From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: NBCSBA: JK hopes to make Draymond proud after teammate's draft-night
plea
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 15:48:24 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
 by: Robin Miller - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 19:48 UTC

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/dubs-talk/jonathan-kuminga-draymond-green-nba-draft-night-plea/1710415/

JK hopes to make Draymond proud after teammate's draft-night plea

By Andy Lindquist

• Published 4 hours ago

Warriors forward Draymond Green planted his flag in support of Jonathan
Kuminga before the high-flying youngster became a rising Warriors star.

Since imploring then-general manager Bob Myers to select Kuminga with
the No. 7 pick in the 2021 NBA Draft, Green and the young forward have
forged a special bond as Warriors teammates, something that motivates
Kuminga to never let Green down.

Speaking to NBC Sports Bay Area’s Monte Poole and Kerith Burke on the
latest edition of “Dubs Talk,” Kuminga was asked if he had heard of
Green’s draft-night push to select him, with the young forward
explaining that he had, and ever since the two of them have been very close.

“Yeah, someone told me that before,” Kuminga said. “I always tell people
that Draymond just helping me, pushing me, every other day did not start
today, Draymond wanted me to get drafted here, so I never want to make
him look bad.

“So that’s why every time it pushes me, motivates me to be a better
person and player. I embrace it, and I just go out and make him proud,
make him believe that what he did worked.”

While Green was in Tokyo for the Olympic Games during the 2021 draft, he
stayed up late into the night and texted Myers to draft Kuminga and
guard Moses Moody with the Nos. 7 and 14 picks. While Myers had been
interested in both, to begin with, the vote of confidence from Green
sealed the decisions.

Both Moody and Kuminga have developed into legitimate scoring threats
for the Warriors, with the latter’s wicked improvement curve this season
being one of the main catalysts to Golden State’s surge up the Western
Conference standings.

Kuminga had played one season in the NBA G-League, but still was a very
raw talent going into the draft. Still, Myers, Green and the rest of the
organization saw something special in the youngster, which has paid
dividends for both Kuminga and the Warriors.

Since talking with coach Steve Kerr about his role and playing time,
Kuminga has been on a tear, consistently notching double-digit points
and giving Golden State an inside presence to complement its outside
shooting prowess.

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / NBCSBA: JK hopes to make Draymond proud after teammate's draft-night plea