From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG: Warriors coast by Hornets for third straight win
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 19:41:59 -0700
 by: Allen - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 02:41 UTC

Warriors coast by Hornets for third straight win
Steph Curry tallied 23 points in his home town
>CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA – MARCH 29: Stephen Curry #30 of the Golden
State Warriors drives to the basket against Davis Bertans #9 of the
Charlotte Hornets during the first half of the game at Spectrum Center
on March 29, 2024 in Charlotte, North Carolina. NOTE TO USER: User
expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this
photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty
Images License Agreement. (Photo by Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images)

Danny Emerman is a Bay Area News Group sports reporter
By DANNY EMERMAN | demerman@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: March 29, 2024 at 6:14 p.m. | UPDATED: March 29, 2024 at 7:39
p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/03/29/warriors-hornets-steph-curry-third-straight-win/

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Even though they were short-handed, the Warriors
cruised past the eternally lottery-bound Charlotte Hornets.

In his hometown, Steph Curry tallied 23 points and four assists. He and
the Warriors turned the game into a layup line, outscoring the Hornets
64 to 38 in the paint.

For their third straight win, Golden State beat Charlotte, 115-97. The
Warriors (39-34) are now 3-1 on their current road trip, with a pair of
wins in Florida, Friday night’s blowout, and one more matchup awaiting
in San Antonio. They’ve been better on the road all season, and have now
won 13 of their last 16 games away from the Chase Center.

In their last three victories, the Warriors have held their opponent
under 100 points.

“We’re talking a little bit more,” Chris Paul said postgame. “Starting
to get in the right spots. I think we’re showing what we’re capable of
when we defend.”

The Hornets are a team the Warriors are supposed to handle, and they
did. To be the team they want to be, they’ll not only have to beat up
overmatched opponents but also competitive ones.

Jonathan Kuminga missed his second straight game due to left knee
tendinitis. The 21-year-old still felt sore after working in the
morning, Steve Kerr said, but the injury doesn’t seem serious long-term.

Then shortly before tipoff, Klay Thompson was also ruled out with right
knee tendinitis. Down two of their top three scorers, Golden State
started Chris Paul, Steph Curry, Andrew Wiggins, Draymond Green, and
Trayce Jackson-Davis.

They had less shooting without Thompson. They had less athleticism
without Kuminga. But even with the talent leveling off, the Warriors
were still by far the better team. They were favored by 12.5 points.

Moses Moody chipped in 15 points with an increased role, and
Jackson-Davis (18 points, eight rebounds, three blocks) continued to
make an impact in the frontcourt. Andrew Wiggins poured in 20 for his
second straight assertive performance.

Golden State constantly created open looks with high pick-and-rolls,
either at the rim or in the corners. Jackson-Davis and Kevon Looney,
frequent beneficiaries of the action, each scored six in the first quarter.

Charlotte star LaMelo Ball had already been ruled out for the year in
the franchise’s eighth straight lottery season. Especially without Ball,
the Hornets provided little resistance.

The Hornets didn’t push the pace in transition or pressure the ball
defensively, looked to be running their half-court offense in slow
motion, and often settled for jump shots. At one point, Curry spun the
ball behind his back before shuffle-passing to Draymond Green — just
because he could.

But Curry’s buzzer-beating 3 only sent the Warriors into the halftime
locker room with a five-point lead. Brandon Miller started to get going
at the end of the half, and Golden State appeared to play down to
Charlotte’s ability at times.

In the third, Golden State shut off the faucet. Green blocked a shot to
give Jackson-Davis a layup on the other end, capping a 9-0 run. At that
point, the Warriors allowed just nine points in six minutes.

Green, in his first game since his fourth ejection of the season, got
into a chippy moment with Grant Williams but didn’t get into any trouble.

“It’s important, we need him,” Curry said. “I said it last game, for us
to try to finish the season strong, give ourselves the best shot not
only in the standings, but the way we’re playing and the energy we’re
building up — we just want an opportunity. And he’s a huge part of that.
So, we need him on the floor.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
In Charlotte, Hornets fans still hold out hope for Steph Curry in teal
Warriors’ Draymond Green takes ownership for Orlando ejection on podcast
Everything is on the line for the Warriors. They're finally playing
like it.
Steph Curry on Draymond Green’s latest ejection: ‘We need him’
Warriors shock Magic despite Draymond Green’s ejection

Even after a miniature Hornets flurry, the Warriors built their lead up
to 18. The Warriors only piled more on in a fourth that felt bereft of
any stakes.

But for the Warriors, every game has playoff implications — even against
the lowly Hornets. Taking care of them counts just the same in the win
column.

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / BANG: Warriors coast by Hornets for third straight win