Love means nothing to a tennis player.

sport / rec.sport.football.college / Re: Titanic and the Tourist Sub

SubjectAuthor
* Titanic and the Tourist Subirishranger317@gmail.com
+* Re: Titanic and the Tourist Subxyzzy
|`* Re: Titanic and the Tourist SubCon Reeder, unhyphenated American
| `- Re: Titanic and the Tourist Submercellusb
`* Re: Titanic and the Tourist SubRoddyMcCorley
 `* Re: Titanic and the Tourist Subirishranger317@gmail.com
  `* Re: Titanic and the Tourist Subxyzzy
   `* Re: Titanic and the Tourist Subxyzzy
    +* Re: Titanic and the Tourist SubCon Reeder, unhyphenated American
    |`* Re: Titanic and the Tourist Subxyzzy
    | +* Re: Titanic and the Tourist Submercellusb
    | |`- Re: Titanic and the Tourist SubCon Reeder, unhyphenated American
    | +- Re: Titanic and the Tourist Submercellusb
    | `* Re: Titanic and the Tourist SubCon Reeder, unhyphenated American
    |  `* Re: Titanic and the Tourist SubTimV
    |   `- Re: Titanic and the Tourist SubCorky
    `- Re: Titanic and the Tourist Submercellusb

1
Titanic and the Tourist Sub

<eeeae21b-e5a0-4216-b477-b85af4cf7e60n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=67738&group=rec.sport.football.college#67738

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 00:08:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Titanic and the Tourist Sub
From: irishran...@gmail.com (irishranger317@gmail.com)
 by: irishranger317@gmail - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 07:08 UTC

Two things about the Titanic and the missing tourist
submarine. First thing. If you have an interest in
the Titanic and its history, you would really enjoy the
Titanic Museum in Belfast, N. Ireland. This place is truly
remarkable and located by the Harland & Wolff ship yard where
the Titanic was built. I've been to a bunch of museums and
this is one of the best.

Second thing: I don't know much about the "tourist submarine"
that has gone missing while trying to do a deep to actually see
the sunken Titanic. But is seems strange to me that this vessel
didn't have some kind of high-tech fail-proof signaling system
that could be remotely activated just in case of an emergency like this.
At least the rescue ships could find it.

In any case, the odds look bad for the five people trapped
on the sub but I pray they make it.

Irish Mike

Re: Titanic and the Tourist Sub

<u6v136$2tin4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=67741&group=rec.sport.football.college#67741

From: xyzzy.d...@gmail.com (xyzzy)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Subject: Re: Titanic and the Tourist Sub
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 14:22:30 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:yYS9kQKIgABkEe7Stfyk8QGv+1Q=
 by: xyzzy - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 14:22 UTC

irishranger317@gmail.com <irishranger317@gmail.com> wrote:
> Two things about the Titanic and the missing tourist
> submarine. First thing. If you have an interest in
> the Titanic and its history, you would really enjoy the
> Titanic Museum in Belfast, N. Ireland. This place is truly
> remarkable and located by the Harland & Wolff ship yard where
> the Titanic was built. I've been to a bunch of museums and
> this is one of the best.
>
> Second thing: I don't know much about the "tourist submarine"
> that has gone missing while trying to do a deep to actually see
> the sunken Titanic. But is seems strange to me that this vessel
> didn't have some kind of high-tech fail-proof signaling system
> that could be remotely activated just in case of an emergency like this.
> At least the rescue ships could find it.
>
> In any case, the odds look bad for the five people trapped
> on the sub but I pray they make it.

Everything about that sub seems like a NOPE to me. Including that it is
sealed from the outside so even if the emergency surfacing mechanisms work
they could still suffocate while floating on the surface hoping rescuers
find them.

