From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG: Why Jonathan Kuminga was scratched from big Warriors-Rockets
matchup
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 16:43:18 -0700
 by: Allen - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 23:43 UTC

Bummer. And with a back-to-back game tomorrow at Dallas, we could be
looking at 2 losses in a row if the Warriors can't beat Houston tonight.
I imagine Dallas will be highly motivated to beat the Warriors after
losing to them the other day. Plus Dallas needs to win to stay out of
the play-in. -AL

Why Jonathan Kuminga was scratched from big Warriors-Rockets matchup
Kuminga is inactive for the Warriors' big matchup in Houston
>Golden State Warriors’ Jonathan Kuminga (00), who is recovering from a
bilateral knee tendonitis, looks on during a timeout against the Dallas
Mavericks in the second quarter of a NBA game at Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Tuesday, April 2, 2024. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area News
Group)

Danny Emerman is a Bay Area News Group sports reporter
By DANNY EMERMAN | demerman@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 4, 2024 at 4:21 p.m. | UPDATED: April 4, 2024 at 4:34 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/04/04/why-jonathan-kuminga-got-scratched-from-big-warriors-rockets-matchup/

HOUSTON — The Warriors were planning on having Jonathan Kuminga back for
their game against the Rockets Thursday night, but even the best laid
plans can go awry.

Less than two hours before tipoff, Kuminga was downgraded from
questionable to out on Golden State’s official injury report, knocking
him out for a fifth straight game. Kuminga, who has been dealing with
bilateral knee tendinitis, played 3-on-3 on Tuesday and Steve Kerr said
the Warriors expected him to return for the Rockets tilt.

But Kuminga still didn’t feel quite ready after scrimmaging again
Thursday morning, so he missed the game.

“The training staff said they felt strongly we should give him another
night off,” Kerr said before the Rockets game. “We’re hopeful for
tomorrow, but we’ll see how it feels tomorrow.”

In addition to the morning scrimmage, Kuminga got shots up on the Toyota
Center court before tipoff and worked with assistant coach Anthony
Vereen on the bench. Kerr said it’s good that Kuminga has gotten a
couple of days of conditioning in, but Kuminga’s status Friday will
depend on how he’s feeling.

Golden State (41-34) won five straight to enter Thursday night with a
three-game lead over Houston for the 10th seed.

The Rockets matchup doesn’t represent the same level of rivalry it once
did, but their game has significant postseason stakes. A Golden State
win would essentially end the Rockets’ hopes of stealing the 10th seed,
given the Warriors’ lead in the standings as well as owning the tiebreaker.

Houston won 11 straight even as they lost star center Alperen Sengun to
an ankle injury, taking advantage of a soft pocket of their schedule and
riding an ascendant Jalen Green.

Green, who played with Kuminga on the 2020-21 G League Ignite, is
averaging 30.8 points on efficient shooting splits since Sengun got
injured. Kuminga’s absence puts more pressure on defenders such as
Andrew Wiggins and Gary Payton II to help slow him down.

The Rockets game is the first of a back-to-back for the Warriors, with a
meeting with the Mavericks in Dallas upcoming on Friday. The Warriors
beat Dallas without Kuminga on Tuesday behind a strong defensive effort.

Kuminga is averaging 16.3 points and 4.8 rebounds per game in a breakout
campaign.

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / BANG: Why Jonathan Kuminga was scratched from big Warriors-Rockets matchup