From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG/Kurtenbach:_The_Warriors_can’t_decide_what
_they_want_to_be,_so_the_league_is_deciding_for_them
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 16:17:07 -0700
 by: Allen - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 23:17 UTC

Kurtenbach: The Warriors can’t decide what they want to be, so the
league is deciding for them
Golden State Warriors: Both the present and future are in doubt for
Steph Curry and the flailing Warriors.
>Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green (23) reacts to an officials call
while playing the Indiana Pacers in the third quarter of their NBA game
at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Friday, March 22, 2024. The
Indiana Pacers defeated the Golden State Warriors 123-111. (Jose Carlos
Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)

By DIETER KURTENBACH | dkurtenbach@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News
Group
PUBLISHED: March 25, 2024 at 11:17 a.m. | UPDATED: March 25, 2024 at
3:22 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/03/25/kurtenbach-the-warriors-cant-decide-what-they-want-to-be-so-the-league-is-deciding-for-them/

Here are two not-so-fun facts about the Golden State Warriors:

• They’re the most expensive team in NBA history.

• With 12 games remaining this season, they’re closer to falling out of
the play-in tournament than moving up to the No. 9 seed.

Let these facts be your north stars as the Warriors close out this
absurd, incongruous season.

And then let me know where they take you, because, outside of “don’t let
the Warriors’ front office manage your investments,” I’m finding it
quite difficult to garner purpose or meaning from this cursed campaign.

This team seems to be on a road to nowhere, and it’s as bumpy as an East
Oakland side street.

The Warriors, of course, didn’t expect to be in this unbecoming position
— No. 10 in the Western Conference. They might not even hold that
position much longer, as the young, plucky Houston Rockets, the hottest
team in the NBA, are now nipping at their tail, one game away from fully
closing what was a five-game gap earlier this month.

Meanwhile, the Warriors, losers of three of their last four, are either
a team that has run out of gas or a team playing with an entitlement
this season’s squad hasn’t earned.

Either way, alarms are ringing, and the Warriors seem stunningly unaffected.

“I don’t give a damn about the Rockets,” Draymond Green said after
Sunday’s loss to the Timberwolves.

Green might not care about the Rockets, but they care deeply about him.

The whole league cares about the Warriors.

They have collectively plotted their revenge for years, patiently
waiting for a weak Warriors team. Now that they have one, they’re keen
to vent some pent-up frustration.

The Warriors can’t decide what they want to be this season — contenders
or chumps — so the league is deciding for them.

It all throws more than just the season’s final few weeks into question.

In past dynastic years, the Dubs waited until the last minute to “flip
the switch.” Is this far less talented team—hanging on to the last
postseason spot in the West by the narrowest of margins—planning on
doing the same?

Is there even a switch to flip?

These big questions may or may not be answered in the season’s final weeks.

They certainly make the (justified) debate over whether Steph Curry
should have played 30 or 32 minutes in Minnesota on Sunday seem trite.

After all, Curry didn’t force Andrew Wiggins, Trayce Jackson-Davis, or
Chris Paul to turn the ball over to start the fourth quarter. And while
Curry is part of the Warriors’ season-long problem of allowing opponents
to shoot wide-open 3-pointers, the Warriors seemed capable of allowing
those wide-open looks for deep without him on the court for those two
fourth-quarter minutes, too.

“We’ve put the burden of this franchise on his shoulders for 15 years,”
Warriors coach Steve Kerr said after that game. “We can’t expect him to
play 35 minutes … If you want to say that him playing 30 minutes instead
of 32 is a difference between a win and a loss, I totally disagree with
that. We’re trying to win the game. And we’re trying to keep him fresh,
too.”

Fair enough. Logical and sound thinking.

That acknowledged, riding Curry like there’s no tomorrow seems to be the
only viable and repeatable plan for success for this Dubs team.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Correction: Schiff’s position in Congress
Why Kerr limited Steph Curry’s minutes in Warriors’ loss to Timberwolves
Warriors slip in 4th quarter for tight loss to Timberwolves
‘His career was on the line’: Steve Kerr reflects on Draymond Green’s
season since last Rudy Gobert matchup
Brutal third quarter dooms Warriors in loss to Pacers

The Warriors lack an honest-to-goodness No. 2. It’s the defining truth
of their season.

Klay Thompson can’t play that role anymore, Wiggins — the second-best
player on a title team less than two years ago — doesn’t seem interested
in the job, and Jonathan Kuminga desperately wants the gig but cannot
fully perform the duties on a night-to-night basis. He’s 21 years old,
after all.

So if the Warriors want to win games, they have no choice but to ride
Curry — a true superstar — until the wheels come off.

And let’s be honest: That could be any day now.

Sorry if that offends you, but it’s plain to see if you’re willing to
accept the reality of the situation.

We’re seeing Curry struggle as if he was a mere mortal as of late. He
played at half-speed against the Pacers on Friday, getting easily outrun
down the court when he was on defense and doing a lot of standing on
offense.

An uncharacteristic performance? Sure.

But it wasn’t a one-off.

At least one lug nut is loose here. Amazingly, it took this long for
that to happen.

So, following Friday’s game, can you blame Kerr and the Warriors
coaching staff for being hesitant to push Curry at the start of a
stretch during which the Warriors will play eight games in eight
different arenas in 13 days?