--
“I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
liberal personality.” — Altie

Re: Titanic and the Tourist Sub

<u6vq1n$30v7c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=67743&group=rec.sport.football.college#67743

From: Roddy.Mc...@verizon.net (RoddyMcCorley)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 17:28:24 -0400
 by: RoddyMcCorley - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 21:28 UTC

On 6/21/2023 3:08 AM, irishranger317@gmail.com wrote:
> Two things about the Titanic and the missing tourist
> submarine. First thing. If you have an interest in
> the Titanic and its history, you would really enjoy the
> Titanic Museum in Belfast, N. Ireland. This place is truly
> remarkable and located by the Harland & Wolff ship yard where
> the Titanic was built. I've been to a bunch of museums and
> this is one of the best.
>
> Second thing: I don't know much about the "tourist submarine"
> that has gone missing while trying to do a deep to actually see
> the sunken Titanic. But is seems strange to me that this vessel
> didn't have some kind of high-tech fail-proof signaling system
> that could be remotely activated just in case of an emergency like this.
> At least the rescue ships could find it.
>
> In any case, the odds look bad for the five people trapped
> on the sub but I pray they make it.
>
> Irish Mike

Visited Titanic Belfast a few years ago and stayed in the hotel that was
the original offices of Harland & Wolf. They did it up quite well. The
bar/restaurant is the old drawing room where the plans for ships were
drafted. Museum and surrounding shipyard is also excellent. They also
have the original tender that ferried passengers to various liners.

Also worth visiting is the HMS Caroline, the last surviving ship from
the Battle of Jutland during WWI. It is a five to ten minute walk from
Titanic Belfast. Unfortunately, it closed for the day about three
minutes before I got there.

RE: The submersible. Doesn't seem to be well engineered with
survivability in mind.

--
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is." Ruben Goldberg

Re: Titanic and the Tourist Sub

<9b83890b-412e-4eb9-a414-a256dcf5bf6dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=67747&group=rec.sport.football.college#67747

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 05:17:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: irishran...@gmail.com (irishranger317@gmail.com)
 by: irishranger317@gmail - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 12:17 UTC

On Wednesday, June 21, 2023 at 5:28:28 PM UTC-4, RoddyMcCorley wrote:
> On 6/21/2023 3:08 AM, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Two things about the Titanic and the missing tourist
> > submarine. First thing. If you have an interest in
> > the Titanic and its history, you would really enjoy the
> > Titanic Museum in Belfast, N. Ireland. This place is truly
> > remarkable and located by the Harland & Wolff ship yard where
> > the Titanic was built. I've been to a bunch of museums and
> > this is one of the best.
> >
> > Second thing: I don't know much about the "tourist submarine"
> > that has gone missing while trying to do a deep to actually see
> > the sunken Titanic. But is seems strange to me that this vessel
> > didn't have some kind of high-tech fail-proof signaling system
> > that could be remotely activated just in case of an emergency like this..
> > At least the rescue ships could find it.
> >
> > In any case, the odds look bad for the five people trapped
> > on the sub but I pray they make it.
> >
> > Irish Mike
> Visited Titanic Belfast a few years ago and stayed in the hotel that was
> the original offices of Harland & Wolf. They did it up quite well. The
> bar/restaurant is the old drawing room where the plans for ships were
> drafted. Museum and surrounding shipyard is also excellent. They also
> have the original tender that ferried passengers to various liners.
>
> Also worth visiting is the HMS Caroline, the last surviving ship from
> the Battle of Jutland during WWI. It is a five to ten minute walk from
> Titanic Belfast. Unfortunately, it closed for the day about three
> minutes before I got there.
>
> RE: The submersible. Doesn't seem to be well engineered with
> survivability in mind.
>
> --
> "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In
> practice, there is." Ruben Goldberg

Well a former employee of the Tourist Sub company told the owner
that the vessel was very unsafe for those depths and that
they needed to make major design changes and upgrades. The owner
fired him. The owner is now one of the five people trapped on the sub.
Karma

Irish Mike

Re: Titanic and the Tourist Sub

<u71q11$3bfrn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=67751&group=rec.sport.football.college#67751

