From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: NBCSBA: Warriors' win over Lakers big for confidence as play-in race
tightens
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 17:46:09 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
 by: Robin Miller - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 21:46 UTC

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/win-lakers-confidence-playin-race/1722593/

Warriors' win over Lakers big for confidence as play-in race tightens

By Michael Wagaman

• Published April 9, 2024

Although the Warriors still are hopeful of moving into the upper half of
the crowded Western Conference play-in bracket, a more likely scenario
is that they’ll square off against the Los Angeles Lakers in the 9-10
game next Wednesday.

That’s why Tuesday’s 134-120 win in Los Angeles was so crucial.

For one, it was Golden State’s third win in four games against the
Lakers this season and gave the Warriors the head-to-head tiebreaker
should it come down to that.

More importantly, it should erase any doubt people might have about the
Warriors' ability to contend with LeBron James and Co.

The Warriors’ averaged 130 points in the four games, with the only
setback coming in a 145-144 double overtime loss on Jan. 27 that was
decided when James made two free throws with one second remaining.

Beating the Lakers in Los Angeles in their final regular-season matchup
also continued Golden State’s stretch as one of the NBA’s hottest road
teams, which is key should they wind up sticking with the No. 10 seed.

As the 10 seed, the Warriors would have to win two road play-in
tournament games just to advance to the NBA playoffs. Conversely, the
No. 8 seed has two chances to win once to advance.

“We need a little help obviously but all we’ve talked about is just win,
take care of our business and see how everything else shakes out,”
Warriors coach Steve Kerr told reporters at Crypto.com Arena. “So many
teams are playing each other in the group that we’re in, and you just
never know. Got to keep going, keep winning and see how it plays out.”

Tuesday’s victory improved the Warriors to 44-35 and pulled them within
one-half game of the No. 9 Lakers and one game in back of the Sacramento
Kings, who are No. 8 at 45-34.

The Phoenix Suns, at 46-33, are No. 7 in the West and are mathematically
within reach, although they would have to lose their final three games
and the Warriors would have to win out in order to catch them.

As it is, it’s still going to be an uphill battle for Golden State to
get out of the No. 10 slot.

It can be done, though.

Two of the Warriors’ final three regular season games are teams near the
bottom of the Western Conference: The Portland Trail Blazers (21-58) and
Utah Jazz (29-50). They also have a game against Zion Williamson and the
New Orleans Pelicans (47-32)

The Lakers also have somewhat of an easy close to their regular season
with games against the Memphis Grizzlies (21-58) and Pelicans.

The Kings have the most difficult remaining schedule of the three teams,
having to face the Pelicans, Suns (46-44) and Trail Blazers.

“It would be nice to get to 8 but if we don’t, it’s not the end of the
world,” Klay Thompson said, “At the end of the day we have to play
whoever’s in front of us.”

Despite their rare position as a low seed, Thompson said that the
Warriors are drawing motivation from the Miami Heat’s long playoff run
last season. The Heat made it from the No. 7 seed all the way to the NBA
Finals before losing to the Denver Nuggets in five games.

“I think we’re capable of a run like that,” Thompson said, “Obviously
you can’t look ahead but whatever happens, we’ll all be ready. We all
know that it can be done. There’s no task too tall for us.”

The task obviously would get a lot easier if the Warriors could manage
to squeeze into the upper portion of the play-in bracket.

Golden State’s recent success on the road – they’ve won 16 of their last
20 away from Chase Center – also bodes well if they stay put at No. 10.

“Anybody in the league would rather have an 8 seed over a 9 seed,”
Brandin Podziemski said. “You get two cracks at it to win one game.
Quite frankly we’re better on the road than we are at home so if we
could get the eighth seed and play the seventh seed on the road, I think
we can get it done.

“But in terms of who we play, we don’t really care. It’s just we’re
trying to sneak into that 8th seed because it’s right there in front of us.”

The Warriors really don’t care who they have to play once the postseason
begins. The four-time NBA champs have been down this road before, albeit
not from the final play-in spot, so they have a good feel for what to
expect.

On top of that, Golden State has been playing it’s best basketball of
the season over the previous two months. Since Jan. 30, the Warriors
have 25 wins – second-most in the NBA behind the Boston Celtics, who
have 26.

“At times this year it hasn’t come together for us but I think it’s
coming together at the right time,” Draymond Green said. “We always feel
like if we get a chance … we know what it takes. Just got to make sure
we give ourselves the opportunity.”

Re: NBCSBA: Warriors' win over Lakers big for confidence as play-in race tightens

<uv7hkq$1emn7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=6872&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#6872

From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Re: NBCSBA: Warriors' win over Lakers big for confidence as play-in
race tightens
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 19:24:26 -0700
 by: Allen - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 02:24 UTC

The Warriors were lucky that Anthony Davis wasn't able to play. While
the Warriors are looking much better lately, I'd hold off on confidence
vs the Lakers.

-Allen

On 4/10/2024 2:46 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

> [...]
> trying to sneak into that 8th seed because it’s right there in front of
> us.”
>
> The Warriors really don’t care who they have to play once the postseason
> begins. The four-time NBA champs have been down this road before, albeit
> not from the final play-in spot, so they have a good feel for what to
> expect.
>
> On top of that, Golden State has been playing it’s best basketball of
> the season over the previous two months. Since Jan. 30, the Warriors
> have 25 wins – second-most in the NBA behind the Boston Celtics, who
> have 26.
>
> “At times this year it hasn’t come together for us but I think it’s
> coming together at the right time,” Draymond Green said. “We always feel
> like if we get a chance … we know what it takes. Just got to make sure

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / NBCSBA: Warriors' win over Lakers big for confidence as play-in race tightens