Not long ago, the Warriors managed Curry’s season-long workload by
resting him for the fourth quarters of blowout games.

Now, fighting for their postseason lives, they have to decide whether to
rob Peter to pay (Chris) Paul with his minutes.

I reject the belief that titles are all that matters in the NBA. But as
we watch this Warriors team flounder amid the season’s home stretch, it
is fair to wonder, “What are we doing here?”

I’m not suggesting Dubs should give up on this season. Golden State
still has moments of worthwhileness.

But they are fleeting and far too infrequent.

The ratio between quality and disjointedness is out of whack and only
worsening. It’s hard to imagine a dramatic turnaround in the final three
weeks. Perhaps they hold onto that play-in spot. Maybe not.

I don’t know exactly how this season ends, but I don’t foresee it ending
in a better position than last year when the Dubs were embarrassed in
the second round.

After that series, the Warriors veterans were adamant they would run it
back.

Curry, Draymond Green, and Klay Thompson shouldn’t be allowed to peddle
that same kind of soft power again at the end of this season.

Who would want to run this back?

The Warriors can’t afford to stick with the current plan. The league’s
new collective bargaining agreement is exceptionally punitive (to the
point of being vindictive) to teams who remain in the luxury tax. The
Warriors have an opportunity — narrow but clear — to hop under that line
and reset.

There is no future for this team. Not as currently constructed. Kuminga
might become that No. 2 in due time — perhaps even next season — but how
long will that align with Curry’s timeline as a No. 1?

And will Kuminga ever be a title-worthy No. 1? I’d like to be wrong, but
I seriously doubt it.

What other future is there? Brandin Podziemski is a solid role player,
but one who fits best with veterans. He’s the energetic puppy that keeps
the old dogs young. Jackson-Davis is marvelous, but he’s a role player,
too — the precocious youngster who can hang out with his parents and
their friends.

This isn’t a second timeline or future core — this is “running it back”
on the cheap.

And without a clear succession plan to an era that is fading fast, the
Warriors find themselves in a strange spot.

They could lean into this, the beginning of their Yankees and Cowboys
phase, where they play well enough to be interesting but dominate off of
it by selling nostalgia for a now-bygone era of greatness. That route
will keep butts in the seats and pay the mortgage at Chase Center.

Or they could risk it all and make big, bold decisions this upcoming
offseason.

I’m not sure which route would cost more.

And at this point, I’m unsure which route is right to take.

Perhaps the Warriors will provide an irrefutable answer over these final
12 games.

But with less than a month left in this season and this team remaining
an enigma (at best), I’m not betting on it.

Re: BANG/Kurtenbach: The Warriors can’t decide what they want to be, so the league is deciding for them

<l6g762Ft8smU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=6808&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#6808

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Re:_BANG/Kurtenbach:_The_Warriors_can’t_decide_wh
at_they_want_to_be,_so_the_league_is_deciding_for_them
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:16:15 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 15:16 UTC

Allen wrote:
> [...]
> on the cheap.
>
> And without a clear succession plan to an era that is fading fast, the
> Warriors find themselves in a strange spot.
>
> They could lean into this, the beginning of their Yankees and Cowboys
> phase, where they play well enough to be interesting but dominate off of
> it by selling nostalgia for a now-bygone era of greatness. That route
> will keep butts in the seats and pay the mortgage at Chase Center.
>
> Or they could risk it all and make big, bold decisions this upcoming
> offseason.
>
> I’m not sure which route would cost more.
>
> And at this point, I’m unsure which route is right to take.
>
> Perhaps the Warriors will provide an irrefutable answer over these final
> 12 games.
>
> But with less than a month left in this season and this team remaining
> an enigma (at best), I’m not betting on it.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: BANG/Kurtenbach: The Warriors can’t decide what they want to be, so the league is deciding for them

<l6gb8uFlcpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=6809&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#6809

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
at_they_want_to_be,_so_the_league_is_deciding_for_them
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 12:26:02 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:26 UTC

<utvsf0$2f3j7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=6813&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#6813

From: worldoff...@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
at_they_want_to_be,_so_the_league_is_deciding_for_them
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 18:23:42 -0700
 by: NFN Smith - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 01:23 UTC

Robin Miller wrote:
> I'm on the fence as to what they should do about Klay. Since they don't
> seem to have enough cap room to do anything else, maybe they should
> re-sign him for a lower figure for the length of Steph's contract. If
> they can--reportedly, he plans on testing the market.

The only way I consider re-signing Klay is for a Iguodala-like role in a
bench role, where the team isn't expecting more than about 22 minutes
per game, and usually not playing much at the ends of halves. And a
corresponding reduction of salary.

Although he can contribute in that role, he's streaky enough not rely on
for longer stretches.

It doesn't diminish all that Klay has done in the past, but the guy
wearing #11 is no longer the Splash Brothers partner of Curry. That
Klay is gone, and not coming back.

Unfortunately, the Warriors have come to the point where they're going
to need to tell him that even if they want to keep him, there are going
to be significant limits on both his playing time and what they can pay,
and that any more is a liability to the team. If he wants more of
either, then he's free to consider offers from other teams. And be
prepared for eventual return for a token one-day contract so that he can
retire as a Warrior.

Smith

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / BANG/Kurtenbach: The Warriors can’t decide what they want to be, so the league is deciding for them