oops....I made a rare mistake and somehow was writing about Kstate as if they had 2 losses rather than the 3 they have. Forgot about the tulane game. I think kstate would demolish them now but given that really really really bad loss, they are out even if they blow TCU out(which I don't rule out).

I think the only selection intrigue would be if TCU loses a very close game to Kansas State that is well played by them. Or at least thought to be. I think if that is the case one could certainly make an argument for TCU to get in over Ohio State, but in the end I think Ohio State and their road win in Happy valley is enough at 11-1 to get in over 12-1 TCU.

I just hate to see a team punished for losing in a conference title game *relative* to another team who just sat at home and leapfrogged them because they didn't make their conference title game. Which may well be the case here. But oh well.....

sport / rec.sport.football.college / Re: tOSU in good shape.......