From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG: Brutal third quarter dooms Warriors in loss to Pacers
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 19:44:12 -0700
 by: Allen - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 02:44 UTC

Brutal third quarter dooms Warriors in loss to Pacers
Golden State fell apart in the third, losing the period by 15
>Indiana Pacers’ Obi Toppin (1) dunks past Golden State Warriors’
Draymond Green (23) in the second quarter of their NBA game at Chase
Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Friday, March 22, 2024. (Jose Carlos
Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)

Danny Emerman is a Bay Area News Group sports reporter
By DANNY EMERMAN | demerman@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: March 22, 2024 at 9:28 p.m. | UPDATED: March 23, 2024 at 2:36
p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/03/22/warriors-pacers-third-quarter-chase-center-haliburton/

SAN FRANCISCO — Hardly anything went right for the Warriors in the third
quarter.

Draymond Green, who’s been dealing with a back injury for weeks, went
into the locker room but later returned. The Warriors tripled their
turnover total from the first half. Steph Curry had two 3-pointers
blocked. Tyrese Haliburton, who sent the Warriors into halftime with a
33-foot buzzer beater, hit a rainbowing 27-footer at the horn.

Haliburton dropped 11 points in the third quarter that the Pacers won 36-21.

“They out-hustled us, out-competed us,” said Steph Curry, who went
9-for-24. “Disappointing night all around.”

The Warriors (36-33) didn’t have enough juice in the fourth quarter to
climb out of the deficit. Haliburton registered 25 points, 11 assists
and four steals and his star running mate Pascal Siakam tallied 25
points, 16 boards and six assists. With the 123-111 loss, the Warriors
are now two games ahead of the Houston Rockets in the standings, at risk
of losing their play-in status with matchups on the road against three
playoff contenders — Minnesota, Miami and Orlando — upcoming.

“It sucks,” Curry said. “When you go on a long road trip, then get the
opportunity to protect your home court — we’ve talked about that so many
times — we didn’t do it.”

Golden State dropped two of three games at home this week, falling to
18-19 in the Chase Center on the year. The Pacers moved to 5-0 all-time
in Chase Center, making them the statistical anomaly of being the only
team with an undefeated record in the new San Francisco arena.

A high-scoring affair wasn’t surprising. Indiana leads the league in
points per game and recent breakdowns have had the Warriors ranked 20th
in defensive rating over the past 10 games. Indiana also gives up the
most 3-pointers in the league.

The Warriors led in the first half by as much as 12, but a 12-3 Pacers
run — including Haliburton’s insane buzzer-beater — cut Golden State’s
lead to 67-66. Brandin Podziemski had 11 first-half points, breaking out
of his recent shooting slump, and Klay Thompson was feeling it early; he
shimmied after one of his three first-half 3s.

But Indiana’s explosive third quarter broke the game open. In their last
game, a win over the Grizzlies, the Warriors tallied a season-high 43
assists compared to just six turnovers. They matched that turnover
figure in the third quarter, leading to frequent leakouts from Indiana.
Golden State got rushed, resulting in poor shot selection and errant passes.

Jonathan Kuminga crossed over at full speed for a dunk in transition,
but later missed a wide-open jam. Haliburton, who has struggled since
the All-Star break, couldn’t miss. Pascal Siakam bullied smaller
defenders inside. Even TJ McConnell was getting downhill.

“We kind of caved in a little bit,” Podziemski said of the third quarter.

Golden State’s defensive issues aren’t always the same. Sometimes the
Warriors don’t close out to a hot hand tightly enough. Sometimes there
are communication breakdowns. Sometimes matchups can take advantage of
the Warriors’ smaller lineups.

“We have to maintain a higher level of intensity and energy and
discipline, all that,” Steve Kerr said pregame.

Facing a 14-point deficit in the fourth quarter, the Warriors resorted
to a 2-3 zone defense to slow down Indiana. It disrupted the Pacers’
rhythm by daring Myles Turner to take above-the-break 3s. Indiana scored
just 14 points in the first nine minutes of the fourth.

The Warriors were finally getting stops.

An Andrew Wiggins midrange shot in transition trimmed the Warriors’
deficit to seven. Trayce Jackson-Davis added an and-1 putback to keep
the Warriors in it with under two minutes left.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Stanford’s roadblock to NCAA regional is Iowa State post Audi Crooks
Stanford too much for Norfolk State in NCAA Tournament opener
The Warriors need a special type of center next to Draymond Green.
The Pacers have one.
March Madness trivia, you say? Try this women’s NCAA Tournament quiz
Stanford hopes attitude adjustment helps Cardinal move past Maples
Pavilion in NCAA Tournament

But the Warriors couldn’t capitalize. They held the Pacers to 21 points
in the frame, but only scored 23. Chris Paul fouled Siakam on a drive,
Klay Thompson threw away an inbounds pass and Paul air-mailed a corner
3. Kuminga, who went 4-for-17, bricked a pair of tough shots. The hole
they dug themselves in the third quarter was too deep.

Paul picked up a pair of technicals with the game decided — one for
calling Tony Brothers a “Tik Tokker” and another for telling him he has
too much power — getting himself kicked out of the game. He and his team
had both seen enough.

The Warriors have 13 games left to not only stave off the Houston
Rockets, who have won nine of 10, but rediscover their identity. Curry
said there’s still enough games left to “right the ship.” A perhaps
willfully ignorant Podziemski said they’re still chasing the 7/8 seeds.
Paul said “we don’t have a choice” but to figure things out in the
remaining three weeks.

“There’s nothing I need to recalibrate,” Kerr said when asked about his
team’s big picture prospects. “I think we know who our team is. We just
have to stay with it. We’re disappointed, obviously, in this home stand.
We were hoping to get all three and we only got one, and that’s put us
in a tough spot.”

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / BANG: Brutal third quarter dooms Warriors in loss to Pacers