From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG:_How_the_end_of_Warriors-Lakers_devolved_into_
‘bizarre’ mess
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 20:18:46 -0700
 by: Allen - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 03:18 UTC

How the end of Warriors-Lakers devolved into ‘bizarre’ mess
The final two minutes of the Warriors game took over 20 minutes to complete

>Stephen Curry #30 of the Golden State Warriors looks on during the
first half of a game against the Los Angeles Lakers at Crypto.com Arena
on March 16, 2024 in Los Angeles, California. NOTE TO USER: User
expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this
photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty
Images License Agreement. (Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images)

Danny Emerman is a Bay Area News Group sports reporter
By DANNY EMERMAN | demerman@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: March 17, 2024 at 5:20 a.m. | UPDATED: March 17, 2024 at 3:25
p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/03/17/how-the-end-of-warriors-lakers-devolved-into-bizarre-mess/

LOS ANGELES — Sitting next to his wife, Jennifer Lopez, Ben Affleck
slumped back in his courtside seat with a pained look on his face.
Across the court, tennis superstar Novak Djokovic looked around for
answers. Gary Payton II and Lester Quinones danced in front of Golden
State’s bench, clearly restless.

It took 23 minutes of actual time to complete the final two minutes of
the Warriors’ win over the Lakers. A pair of drawn-out replay reviews
disrupted the flow of a tight game, and a Crypto.com Arena shot clock
malfunction brought it to a screeching halt.

The officiating crew tried restarting play twice, only for the shot
clock to remain frozen. Without working shot clocks, or apparently
operational backup machines, the Lakers’ public address announcer
finished the last 1:35 by informing the arena of the shot clock time
every five seconds.

“That was crazy,” Draymond Green said postgame. “Just finish the game
already. That was nuts. But we got through it.”

A Crypto.com Arena spokesperson and shot clock engineer declined to
comment when approached after the game.

The stoppages weren’t without drama. Los Angeles stopped the clock
initially by challenging an out-of-bounds call, ultimately winning the
challenge because both Andrew Wiggins and Jaxson Hayes simultaneously
tapped the ball out of play.

The officiating crew also retroactively negated a LeBron James 3-pointer
that he hit moments before play paused, ruling that he stepped out of
bounds.

And two seconds after that lull, the Lakers won another challenge,
successfully earning possession by virtue of Green’s heel touching the
baseline.

Those replays took several minutes each to sort out.

“I’m not a fan of replay,” Steve Kerr said. “I think we should have
replay just for buzzer-beaters and that’s it. The whole goal with replay
is to try to get everything right, but there’s 100 plays at each end
every night that are subjective. It’s not tennis, it’s not Hawk-Eye
where the ball’s either in or out. There’s all kinds of subjective stuff
that happens. We’re never going to get everything right, I think the
flow of the game is way more important.”

--
Rob Perez
@WorldWideWob ·Follow

8:03 PM · Mar 16, 2024
14.2K Reply Share
--

Then, the shot clocks got fried. Steph Curry, in his first game back
after missing the previous three contests with an ankle sprain, had to

“It’s hard,” Lakers coach Darvin Ham said. “Guys stiffen up real quick
after playing such high intensity, and it’s out of anyone’s control when
the computer malfunctions.”

Curry and Green jogged up and down the court and did a couple sets of
high-knees to stay loose. James said postgame that during the stoppage,
the Lakers had a set play called in advance, but they didn’t get to run
it for about the length of a Seinfeld episode.

A couple times, everyone geared up to resume play, only for the shot
clock to remain frozen after the inbounds pass. After one false start,
James launched the ball high up into the air, nearly touching the
suspended center-court scoreboard in frustration.

For a league whose television product is of the utmost importance as a
substantial revenue stream, it was a horrible look on the national
broadcast. Scattered boos filled Crypto.com Arena.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors meet the moment to beat Lakers in possible play-in preview
‘You have to take the easy stuff away’: Why Warriors need to clean up
transition defense
Steph Curry likely returning to Warriors’ lineup Saturday against Lakers
Warriors face ‘daunting’ play-in battle after losing first of 5 key games
Without Steph Curry and Draymond Green, Warriors overpowered by Mavericks

“Definitely weird,” Curry said of the ending. “I watch a lot of golf, I
want to know if they did like that ‘playing through’ thing where you see
the commercials running and you’re just waiting for the game to come
back. Probably not the greatest for TV.”

The Warriors closed out Los Angeles once play resumed. Curry stayed in
front of James and swiped a steal, clinching the tight win. The victory
could have major ramifications for each team, as they’re projected to
face off in the 9-10 play-in game. The win vaulted the Warriors over the
Lakers in the standings and serves a step toward earning a tiebreaker.

But the lasting image will be the players standing aimlessly on the
court, waiting idly to do their jobs as fans looked on in frustration.

“It was bizarre,” Kerr said. “It seems like a few times a year, you get
clock issues. That’s about as extreme as I’ve ever been a part of, where
the backup unit doesn’t work either. It’s unfortunate. I felt bad for
the fans. It was a great game, and all of a sudden, the last two
minutes, everyone’s kind of just looking at each other wondering what to
do.”

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / BANG: How the end of Warriors-Lakers devolved into ‘bizarre’ mess