From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: NBCSBA: Kuminga's former G-League team to cease operations at
season's end
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 00:23:27 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
 by: Robin Miller - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 04:23 UTC

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/jonathan-kuminga-jalen-green-g-league-ignite/1715848/

Kuminga's former G-League team to cease operations at season's end

By Jordan Elliott

• Published 2 hours ago

Jonathan Kuminga's path to the Warriors was paved with a stint on the
G-League Ignite -- an upstart team based in Walnut Creek with the
intention of developing NBA prospects.

The Ignite -- which is owned by the league -- announced the 2023-24
season would be its last, NBA G League president Shareef Abdur-Rahim
announced in a statement released on Thursday.

The decision to cease operations comes on the heel of the significant
changes to the NCAA landscape with the transfer portal and NIL restructure.

There was a solid track record of success for the Ignite serving as a
springboard to the league for a handful of top prospects, producing 10
players who were selected in the NBA draft over the last three seasons.
Kuminga was the third-highest draft pick to be selected after playing
for the Ignite, with Golden State selecting the dynamic wing No. 7
overall in the 2021 NBA Draft.

Only Jalen Green (No. 2 overall in 2021) and Scoot Henderson (No. 3
overall in 2023) were selected higher than Kuminga after a stint with
the Ignite.

"Four years ago, we started Ignite to fill a void in the basketball
landscape, and I'm proud of the contributions we were able to make to
that ecosystem," Abdur-Rahim said in his statement. " With the changing
environment across youth and collegiate basketball, now is the right
time to take this step. I want to extend my sincere gratitude to general
manager Anthony McClish, head coach Jason Hard and their staff and to
each player who wore an Ignite jersey, As ever, the G League's
commitment to developibg top NBA talent and helping their NBA dreams is
unwavering."

While the Ignite will cease to operate at the conclusion of this season,
the Warriors will forever be grateful for the launching pad the Ignite
served as for Kuminga's leap into the NBA.

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / NBCSBA: Kuminga's former G-League team to cease operations at season's end