From: xyzzy.d...@gmail.com (xyzzy)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 15:40:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:nyL/I2CZFtTEvzW6G6Dndx/wIlI=
 by: xyzzy - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 15:40 UTC

irishranger317@gmail.com <irishranger317@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 21, 2023 at 5:28:28 PM UTC-4, RoddyMcCorley wrote:
>> On 6/21/2023 3:08 AM, irishra...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Two things about the Titanic and the missing tourist
>>> submarine. First thing. If you have an interest in
>>> the Titanic and its history, you would really enjoy the
>>> Titanic Museum in Belfast, N. Ireland. This place is truly
>>> remarkable and located by the Harland & Wolff ship yard where
>>> the Titanic was built. I've been to a bunch of museums and
>>> this is one of the best.
>>>
>>> Second thing: I don't know much about the "tourist submarine"
>>> that has gone missing while trying to do a deep to actually see
>>> the sunken Titanic. But is seems strange to me that this vessel
>>> didn't have some kind of high-tech fail-proof signaling system
>>> that could be remotely activated just in case of an emergency like this.
>>> At least the rescue ships could find it.
>>>
>>> In any case, the odds look bad for the five people trapped
>>> on the sub but I pray they make it.
>>>
>>> Irish Mike
>> Visited Titanic Belfast a few years ago and stayed in the hotel that was
>> the original offices of Harland & Wolf. They did it up quite well. The
>> bar/restaurant is the old drawing room where the plans for ships were
>> drafted. Museum and surrounding shipyard is also excellent. They also
>> have the original tender that ferried passengers to various liners.
>>
>> Also worth visiting is the HMS Caroline, the last surviving ship from
>> the Battle of Jutland during WWI. It is a five to ten minute walk from
>> Titanic Belfast. Unfortunately, it closed for the day about three
>> minutes before I got there.
>>
>> RE: The submersible. Doesn't seem to be well engineered with
>> survivability in mind.
>>
>> --
>> "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In
>> practice, there is." Ruben Goldberg
>
> Well a former employee of the Tourist Sub company told the owner
> that the vessel was very unsafe for those depths and that
> they needed to make major design changes and upgrades. The owner
> fired him. The owner is now one of the five people trapped on the sub.
> Karma
>
> Irish Mike

According to a news article my wife saw, 7:08 am eastern time today is the
longest their air could last. So RIP I guess.

If it imploded they’ll probably never find it.

--
“I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
liberal personality.” — Altie

Re: Titanic and the Tourist Sub

<u7280v$3d68k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=67754&group=rec.sport.football.college#67754

From: xyzzy.d...@gmail.com (xyzzy)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 19:39:11 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:2rzsb9S0XgXio7aa/MQLTzt3vOs=
 by: xyzzy - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 19:39 UTC

xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:
> irishranger317@gmail.com <irishranger317@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Visited Titanic Belfast a few years ago and stayed in the hotel that was
>>> the original offices of Harland & Wolf. They did it up quite well. The
>>> bar/restaurant is the old drawing room where the plans for ships were
>>> drafted. Museum and surrounding shipyard is also excellent. They also
>>> have the original tender that ferried passengers to various liners.
>>>
>>> Also worth visiting is the HMS Caroline, the last surviving ship from
>>> the Battle of Jutland during WWI. It is a five to ten minute walk from
>>> Titanic Belfast. Unfortunately, it closed for the day about three
>>> minutes before I got there.
>>>
>>> RE: The submersible. Doesn't seem to be well engineered with
>>> survivability in mind.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In
>>> practice, there is." Ruben Goldberg
>>
>> Well a former employee of the Tourist Sub company told the owner
>> that the vessel was very unsafe for those depths and that
>> they needed to make major design changes and upgrades. The owner
>> fired him. The owner is now one of the five people trapped on the sub.
>> Karma
>>
>> Irish Mike
>>

> According to a news article my wife saw, 7:08 am eastern time today is the
> longest their air could last. So RIP I guess.
>
> If it imploded they’ll probably never find it.

Well that was about as fast as a prediction has been disproven here.

