From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG: Jonathan Kuminga nearing return for Warriors
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 15:53:04 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 22:53 UTC

Jonathan Kuminga nearing return for Warriors
Kuminga has missed four straight games due to knee soreness
>Fans celebrate Golden State Warriors’ Jonathan Kuminga (00) slam dunk
against the Memphis Grizzlies in the second quarter of a NBA game at
Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Wednesday, March 20, 2024.
(Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)

Danny Emerman is a Bay Area News Group sports reporter
By DANNY EMERMAN | demerman@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 2, 2024 at 6:17 p.m. | UPDATED: April 3, 2024 at 5:36 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/04/02/jonathan-kuminga-warriors-near-return-knee/

SAN FRANCISCO — Jonathan Kuminga remained out for the Warriors’ Tuesday
night game against the Mavericks, but the Warriors have set a plan in
motion for him play on Thursday night in Houston.

Warriors head coach Steve Kerr revealed the team’s course of action for
Kuminga, who has missed four straight games with tendinitis in both knees.

“He hadn’t done anything because of the knee for the last week,” Kerr
said. “He’s feeling a lot better. Just got a really good 3-on-3
scrimmage in, the first work he’s done since he’s been out. So, we felt
strongly that he needed to get a couple days’ work in before he’s ready
to play.”

The Rockets matchup could have substantial stakes for the Warriors at
the bottom of the Western Conference. The Rockets won 11 straight to
inch within striking distance of Golden State’s play-in spot, so the
Warriors being at full-strength for the game in Houston is a big
development.

Kuminga, 21, has had a breakout season for the Warriors. He’s averaging
16.3 points per game while shooting 52.9% from the field. He’s at his
best when he’s attacking the rim, and he broke the Warriors franchise
record for dunks in a season (since tracking began in 1997-98).

Earlier this season, when Kuminga wasn’t getting the playing time he
felt he earned, the young wing publicly expressed frustration with Kerr.

“Sometimes, I come out the game not knowing what I did,” Kuminga said in
January. “And that messes with my head. It’s like, ‘What they want me to
do?’ I can pass and I can do different s—.”

Kerr and Kuminga hashed things out privately, leading to a more
consistent, featured role for Kuminga. Since January 27, Kuminga has
started every game he suited up for. In that 29-game span, he has
tallied 19.1 points in 30.4 minutes per game as Golden State’s most
reliable secondary scorer behind Steph Curry.

Kuminga last played in Miami on March 26, when he was a plus-21 in a
blowout win over the undermanned Heat. He was seen in the locker room
with ice packs taped around both knees — not an uncommon sight for NBA
players in the thick of a grueling schedule.

Initially ruled out with right knee tendinitis, the Warriors’ injury
report later listed Kuminga’s ailment as “bilateral,” meaning both
knees. He was listed as questionable before Golden State’s most recent
matchup in San Antonio and went through a lengthy warmup, but the team’s
medical staff deemed him unable to go. Now the team wants him to get
more work in before returning to live action.

The Warriors won the past three games with Kuminga sidelined before the
Dallas game. In his absence, Andrew Wiggins has taken on a heavier
offensive load, attempting four more shots per game than his season
average. Wiggins scored 20, 23 and four points in the three contests
without Kuminga.

Since Kuminga has already played 70 games, he’s eligible for the NBA’s
Most Improved Player of the Year award — of which he’s a 200-to-1
darkhorse, per Fanduel. Philadelphia’s Tyrese Maxey is the betting
favorite.

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / BANG: Jonathan Kuminga nearing return for Warriors