From: xyzzy.d...@gmail.com (xyzzy)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Subject: Yet another Republican talking point discredited
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 12:34:48 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:2Nac4ADsmjzI9rDaa2P52Sp1tgY=
 by: xyzzy - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 12:34 UTC

By the CATO institute no less

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2023/10/03/immigration-population-labor-shortage-us-census-predictions/70964343007/

The Census Bureau this month published its most robust estimate of the U.S.
immigrant population, and it casts doubt on a central Republican criticism
of President Joe Biden: that immigration has spiraled out of his control on
his watch.

In fact, the new data – analyzed by our team at the Cato Institute –
indicate that the number of immigrants is still 2 million below the Census
Bureau’s 2017 predictions. The hyperbolic rhetoric should take a backseat
to the verifiable data.

[…]

The immigrant population did grow by nearly a million from July 2021 to
July 2022. But consider the context. In 2017, the Census predicted that by
last year, the immigrant population would have grown by 3.6 million. In
reality, it grew 1.7 million – less than half the number the models
predicted.

[…]

On a longer timescale, it is apparent that the past decade has seen
unusually slow growth in immigration. In fact, the period from 2012 to 2022
saw slower growth in the immigrant share of the population than the 2000s,
1990s, 1980s and 1970s. You have to go all the way back to the 1960s, when
the immigrant population actually shrank, to find a lower growth rate.

[…]

The new data dismantle the narrative that the United States is seeing an
unprecedented surge in immigration. Moreover, as we face the lowest
population growth in U.S. history, a decline largely attributed to
Americans having fewer children, the immigrant share of the population
should naturally have a larger impact. But even in these conditions, the
immigrant share is growing at the slowest rate we've seen in a generation.

--
“I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
liberal personality.” — Altie

Re: Yet another Republican talking point discredited

<ufh3gt$3ifr3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=68838&group=rec.sport.football.college#68838

From: n.n...@comcast.net (leonard hofstatder)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 08:04:29 -0500
 by: leonard hofstatder - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 13:04 UTC

On 10/3/2023 7:34 AM, xyzzy wrote:
> By the CATO institute no less
>
> https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2023/10/03/immigration-population-labor-shortage-us-census-predictions/70964343007/

Elon shares a different view:
https://twitter.com/search?q=elon%20border&src=typed_query

> The Census Bureau this month published its most robust estimate of the U.S.
> immigrant population, and it casts doubt on a central Republican criticism
> of President Joe Biden: that immigration has spiraled out of his control on
> his watch.
>
> In fact, the new data – analyzed by our team at the Cato Institute –
> indicate that the number of immigrants is still 2 million below the Census
> Bureau’s 2017 predictions. The hyperbolic rhetoric should take a backseat
> to the verifiable data.
>
> […]
>
> The immigrant population did grow by nearly a million from July 2021 to
> July 2022. But consider the context. In 2017, the Census predicted that by
> last year, the immigrant population would have grown by 3.6 million. In
> reality, it grew 1.7 million – less than half the number the models
> predicted.
>
> […]
>
> On a longer timescale, it is apparent that the past decade has seen
> unusually slow growth in immigration. In fact, the period from 2012 to 2022
> saw slower growth in the immigrant share of the population than the 2000s,
> 1990s, 1980s and 1970s. You have to go all the way back to the 1960s, when
> the immigrant population actually shrank, to find a lower growth rate.
>
> […]
>
> The new data dismantle the narrative that the United States is seeing an
> unprecedented surge in immigration. Moreover, as we face the lowest
> population growth in U.S. history, a decline largely attributed to
> Americans having fewer children, the immigrant share of the population
> should naturally have a larger impact. But even in these conditions, the
> immigrant share is growing at the slowest rate we've seen in a generation.

