From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG: Warriors lose nail-biter to Bulls as Steph Curry leaves game
late
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 19:50:21 -0800
 by: Allen - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 03:50 UTC

Warriors lose nail-biter to Bulls as Steph Curry leaves game late
Curry rolled his right ankle late in the fourth quarter

>Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry (30) grimaces in pain after
rolling his ankle in the fourth quarter against the Chicago Bulls,
Thursday, March 7, 2024, at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif. Curry
left the game after the play. (Karl Mondon/Bay Area News Group)

Danny Emerman is a Bay Area News Group sports reporter
By DANNY EMERMAN | demerman@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: March 7, 2024 at 9:32 p.m. | UPDATED: March 7, 2024 at 11:03 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/03/07/warriors-lose-nail-biter-to-bulls-as-steph-curry-leaves-game-late/

SAN FRANCISCO — Unguarded, Draymond Green galloped down the middle of
the paint and flushed a dunk, hanging on the rim. Moments later, he
forced an Ayo Dosunmu turnover at the rim and found a streaking Brandin
Podziemski for a fast break layup.

Green’s assist to Podziemski gave him eight on the night, and the
point-center finished with his first triple-double of the season. After
a lackluster first half, the Warriors needed a dose of energy, and Green
injected it. But the Warriors needed to bottle more of his energy, and
more consistently to overcome a poor shooting night.

The Warriors (33-29) closed the game without Steph Curry, who injured
his ankle late, and Green, who fouled out. The Warriors still had a
chance to win without them, but Brandin Podziemski missed what would
have been the game-tying layup, sending Golden State to a 125-122 defeat.

>Golden State Warriors' Brandin Podziemski (2) covers his face after
missing an end-of-game lay-up that could have tied the game against the
Chicago Bulls, Thursday, March 7, 2024, at Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif. (Karl Mondon/Bay Area News Group)

The Warriors’ intensity ramped up in the fourth, but shooting 26.2% from
behind the 3-point arc requires an immense, persistent level of urgency
to conquer.

Golden State committed only three real turnovers in the first half, with
a fourth being a meaningless Draymond Green hail mary pass in the waning
seconds of the first quarter. Despite taking care of the ball, Golden
State’s shots — many of which were clean looks — weren’t falling like
they did against Milwaukee. Because the Warriors shot 29.2% from 3, they
faced a four-point deficit at halftime.

Chicago’s two-pronged offensive attack was steady. DeMar DeRozan notched
a pair and-ones and center Nikola Vucevic scored from all three levels.
They each entered halftime with 18 points and finished with 33 apiece.

To claw out of the play-in tournament, the Warriors need to play like
they did against the Bucks as often as they can. To maintain a
consistent level of play on both ends. On the second night of a
back-to-back, against title contenders like Milwaukee or less relevant
teams like Chicago.

“I think our guys feel really good right now,” Warriors coach Steve Kerr
said pregame. “It feels like guys have settled into roles and we’ve
found combinations that we like. And so we’ve been playing well for
about a month or so, and we’re just going to try to keep it going. We’ve
got a lot of ground to make up.”

>Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr talks with Klay Thompson
(11) during the second quarter of an NBA game against the Chicago Bulls,
Thursday, March 7, 2024, at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif. (Karl
Mondon/Bay Area News Group)

On Thursday, with both the Warriors and Bulls on the second night of a
back-to-back, the team with more urgency would come out on top. For the
Warriors, there’s nothing more urgent than making up ground.

Green gave Golden State some gas to start the second half, and Curry
sank consecutive 3-pointers. But the Bulls had answers, with Coby White
slashing and DeRozan herky-jerking his way to buckets.

Eight minutes into the third quarter, Curry got caught behind the play
while arguing with a ref, allowing Vucevic to score an easy basket. Kerr
furiously called timeout as his team fell back behind by four. A
miscommunication gave Jevon Carter a wide-open 3, and Onuralp Bitim and
DeRozan made it a barrage from deep.

Chicago ended the third quarter on a 22-8 run. When Golden State needed
to summon one of their classic third quarters, they got handed a setback.

“Energy,” Kerr said when asked about the middle two quarters. “Just
didn’t feel like we were pressuring the ball, rotating quickly. It just
felt like we never impacted them. They kind of got into their stuff.”

Green did his best to jolt the Warriors again, drawing a charge on Andre
Drummond early in the fourth as part of an 8-1 Warriors response. Then
Moses Moody and Jonathan Kuminga ignited the crowd with consecutive
steals, the second leading to a Klay Thompson triple to cut Chicago’s
lead to one.

There it was: urgency.

“We definitely picked it up later in the game, but we competed,” Moody
said postgame. “It’s always hard to have that energy on the second night
of a back-to-back, but we competed, I thought we did a good job of doing
that.”

With 5:51 in the fourth, Trayce Jackson-Davis delivered a strike to
Moody on the fast break to give the Warriors their first lead since
early in the third quarter. In front of a raucous home crowd, Golden
State was suddenly swarming. Curry took a charge but soon after limped
to the locker room after rolling his right ankle on a drive. Then Green
fouled out with 58 seconds remaining of a tie game, leaving the Warriors
without their two best players in crunch time.

>Golden State Warriors’ Moses Moody (4) scores on a fast break against
Chicago Bulls’ Coby White (0) in the fourth quarter, Thursday, March 7,
2024, at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif. (Karl Mondon/Bay Area
News Group)

Thompson put the Warriors ahead as the possessions dwindled, but
DeRozan’s drilled an and-1 jumper with 26 seconds and Podziemski’s
missed his point-blank layup. Chris Paul’s corner 3 gave them a sliver
of hope, but it proved fleeting.

What matters more than even making up ground, though, will be the status
of Curry’s ankle.

>Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry (30) winces in pain as he hobbles
off the court injured in the fourth quarter against the Chicago Bulls,
Thursday, March 7, 2024, at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif. (Karl
Mondon/Bay Area News Group)

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / BANG: Warriors lose nail-biter to Bulls as Steph Curry leaves game late