From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG: Why Warriors are sitting Steph Curry, Draymond Green in Game 82
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 15:35:32 -0700
 by: Allen - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 22:35 UTC

Why Warriors are sitting Steph Curry, Draymond Green in Game 82
The Warriors are probably locked into the 9/10 play-in game
>Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry (30) does a behind-the-back pass
to Draymond Green while defended by New Orleans Pelicans’ Dyson Daniels
(11) and CJ McCollum (3), in the fourth quarter Friday, April 12, 2024,
at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif. (Karl Mondon/Bay Area News Group)

Danny Emerman is a Bay Area News Group sports reporter
By DANNY EMERMAN | demerman@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 14, 2024 at 11:36 a.m. | UPDATED: April 14, 2024 at
12:46 p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/04/14/why-warriors-are-sitting-steph-curry-draymond-green-in-game-82/

SAN FRANCISCO — The Warriors’ two best players will watch the regular
season finale from the bench in street clothes.

According to head coach Steve Kerr, Steph Curry and Draymond Green won’t
play against Utah in Game 82. Their regular season is over.

The Warriors could still beat Utah without Curry and Green, but they’re
resting the stars because a win probably won’t go far. The play-in
scenarios have crystallized, and Golden State needs both a victory and
losses by both the Lakers and Kings to move up to eighth place.
Otherwise, the Warriors will enter the postseason in either ninth or 10th.

The Warriors are hoping to play three games this upcoming week: the 9/10
game, on the road for another sudden-death contest, and then the first
game of a full series against the West’s top team. That path is grueling
— Kerr called it a “gauntlet” — and getting Curry and Green fully
healthy for it is the number one priority.

“I’m much more interested in our ability to be ready for next week,”
Kerr said Friday night. “But we’ve got to wait and see how everything
shakes out.”

Curry, who played 68 combined minutes in a back-to-back earlier this
week, will need to be as fresh as possible to take Golden State where it
wants to go. He tweaked his ankle late in Friday’s loss to the Pelicans,
but the injury is considered mild. Kerr said he’d play Sunday if he
needed to.

Curry played 74 games and 2,421 minutes this regular season — his
highest totals since 2016-17. He averaged 26.3 points per game in his
15th season while flirting with 50/40/90 splits, giving him a legitimate
claim to a spot on one of the All-NBA teams.

Green will finish the regular season at just 55 games because of his
suspensions, so his load was relatively light. But he still played heavy
minutes when available, particularly at center, and dealt with lower
back soreness in the second half.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Play-in preview: Warriors’ season on the line against the Kings
Warriors take care of Jazz in finale, brace for tough postseason path
Game 82: How Warriors are approaching regular season finale
Kurtenbach: An unstoppable big man hit the the Warriors with a
serious reality check
Pelicans shoot down Warriors’ hopes of escaping lowest play-in round

Klay Thompson and Chris Paul, veterans who could also use rest heading
into the postseason, may play decreased minutes against the Jazz.

Before deciding to rest Curry and Green, the Warriors already ruled out
wing Gary Payton II (calf strain). Payton’s status could be up in the
air for the first play-in game, which is set for Tuesday.

“I haven’t talked to Rick (Celebrini) about it yet,” Kerr said. “I
talked to Rick yesterday, and he just told me that Gary was definitely
out for today. We’ll see over the next couple of days his availability
for the play-in.”

Payton, as podcast host Sam Esfandiari pointed out on Twitter/X, Payton
has only played in 63 of 122 total games since the Warriors re-acquired
him at last year’s trade deadline.

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / BANG: Why Warriors are sitting Steph Curry, Draymond Green in Game 82