Re: Yet another Republican talking point discredited

<679048ca-0f59-4438-b895-c2d1e7e0f937n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=68839&group=rec.sport.football.college#68839

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 06:45:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: james.m....@gmail.com (JGibson)
 by: JGibson - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 13:45 UTC

On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 8:34:54 AM UTC-4, xyzzy wrote:
> By the CATO institute no less
>
> https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2023/10/03/immigration-population-labor-shortage-us-census-predictions/70964343007/
>
> The Census Bureau this month published its most robust estimate of the U.S.
> immigrant population, and it casts doubt on a central Republican criticism
> of President Joe Biden: that immigration has spiraled out of his control on
> his watch.
>
> In fact, the new data – analyzed by our team at the Cato Institute –
> indicate that the number of immigrants is still 2 million below the Census
> Bureau’s 2017 predictions. The hyperbolic rhetoric should take a backseat
> to the verifiable data.
>
> […]
>
> The immigrant population did grow by nearly a million from July 2021 to
> July 2022. But consider the context. In 2017, the Census predicted that by
> last year, the immigrant population would have grown by 3.6 million. In
> reality, it grew 1.7 million – less than half the number the models
> predicted.
>
> […]
>
> On a longer timescale, it is apparent that the past decade has seen
> unusually slow growth in immigration. In fact, the period from 2012 to 2022
> saw slower growth in the immigrant share of the population than the 2000s,
> 1990s, 1980s and 1970s. You have to go all the way back to the 1960s, when
> the immigrant population actually shrank, to find a lower growth rate.
>
> […]
>
> The new data dismantle the narrative that the United States is seeing an
> unprecedented surge in immigration. Moreover, as we face the lowest
> population growth in U.S. history, a decline largely attributed to
> Americans having fewer children, the immigrant share of the population
> should naturally have a larger impact. But even in these conditions, the
> immigrant share is growing at the slowest rate we've seen in a generation..

Hmm.... I do know that we are now getting hotels full of migrants up here in upstate NY, which is not something that has happened before.

Re: Yet another Republican talking point discredited

<8e3e9f48-ad36-4f75-b23f-282ecea05868n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=68841&group=rec.sport.football.college#68841

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 08:42:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: dou...@sorensensdomain.net (Emperor Wonko the Sane)
 by: Emperor Wonko the Sa - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 15:42 UTC

On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 7:34:54 AM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
> By the CATO institute no less
>
> https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2023/10/03/immigration-population-labor-shortage-us-census-predictions/70964343007/
>
> The Census Bureau this month published its most robust estimate of the U.S.
> immigrant population, and it casts doubt on a central Republican criticism
> of President Joe Biden: that immigration has spiraled out of his control on
> his watch.
>
> In fact, the new data – analyzed by our team at the Cato Institute –
> indicate that the number of immigrants is still 2 million below the Census
> Bureau’s 2017 predictions. The hyperbolic rhetoric should take a backseat
> to the verifiable data.
>
> […]
>
> The immigrant population did grow by nearly a million from July 2021 to
> July 2022. But consider the context. In 2017, the Census predicted that by
> last year, the immigrant population would have grown by 3.6 million. In
> reality, it grew 1.7 million – less than half the number the models
> predicted.
>
> […]
>
> On a longer timescale, it is apparent that the past decade has seen
> unusually slow growth in immigration. In fact, the period from 2012 to 2022
> saw slower growth in the immigrant share of the population than the 2000s,
> 1990s, 1980s and 1970s. You have to go all the way back to the 1960s, when
> the immigrant population actually shrank, to find a lower growth rate.
>
> […]
>
> The new data dismantle the narrative that the United States is seeing an
> unprecedented surge in immigration. Moreover, as we face the lowest
> population growth in U.S. history, a decline largely attributed to
> Americans having fewer children, the immigrant share of the population
> should naturally have a larger impact. But even in these conditions, the
> immigrant share is growing at the slowest rate we've seen in a generation..

It seems that Census and Homeland Security need to work out a huge discrepancy.

Doug