From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: The Warriors need to change their defensive approach
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 13:00:21 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 17:00 UTC

They won't make a change this late in the season, of course, but they
really need to stop doubling the driver. They're just too slow to
recover to guard the inevitable kick-out to the corner three-point
shooter. Last night against Minnesota they gave up 21 three-point
baskets and 19 two-point shots. The Wolves shot 52.5% (21-40) on
three-point shots and 43.2% (19-44) on two-point shots, which include
several dunks. Turn five of the three-point makes into two-point baskets
(without fouling) and the Warriors win the game (theoretically).

Maybe the Warriors should just stop doubling altogether unless it's a
trap as they just don't recover in time, even when the double is on the
perimeter.

--Robin

Re: The Warriors need to change their defensive approach

<utst49$1bfsg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=6804&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#6804

From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 15:16:41 -0700
 by: Allen - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 22:16 UTC

I was thinking the same thing yesterday, after I saw so many cases of
the below. It occurred to me "I can't blame Kuminga for all of that -
I'm seeing lots of Warriors in the same situation - crowding the middle
and then scrambling to cover an open shooter in the corner." And then
thinking "maybe it's the Warriors approach more than it's the players."
Maybe more the coaches then the players. Although I was also thinking if
they communicated better they might be able to limit this problem. But
with all those very young guys that might be too much to expect.

-AL

On 3/25/2024 10:00 AM, Robin Miller wrote:

> They won't make a change this late in the season, of course, but they
> really need to stop doubling the driver. They're just too slow to
> recover to guard the inevitable kick-out to the corner three-point
> shooter. Last night against Minnesota they gave up 21 three-point
> baskets and 19 two-point shots. The Wolves shot 52.5% (21-40) on
> three-point shots and 43.2% (19-44) on two-point shots, which include
> several dunks. Turn five of the three-point makes into two-point baskets
> (without fouling) and the Warriors win the game (theoretically).
>
> Maybe the Warriors should just stop doubling altogether unless it's a
> trap as they just don't recover in time, even when the double is on the
> perimeter.
>
> --Robin

Re: The Warriors need to change their defensive approach

<l6es25Fn10vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=6807&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#6807

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 23:00:18 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 03:00 UTC

Allen wrote:
> I was thinking the same thing yesterday, after I saw so many cases of
> the below. It occurred to me "I can't blame Kuminga for all of that -
> I'm seeing lots of Warriors in the same situation - crowding the middle
> and then scrambling to cover an open shooter in the corner." And then
> thinking "maybe it's the Warriors approach more than it's the players."
> Maybe more the coaches then the players. Although I was also thinking if
> they communicated better they might be able to limit this problem. But
> with all those very young guys that might be too much to expect.
>
> -AL

They do it so consistently, and have all season, that I think it has to
be how they're taught to play, probably because they don't have a rim
protector in the middle (although TJD is starting to play that role).

But it really needs to change. And it seems to me that it takes the
Warriors away from their strengths in some cases, as several of the
players are good, or at least pretty good, one-on-one defenders.

--Robin