From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG: In emotional return, Bob Myers reminds Warriors of his lasting
impact
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 14:57:24 -0800
 by: Allen - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 22:57 UTC

In emotional return, Bob Myers reminds Warriors of his lasting impact
Draymond Green: "If it wasn't for him, I'm not sure where I'd be."

>Former Golden State Warriors general manager Bob Myers, left, and
Golden State Warriors general manager Mike Dunleavy Jr. have a good time
before the start of a NBA game between the Golden State Warriors and
Milwaukee Bucks at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Wednesday,
March 6, 2024. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)

Danny Emerman is a Bay Area News Group sports reporter
By DANNY EMERMAN | demerman@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: March 7, 2024 at 5:20 a.m. | UPDATED: March 7, 2024 at 12:25 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/03/07/in-emotional-return-bob-myers-reminds-warriors-of-his-lasting-impact/

For the first time since leaving the organization last June, Bob Myers
returned to Chase Center on Wednesday night.

The former general manager who helped build and maintain Golden State’s
dynasty was a visitor in his old home. And he got a royal welcome.

At the beginning of the second quarter, the Warriors played a tribute
video on the big screen. In front of the four Larry O’Brien trophies he
played a part in bringing to the Bay, his daughters re-introduced him to
the Chase Center crowd.

Myers choked back tears as his daughters spoke on the public address
system. Steph Curry and Draymond Green stood on the court applauding. As
a “Thank You Bob Myers” message showed on the big screen, Myers smiled
in front of a standing ovation.

He evoked the kind of catharsis he helped bring to Warriors fans as a
key architect of the NBA’s modern dynasty.

“Your goal in life should always be to leave whatever it is that you’re
leaving behind in a better place than it was when you got it,” Draymond
Green said after the Warriors’ win over the Bucks. “And he far exceeded
that. He left it in the best place it could possibly be.”

The two-time Executive of the Year served as the Warriors’ general
manager for 12 seasons before leaving. He’s now a consultant for the
Washington Commanders and an analyst for ESPN, the latter gig being the
reason why he returned to Chase Center for the first time since stepping
away nine months ago.

“Occasionally, I’ll be walking my dog and we’ll run into each other,”
Steve Kerr said of his San Francisco neighbor. “It’s so fun seeing him.
I’m so happy for him, he’s living such an interesting existence. He’s
obviously doing the TV stuff, he’s great at that. But for him to get
into the NFL world, what a fascinating journey that must be. … But that
doesn’t surprise me, Bob is a guy with a lot of interests. He’s so
talented, he can help any organization, whether it’s sports-related or not.”

--
Golden State Warriors
@warriors ·Follow

7:56 PM · Mar 6, 2024
4K Reply Share
--

The Danville native came back from two decades in Los Angeles to propel
his hometown team to by far the highest mountain top in its history.

Despite not being with the team anymore, Myers’ impact, born from the
decisions he made and culture he set from the top, remains. He still
lives in the Bay Area, and while he maintains a respectful distance from
the organization, Myers keeps in touch with its key players like Kerr.

“It’s not putting the team together,” Green said. “For a basketball
savant like Bob, that’s the easy part. It was the work that he did on
the relationships. Every single day being in here, building
relationships. From the top to the bottom. From the best player to the
worst. From Joe Lacob, Peter Guber, Kirk Lacob, Steve Kerr, Raymond
Ridder, on to the community. From top to bottom. The relationships, the
work he did on relationships every day was one of my biggest takeaways
in working with Bob.”

Right outside the Warriors’ locker room, Moses Moody dapped up the man
who drafted him. Klay Thompson gave Myers a big hug. Surely he and the
rest of the Warriors have a new favorite on-air personality.

“Bob Myers is awesome,” Thompson said. “His love for the game, his
ability to be personable with everybody — just a great, great guy.”

Thompson and Myers don’t talk often, but when they connect, Thompson
said, “We hit it off like it was just yesterday.” Kerr said he and Myers
have run into each other about four or five times since the season
started. They also talk on the phone semi-weekly, mostly about Myers’
ventures.

At ESPN though, Myers has been put in the awkward position of publicly
commenting on the dynasty he helped build, on the people he developed
lifelong relationships with. That has included tumultuous moments, such
as Draymond Green’s indefinite suspension for erratic on-court behavior.

When Green picked up an early technical foul against the Bucks, Myers
quipped on the broadcast: “The best news is, if he gets kicked out after
another technical, I don’t have to go talk to him.”

It would be foolish to read much into that joke; it’s all love between
Myers and Green. As Myers’ tribute video played, Green pantomimed a
hugging motion while standing on the court. In a speech at the postgame
podium that lasted more than four minutes, Green recounted several
instances Myers made a lasting impact on him, including when the general
manager sat with him while he was suspended for Game 5 of the 2016 NBA
Finals. How he was there for Green not just when he was winning
Defensive Player of the Year awards and championships, but when things
were going wrong.

--
Anthony Slater
@anthonyVslater ·Follow

Toward the end of this clip, Draymond goes into detail about how Myers
managed him during the tough times
[video]

10:50 PM · Mar 6, 2024
1.9K Reply Share
--

“I couldn’t have asked for a more special person to spend my first 11
years with, because if it wasn’t for him, I’m not sure where I’d be,”

Myers handed the GM keys to Mike Dunleavy Jr. after the 2023 season,
shedding the weight of over a decade running what has become one of the
most valuable franchises in sports.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors rise to the occasion with complete effort in convincing win
over Bucks
A new goal for the inscrutable Warriors — just be better than the Lakers
Andrew Wiggins back with Warriors after 4-game absence
Draymond, of all people, is Warriors’ calm voice after Boston blowout
as Kerr explains Brown strategy
Warriors blown off the floor by Celtics on national TV

“I did everything I could do, the best I could do it,” Myers told The
Athletic. “I just felt like Joe (Lacob) hired me to do something. I did
it for as long (and) as well as I could. And it came to a point where I
realized I did that job in my mind. And it’s time for someone else to
take it. There was no part of me that was not happy. It wasn’t like I
was unhappy. It was just realizing it was time.”

So on Wednesday, it was time for the Warriors to celebrate him. Kevon
Looney and Thompson narrated video footage of Myers at various
championship parades.

“Such a special, special soul,” Green said. “I think we’ve all been able
to learn from him. To see him be celebrated tonight the way he should
have, you talk about jerseys getting retired and all those things — his
will. His name will be up in the rafters.”

The championship core he helped put together was still on the court as
they dismantled the Bucks, and they’ll be there as long as they’re
capable of playing like they did Wednesday. Until one day, they’re all
back together as names hanging over the Chase Center court.

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / BANG: In emotional return, Bob Myers reminds Warriors of his lasting impact