--
“I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
liberal personality.” — Altie

Re: Titanic and the Tourist Sub

<slrnu9dphl.24h3e.constance@karen.heins.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=67761&group=rec.sport.football.college#67761

From: consta...@duxmail.com (Con Reeder, unhyphenated American)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 12:48:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Con Reeder, unhyphen - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 12:48 UTC

On 2023-06-21, xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:
> irishranger317@gmail.com <irishranger317@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Two things about the Titanic and the missing tourist
>> submarine. First thing. If you have an interest in
>> the Titanic and its history, you would really enjoy the
>> Titanic Museum in Belfast, N. Ireland. This place is truly
>> remarkable and located by the Harland & Wolff ship yard where
>> the Titanic was built. I've been to a bunch of museums and
>> this is one of the best.
>>
>> Second thing: I don't know much about the "tourist submarine"
>> that has gone missing while trying to do a deep to actually see
>> the sunken Titanic. But is seems strange to me that this vessel
>> didn't have some kind of high-tech fail-proof signaling system
>> that could be remotely activated just in case of an emergency like this.
>> At least the rescue ships could find it.
>>
>> In any case, the odds look bad for the five people trapped
>> on the sub but I pray they make it.
>
> Everything about that sub seems like a NOPE to me. Including that it is
> sealed from the outside so even if the emergency surfacing mechanisms work
> they could still suffocate while floating on the surface hoping rescuers
> find them.

On the FB group for my submarine, we have multiple submarine engineers who
mention several red flags on the design. First is the use of two materials,
titanium and carbon alloys, which will have different temperature and pressure
characteristics. They say the behavior of that on a pressure hull operating
at that depth is unknown, and they suspect that this was the reason for the
catastrophic hull failure.

Second is that both titanium and carbon alloys have already been found
to be unsuitable for long-term stress in underwater environments. The
Russians had a number of problems with their titanium hulls, and the U.S.
has never used them partly for this reason.

--
Find the grain of truth in criticism, chew it, and swallow
it. -- anonymous

Re: Titanic and the Tourist Sub

<slrnu9dpm2.24h3e.constance@karen.heins.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=67762&group=rec.sport.football.college#67762

From: consta...@duxmail.com (Con Reeder, unhyphenated American)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 12:51:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Con Reeder, unhyphen - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 12:51 UTC

On 2023-06-22, xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:
> xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:
>> irishranger317@gmail.com <irishranger317@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well a former employee of the Tourist Sub company told the owner
>>> that the vessel was very unsafe for those depths and that
>>> they needed to make major design changes and upgrades. The owner
>>> fired him. The owner is now one of the five people trapped on the sub.
>>> Karma
>>>
>>> Irish Mike
>>>

>> According to a news article my wife saw, 7:08 am eastern time today is the
>> longest their air could last. So RIP I guess.
>>
>> If it imploded they’ll probably never find it.
>>

> Well that was about as fast as a prediction has been disproven here.

They knew it was gone a few days ago. SOSUS (Sound Surveillance
System) heard the implosion event. It's unclear whether they told the
Coast Guard right away, but they wouldn't release the info as the
SOSUS network is still top secret.

--
Find the grain of truth in criticism, chew it, and swallow
it. -- anonymous

Re: Titanic and the Tourist Sub

<2b2cdeeb-906d-4aee-8146-9645ef70be92n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=67766&group=rec.sport.football.college#67766

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 07:46:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: tdra...@gmail.com (mercellusb)
 by: mercellusb - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 14:46 UTC

TMML

Re: Titanic and the Tourist Sub

<u76vo1$4r0o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=67767&group=rec.sport.football.college#67767

From: xyzzy.d...@gmail.com (xyzzy)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 14:48:33 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:FrAONbJgF+v8T5Zi2SnhyaNINqE=
 by: xyzzy - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 14:48 UTC

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American <constance@duxmail.com> wrote:
> On 2023-06-22, xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:
>> xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> According to a news article my wife saw, 7:08 am eastern time today is the
>>> longest their air could last. So RIP I guess.
>>>
>>> If it imploded they’ll probably never find it.
>>>

>> Well that was about as fast as a prediction has been disproven here.
>>

> They knew it was gone a few days ago. SOSUS (Sound Surveillance
> System) heard the implosion event. It's unclear whether they told the
> Coast Guard right away, but they wouldn't release the info as the
> SOSUS network is still top secret.

I’m glad for them it was an implosion and not a slow death from suffocation
that gave them plenty of time to contemplate their situation.

