From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: NBCSBA: Looney relishes mentoring Warriors youngsters Kuminga,
Jackson-Davis
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 00:20:20 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
 by: Robin Miller - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 04:20 UTC

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/kevon-looney-jonathan-kuminga-trayce-jackson-davis/1715094/

Looney relishes mentoring Warriors youngsters Kuminga, Jackson-Davis

By Jordan Elliott

• Published 4 hours ago

Kevon Looney's minutes have dwindled during the 2023-24 NBA season, but
his impact on the Warriors remains.

During an interview on the most recent "Dubs Talk," Looney revealed to
NBC Sports Bay Area's Monte Poole that mentoring Golden State youngsters
like Jonathan Kuminga and Trayce Jackson-Davis is a great source of
pride for him.

"I feel like that's a big part of my role," Looney told Poole about
serving as a resource for Kuminga and Jackson-Davis. "We can't win
without those guys. Them guys have been big game-changers for the whole
season.

"As soon as they started playing well, our team started playing well. My
job is to go out there to make sure that they see the game how our team
wants [it] to be seen."

Looney is in his ninth NBA season and has won three championships
alongside the fabled Big Three of Steph Curry, Draymond Green and Klay
Thompson.

The veteran big man explained how these ties to Golden State's glory
years allow him to serve as a middleman of sorts between the
generational core and the up-and-coming youngsters.

"Also they'll have questions, comments or grievances, I'll hear them
out, talk them through it," Looney revealed. "Give the message to Steph
[Curry], give the message to Draymond [Green] like, 'Aye, man. We got to
get our young guys going.' Just try to be that middle man and make sure
everything is flowing all right.

"I feel like Draymond, he's a leader, he's got a lot on his plate. Steph
has a lot on his plate, and so my job is to make sure all the small
things -- the grievances, the decision-making -- making sure everybody
feels comfortable and that we're performing at a high level. That's my
job, to make sure everything goes smooth."

Looney averaged 23.9 minutes per game during the 2022-23 NBA season,
starting 70 of the Warriors' 82 regular-season games. This season,
Looney's minutes per game has dropped to 16.9 while only starting half
of Golden State's games.

The glass-eating center also saw his remarkable consecutive games played
streak snapped last month, after appearing in 290 consecutive contests
dating back to March 2021.

Despite his reduced role, Looney remains engaged as ever, determined to
do whatever he can to help the Warriors find success.

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / NBCSBA: Looney relishes mentoring Warriors youngsters Kuminga, Jackson-Davis