From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG: Klay Thompson erupts to lead Warriors past Jazz
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 20:37:03 -0700
 by: Allen - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 03:37 UTC

Klay Thompson erupts to lead Warriors past Jazz
No Steph Curry, no problem for the Warriors against the Jazz
>Golden State Warriors’ Klay Thompson (11) celebrates his 3-point
basket against the Utah Jazz in the first quarter at the Chase Center in
San Francisco, Calif., on Sunday, April 7, 2024. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area
News Group)

Danny Emerman is a Bay Area News Group sports reporter
By DANNY EMERMAN | demerman@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 7, 2024 at 7:49 p.m. | UPDATED: April 7, 2024 at 8:25 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/04/07/klay-thompson-erupts-to-lead-warriors-past-jazz/

SAN FRANCISCO — In a season in which Klay Thompson has had to grapple
with his basketball mortality, he proved once more that he’s still a
god-level shooter.

Thompson poured in 32 points in 28 minutes, going 6-for-13 from behind
the arc and 12-for-23 overall. Golden State’s defense held an
overmatched Jazz team in check.

The Warriors (43-35) decided to rest Steph Curry and easily won anyway,
118-110. The score was only that close because of the last few minutes
with Golden State’s deep reserves stumbling out the clock. Behind
Thompson, Jonathan Kuminga, Brandin Podziemski, Trayce Jackson-Davis and
Chris Paul also scored in double-digits.

Thompson drilled a step-back 3 early in the shot clock for his first
triple at 7:49 in the opening quarter. In the next two minutes, the
34-year-old found Trayce Jackson-Davis on an alley-oop, Draymond Green
for a 3, and sprayed in two more treys of his own. Without Curry,
Thompson’s light was even greener than normal.

In his first nine minutes, Thompson contributed 13 points and four
assists, relishing his opportunity as the offense’s primary option.

A running 28-footer from Brandin Podziemski capped an impressive first
quarter for the Warriors. With a new focus on keeping their best players
fresh for the upcoming playoffs, Steve Kerr rolled out a lineup of
Podziemski, Moses Moody, Jonathan Kuminga, Gui Santos and Trayce
Jackson-Davis to finish the frame.

Kuminga, in his first game back after missing six straight with
bilateral knee tendinitis, hit his first five shots and finished with 21
points and 10 boards. He looked just as explosive as his pre-injury self.

Even without Curry, the Warriors had a significant talent advantage over
the beleaguered Jazz, who have lost Walker Kessler, John Collins, Lauri
Markannen and Jordan Clarkson to injuries.

Beyond two-way player Johnny Juzang (27 points), who sank his first five
3-pointers, the Jazz didn’t have enough firepower to match the
fire-breathing Thompson.

When Thompson checked back into the game in the second, he drilled three
straight shots: a step-back 2, another pull-up against a center on a
switch, and a contested 3 to give him 20 points.

A minute later, Thompson canned his fifth 3 after he came off a pair of
ball screens. From the bench, Curry raised his arm and pumped his fist
in the air. Utah was far too content with letting him get loose on the
perimeter. Golden State’s lead hovered around 20, and Thompson freed
himself on a backdoor cut for a smooth reverse layup.

>Golden State Warriors' Klay Thompson (11) scores a 3-point basket
against the Utah Jazz in the third quarter at the Chase Center in San
Francisco, Calif., on Sunday, April 7, 2024. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area
News Group)

Thompson’s 25-point first half was his highest total in a half all year.

Thompson kept gunning in the second half — until his services were no
longer required in the fourth. A clean look at the elbow, a corner 3 and
tough drive got him up to 32 points. The Chase Center crowd was ready to
explode when what would’ve been his seventh 3-pointer rimmed out.

Even though Thompson is flirting with career-lows in field goal and
3-point percentage, he’s still a capable shooter. Only three players —
Curry, Luka Doncic and Donte DiVincenzo — have made more 3s this year.
The Warriors’ decision to move the shooting guard out of the starting
lineup, allowing them more flexibility, has been an unabashed success.

Draymond Green, who briefly walked to the locker room, watched the
entire fourth quarter from the bench with pads wrapped around each knee
and his lower back. In a blowout, the Warriors didn’t need him. But more
important than any win or loss in the final week of the season will be
getting the squad to full health.

Previous
Next
1 of 14
>Golden State Warriors’ Klay Thompson (11) takes a shot against Utah
Jazz’s Taylor Hendricks (0) in the third quarter at the Chase Center in
San Francisco, Calif., on Sunday, April 7, 2024. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area
News Group)

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / BANG: Klay Thompson erupts to lead Warriors past Jazz