But I don’t buy that it was so instantaneous that they never knew what hit
them. Sure the implosion event itself but surely there was creaking and
leaking beforehand?

--
“I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
liberal personality.” — Altie

Re: Titanic and the Tourist Sub

<a10c1692-5bf5-4b6d-94f7-e2d4c08f1127n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=67768&group=rec.sport.football.college#67768

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 07:49:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: tdra...@gmail.com (mercellusb)
 by: mercellusb - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 14:49 UTC

On Saturday, June 24, 2023 at 7:48:58 AM UTC-5, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:
> On 2023-06-21, xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > irishra...@gmail.com <irishra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Two things about the Titanic and the missing tourist
> >> submarine. First thing. If you have an interest in
> >> the Titanic and its history, you would really enjoy the
> >> Titanic Museum in Belfast, N. Ireland. This place is truly
> >> remarkable and located by the Harland & Wolff ship yard where
> >> the Titanic was built. I've been to a bunch of museums and
> >> this is one of the best.
> >>
> >> Second thing: I don't know much about the "tourist submarine"
> >> that has gone missing while trying to do a deep to actually see
> >> the sunken Titanic. But is seems strange to me that this vessel
> >> didn't have some kind of high-tech fail-proof signaling system
> >> that could be remotely activated just in case of an emergency like this.
> >> At least the rescue ships could find it.
> >>
> >> In any case, the odds look bad for the five people trapped
> >> on the sub but I pray they make it.
> >
> > Everything about that sub seems like a NOPE to me. Including that it is
> > sealed from the outside so even if the emergency surfacing mechanisms work
> > they could still suffocate while floating on the surface hoping rescuers
> > find them.
> On the FB group for my submarine, we have multiple submarine engineers who
> mention several red flags on the design. First is the use of two materials,
> titanium and carbon alloys, which will have different temperature and pressure
> characteristics. They say the behavior of that on a pressure hull operating
> at that depth is unknown, and they suspect that this was the reason for the
> catastrophic hull failure.
>
> Second is that both titanium and carbon alloys have already been found
> to be unsuitable for long-term stress in underwater environments. The
> Russians had a number of problems with their titanium hulls, and the U.S.
> has never used them partly for this reason.
>
> --
> Find the grain of truth in criticism, chew it, and swallow
> it. -- anonymous

Carbon fiber is great for race cars, not so much under compression.

Re: Titanic and the Tourist Sub

<b34773af-15fb-45b8-9888-99ac04ec16c9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=67769&group=rec.sport.football.college#67769

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 07:50:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: tdra...@gmail.com (mercellusb)
 by: mercellusb - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 14:50 UTC

tick tick boom

Re: Titanic and the Tourist Sub

<d58d411b-488d-4b02-a5f2-75e3f9c541c5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=67770&group=rec.sport.football.college#67770

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 07:57:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: tdra...@gmail.com (mercellusb)
 by: mercellusb - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 14:57 UTC

On Saturday, June 24, 2023 at 9:48:37 AM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
> Con Reeder, unhyphenated American <cons...@duxmail.com> wrote:

> >> Well that was about as fast as a prediction has been disproven here.
> >>

> > They knew it was gone a few days ago. SOSUS (Sound Surveillance
> > System) heard the implosion event. It's unclear whether they told the
> > Coast Guard right away, but they wouldn't release the info as the
> > SOSUS network is still top secret.
> >
> I’m glad for them it was an implosion and not a slow death from suffocation
> that gave them plenty of time to contemplate their situation.
>
> But I don’t buy that it was so instantaneous that they never knew what hit
> them. Sure the implosion event itself but surely there was creaking and
> leaking beforehand?
> --
> “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
> liberal personality.” — Altie

The article where they get quotes from James Cameron is good. He said that whatever sensors were being used, that it’s not like a “check oil” light. Hey, has anyone seen Kate Winslet lately?

