From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: NBCSBA: Why Kuminga believes Kerr coaches him harder than other
Warriors youngsters
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 21:49:52 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 01:49 UTC

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/dubs-talk/jonathan-kuminga-steve-kerr-coaches-harder/1710588/

Why Kuminga believes Kerr coaches him harder than other Warriors youngsters

By Andy Lindquist

• Published March 18, 2024

Steve Kerr has been known to push players with potential a little bit
harder during his 10-year Warriors tenure, something that Jonathan
Kuminga knows all too well.

Speaking to NBC Sports Bay Area’s Kerith Burke and Monte Poole on the
latest edition of “Dubs Talk,” Kuminga was asked if Kerr coaches him
harder than others, such as his former teammate Jordan Poole.

“Oh it’s worse than Jordan Poole,” Kuminga said. “There are definitely
times where I think I’m doing well, and Steve doesn’t think I’m doing
well because he wants me to do better. There was a game, I think it was
a couple of weeks ago where he just took a timeout to yell at me in
front of everybody.”

The young Warriors forward explained that Kerr does indeed push him
hard, but he recognizes that the entire coaching staff is tough on him
because they know how much potential he has.

“And obviously he yells at me all the time, so I’m used to it now and
I’m like ‘Coach, I got you,’ " Kuminga said. "Even if I think I didn’t
do anything wrong I’ll be like ‘My bad, my fault.’ He sees something I
don’t think I see, and so do all the other coaches so they push me
harder and after the game when I look back and see a good result I’m
like ‘Oh it worked.’ ”

Kuminga then was asked about his teammates, many of whom are seriously
invested in his development, and the 21-year-old was quick to point out
how impactful Kevon Looney has been as a mentor.

“I’ve got Loon,” Kuminga explained. “Loon is one of those guys who just
talks to me every day and check on me. People just don’t always see it
since he’s not loud.”

The Warriors took a chance on Kuminga, selecting him with the No. 7 pick
in the 2021 NBA Draft, and that choice has been paying off in a big way
this season.

While he had his struggles during the first half of the season,
including frustration with lack of playing time, Kuminga has become a
bruising scoring threat capable of attacking the rim from all angles.

Since Kerr and Kuminga worked out their differences after his
fourth-quarter benching during a crushing loss to the Denver Nuggets on
Jan 4. at Chase Center, the young forward has blossomed into a scorer,
notching 13 games of 20 or more points since that loss to the Nuggets.

Kuminga's continued development will be critical to the Warriors' NBA
playoff chances this season, and Kerr and the coaching staff are well
aware of what he is capable of, which is why they will continue to push
him more than others.

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / NBCSBA: Why Kuminga believes Kerr coaches him harder than other Warriors youngsters