From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG: Warriors overcome big Doncic night to beat Mavericks, earn 5th
straight win
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 16:00:14 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 23:00 UTC

Warriors overcome big Doncic night to beat Mavericks, earn 5th straight win
Luka Doncic out-dueled Steph Curry, but the Warriors' supporting cast
stepped up.
>Dallas Mavericks’ Daniel Gafford (21) falls down after Golden State
Warriors’ Draymond Green (23) blocked a shot to the basket in the fourth
quarter of a NBA game at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on
Tuesday, April 2, 2024. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)

Danny Emerman is a Bay Area News Group sports reporter
By DANNY EMERMAN | demerman@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 2, 2024 at 9:31 p.m. | UPDATED: April 3, 2024 at 4:06 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/04/02/warriors-mavericks-doncic-mavericks-win-5th-straight/

SAN FRANCISCO – With 90 seconds left, Draymond Green met Daniel Gafford
at the rim, came down with the block and saved it before it went out of
bounds.

Green flexed both biceps before scoring on the other end — his third
bucket of the fourth quarter — to give the Warriors an eight-point lead
with a minute to play.

Then Andrew Wiggins pushed a shot over Gafford with 32.2 seconds left.
Dallas never relented and clawed within two, but the Warriors
nonetheless narrowly escaped.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors provide proof of concept with defensive gem against Mavericks
Draymond Green will not let the Warriors go down without a fight
Jonathan Kuminga nearing return for Warriors
Kurtenbach: The Spurs put a scare in the Warriors that cannot be
brushed aside
Behind Draymond Green, Warriors close out road trip strong

Steph Curry — who shot 5-for-18 and went scoreless in the fourth —
didn’t have it, but the Warriors got just enough from his supporting
cast to sneak past Luka Doncic and the Mavericks.

Doncic, Dallas’ offensive savant, dropped 30 points, 12 rebounds and 11
assists. But the Warriors (41-34), led by Chris Paul, Wiggins and Green,
won key non-Curry minutes to earn their fifth straight victory.

“We need that,” said Steve Kerr on the spread-out scoring. “This season
has been, I think, about that transition — the younger guys playing more
and producing more, the older guys handing over some of the
responsibilities. I think we’ve found a pretty good mix.”

Their defensive effort against one of the top scoring teams in the
league — a squad that had won 11 of 12 — continued the Warriors’ best
extended stretch of defense of the year.

“Defense is what we’ve got to be able to hang our hat on,” Paul said
postgame.

Golden State’s 104-100 win over Dallas gives them serious breathing room
at the bottom of the Western Conference play-in picture. The Warriors
own a three-game lead on the Rockets, who lost Tuesday, with a Thursday
matchup awaiting in Houston.

Wiggins missed his first three shots and committed a turnover, making
for a slow start after his 2-for-12 performance in San Antonio. But he
didn’t get discouraged and poured in 23 points — including 12 in the
third quarter — while hitting half his shots.

Without Jonathan Kuminga, who missed his fourth straight game with
bilateral knee tendinitis, the Warriors needed Wiggins to be aggressive.
He answered the call with his third 20-point game in his past four contests.

>Golden State Warriors' Jonathan Kuminga (00), who is recovering from a
bilateral knee tendonitis, and Golden State Warriors' Stephen Curry (30)
watch the NBA game against the Dallas Mavericks from the bench in the
fourth quarter at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday,
April 2, 2024. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)

Wiggins also played tough defense against Doncic, but it didn’t make a
massive difference. Doncic is that good. No matter which on-ball
defenders or which schemes Golden State tried, the Mavericks star had
answers from every level of the court.

In the first half, each team traded buckets, turnovers and unsuccessful
challenges. At one point, Curry stripped Derrick Jones Jr. on a spin
move, but threw it out of bounds on the other end. Later, Wiggins
stuffed Doncic, but Draymond Green turned it over immediately after. The
lead changed hands nine times.

They even exchanged runs. The Warriors held Dallas scoreless for almost
five minutes in the middle of the second period. Curry hit a pair of 3s
and Gary Payton turned defense into offense for a 14-0 run that put the
Warriors up 49-36. Then the Mavericks answered with a 13-0 blitz of
their own to go into halftime tied.

The first half was eerily symmetrical; both teams committed 11 turnovers
and shot 19-for-45 from the floor.

Doncic hit an array of step-back and catch-and-shoot 3s in the third,
but Wiggins and the Warriors remained close. Moses Moody (12 points), in
the rotation because of Kuminga’s absence, supplied productive two-way
minutes.

Previous
Next
1 of 11
>Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry (30) high-fives Golden State
Warriors’ Andrew Wiggins (22) on his way to the b each after scouting
against the Dallas Mavericks in the fourth quarter of a NBA game at
Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, April 2, 2024. (Ray
Chavez/Bay Area News Group)

Doncic out-dueled Curry and the Warriors for much of the third, but
Golden State made the Mavericks pay when he sat. Chris Paul logged a
fallaway, assist to Brandin Podziemski and a 3-pointer to lead a 9-0,
quarter-closing run. After three frames, the Warriors led by six and
Paul was a +12 in as many minutes.

“It’s always been an issue when Steph comes off the floor, over the last
decade,” Kerr said. “But Chris, to me, probably gives us the best
ability, over the last decade, with that second group to come in and
take over a game.”

Even when Doncic returned for the fourth, Paul kept Golden State’s
second unit on the offensive. He drilled a baseline jumper at the shot
clock horn, Podziemski nailed a 3 and Wiggins converted a push shot.

When Curry checked back in after an extended rest, the Warriors held a
six-point lead. The Warriors double-teamed Doncic to make his teammates
beat them.

They couldn’t. Dallas went cold. A pair of goaltending calls gave Green
buckets. PJ Washington hit a 3 to cut Golden State’s lead to four with
25.9 seconds left and Kyrie Irving free throws made the Chase Center
crowd even more nervous, but two Klay Thompson foul shots ended the scare.

And it makes the Rockets much less scary.

>Dallas Mavericks' Luka Doncic (77) argues with a referee after a
goaltending call against the Dallas Mavericks' P.J. Washington (25) on a
bucket by Golden State Warriors' Draymond Green (23) in the fourth
quarter of a NBA game at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on
Tuesday, April 2, 2024. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)

warriors HQ: Your essential mix of Golden State Warriors news, analysis,
photos and more.

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / BANG: Warriors overcome big Doncic night to beat Mavericks, earn 5th straight win