Re: Titanic and the Tourist Sub

<slrnu9hr5r.25a45.constance@karen.heins.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=67803&group=rec.sport.football.college#67803

From: consta...@duxmail.com (Con Reeder, unhyphenated American)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 01:41:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Con Reeder, unhyphen - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 01:41 UTC

On 2023-06-24, xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:
> Con Reeder, unhyphenated American <constance@duxmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well that was about as fast as a prediction has been disproven here.
>>>

>> They knew it was gone a few days ago. SOSUS (Sound Surveillance
>> System) heard the implosion event. It's unclear whether they told the
>> Coast Guard right away, but they wouldn't release the info as the
>> SOSUS network is still top secret.
>>

> I’m glad for them it was an implosion and not a slow death from suffocation
> that gave them plenty of time to contemplate their situation.

Yup. Much better to be instantly turned into tomato paste than slow
suffocation.

> But I don’t buy that it was so instantaneous that they never knew what hit
> them. Sure the implosion event itself but surely there was creaking and
> leaking beforehand?

If they were at depth, death was instantaneous. I have had discussions
on this topic with knowledgeable people. When you face this kind of death
on a regular basis, you can't help but think and talk about it.

--
Envy was once considered to be one of the seven deadly sins before
it became one of the most admired virtues under its new name,

Re: Titanic and the Tourist Sub

<slrnu9hr71.25a45.constance@karen.heins.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=67804&group=rec.sport.football.college#67804

From: consta...@duxmail.com (Con Reeder, unhyphenated American)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 01:41:54 -0000 (UTC)

On 2023-06-24, mercellusb <tdrake7@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, June 24, 2023 at 9:48:37 AM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
>> Con Reeder, unhyphenated American <cons...@duxmail.com> wrote:

>> > They knew it was gone a few days ago. SOSUS (Sound Surveillance
>> > System) heard the implosion event. It's unclear whether they told the
>> > Coast Guard right away, but they wouldn't release the info as the
>> > SOSUS network is still top secret.
>> >
>> I’m glad for them it was an implosion and not a slow death from suffocation
>> that gave them plenty of time to contemplate their situation.
>>
>> But I don’t buy that it was so instantaneous that they never knew what hit
>> them. Sure the implosion event itself but surely there was creaking and
>> leaking beforehand?
>> --
>> “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
>> liberal personality.” — Altie
>
> tick tick boom

That's pretty apt.

--
Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities,
we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college!

Re: Titanic and the Tourist Sub

<7b561157-809a-4bb0-8d58-a77462c465e3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=67810&group=rec.sport.football.college#67810

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 17:25:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: tim.vanw...@gmail.com (TimV)
 by: TimV - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 00:25 UTC

On Sunday, June 25, 2023 at 8:41:19 PM UTC-5, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:
> On 2023-06-24, xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Con Reeder, unhyphenated American <cons...@duxmail.com> wrote:

> >> They knew it was gone a few days ago. SOSUS (Sound Surveillance
> >> System) heard the implosion event. It's unclear whether they told the
> >> Coast Guard right away, but they wouldn't release the info as the
> >> SOSUS network is still top secret.
> >>

> > I’m glad for them it was an implosion and not a slow death from suffocation
> > that gave them plenty of time to contemplate their situation.
> Yup. Much better to be instantly turned into tomato paste than slow
> suffocation.
> > But I don’t buy that it was so instantaneous that they never knew what hit
> > them. Sure the implosion event itself but surely there was creaking and
> > leaking beforehand?
> If they were at depth, death was instantaneous. I have had discussions
> on this topic with knowledgeable people. When you face this kind of death
> on a regular basis, you can't help but think and talk about it.
>
> --
> Envy was once considered to be one of the seven deadly sins before
> it became one of the most admired virtues under its new name,
> 'social justice'. -- Thomas Sowell

Yes, they may have had a clue something was up if there was groaning, but once the implosion started, it would happen faster than they could have sensed it. It would probably be rushing inwards at several thousands miles and hour. The air in the sub would have instantly combusted followed by the shell and then the water at those speeds. There likely would be nothing left. It’s gruesome, but not a bad way to go. One millisecond you’re there, the next you’re not. No pain, no slowly dying brain.

Re: Titanic and the Tourist Sub

<5212e4db-ee6b-4394-a7b4-b121e2184c43n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=67812&group=rec.sport.football.college#67812