Football is a game designed to keep coalminers off the streets. -- Jimmy Breslin

sport / rec.sport.football.college / So here is the actual cristobal explanation......

SubjectAuthor
* So here is the actual cristobal explanation......michael anderson
`* Re: So here is the actual cristobal explanation......unclejr
 `- Re: So here is the actual cristobal explanation......JGibson

1
So here is the actual cristobal explanation......

<f95240f3-8e55-4b8e-a67a-a3ee6bf98fecn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=68903&group=rec.sport.football.college#68903

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 21:44:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: So here is the actual cristobal explanation......
From: mianders...@gmail.com (michael anderson)
 by: michael anderson - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 04:44 UTC

on why he didn't take a knee with 30 seconds left on 3rd down(or with just under 2 mins left on 1st down when Gatech had no timeouts.....same difference game is won either way):

“When the drive started, it was going to be 1:57 and we burned about 1:27 off and then it was recalibrated. Should’ve taken a timeout, right there at the end. After we got the first down and talk about two hands on the ball, but that’s not good enough. Just go and take knee. That’s it. Fumble the ball at the 25 and they 75 yards in two plays, so no excuse,” Cristobal said.

What. In. The. Fuck.

recalibrated? wtf is he talking about? The clock was never 'recalibrated'.....whatever that means in that final series once gatech had used all their timeouts and miami had that final first down. This leads me to believe he doesn't understand the basic rules.

So yes Mario, you burned about 1:27 off because you ran two plays, and with a 40 second clock and accounting for 3-4 seconds each play, that's how you go from 1:57 to 20 seconds(40 + 40 + 7 seconds for the actual live plays). Again, basic math.

And then there is the timeout nonsense. Timeout??? WTF for? And why was he talking about 'two hands on the ball' after the first down that took it down to 1:57 and gatech had no timeouts. At that point the game is over(40 + 40 + 40 = 2 minutes.....2 minutes > 1:57)

All he had to do at that point is tell the qb to just kneel immediately.(they didn't even need to run a few seconds off with each play). There is no need for confusing comments about recalibrating, telling players to put two hands on the ball, calling timeouts, etc........

What I took from the post-game comments was that he still thinks running on 1st and 2nd down was a good idea, but that after the 2nd down run and the play clock ran down he should have called timeout to discuss the situation? And then kneel?

No......no....no no no no.....NO

You never should have run the ball once you got the first down and there was 1:57 and gatech had no timeouts. No "two hands on the ball" stuff. No timeout stuff(unless you wanted to call timeout when the play clock was at zero after that final first down just to make sure everyone knows we can go in victory formation.....but thats not what he is referring to)

And the reporters(as usual) appear to have done a horrific job not to ask those followup questions and just accept that nonsense.

Re: So here is the actual cristobal explanation......

<4ecaefc9-166d-4ee0-9932-7368c5fe717cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=68909&group=rec.sport.football.college#68909

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 07:37:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: So here is the actual cristobal explanation......
From: watson...@gmail.com (unclejr)
 by: unclejr - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 14:37 UTC

On Saturday, October 7, 2023 at 11:44:10 PM UTC-5, michael anderson wrote:
> on why he didn't take a knee with 30 seconds left on 3rd down(or with just under 2 mins left on 1st down when Gatech had no timeouts.....same difference game is won either way):
>
> “When the drive started, it was going to be 1:57 and we burned about 1:27 off and then it was recalibrated. Should’ve taken a timeout, right there at the end. After we got the first down and talk about two hands on the ball, but that’s not good enough. Just go and take knee.. That’s it. Fumble the ball at the 25 and they 75 yards in two plays, so no excuse,” Cristobal said.
>

> What. In. The. Fuck.
>
> recalibrated? wtf is he talking about? The clock was never 'recalibrated'.....whatever that means in that final series once gatech had used all their timeouts and miami had that final first down. This leads me to believe he doesn't understand the basic rules.
>
> So yes Mario, you burned about 1:27 off because you ran two plays, and with a 40 second clock and accounting for 3-4 seconds each play, that's how you go from 1:57 to 20 seconds(40 + 40 + 7 seconds for the actual live plays). Again, basic math.
>
> And then there is the timeout nonsense. Timeout??? WTF for? And why was he talking about 'two hands on the ball' after the first down that took it down to 1:57 and gatech had no timeouts. At that point the game is over(40 + 40 + 40 = 2 minutes.....2 minutes > 1:57)
>
> All he had to do at that point is tell the qb to just kneel immediately.(they didn't even need to run a few seconds off with each play). There is no need for confusing comments about recalibrating, telling players to put two hands on the ball, calling timeouts, etc........
>
> What I took from the post-game comments was that he still thinks running on 1st and 2nd down was a good idea, but that after the 2nd down run and the play clock ran down he should have called timeout to discuss the situation? And then kneel?
>
> No......no....no no no no.....NO
>
> You never should have run the ball once you got the first down and there was 1:57 and gatech had no timeouts. No "two hands on the ball" stuff. No timeout stuff(unless you wanted to call timeout when the play clock was at zero after that final first down just to make sure everyone knows we can go in victory formation.....but thats not what he is referring to)
>
> And the reporters(as usual) appear to have done a horrific job not to ask those followup questions and just accept that nonsense.

Did you lose money on this game?

Re: So here is the actual cristobal explanation......

<e3b6a44b-bc02-4546-8fd9-2a97c5c85e7fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=68911&group=rec.sport.football.college#68911

Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 07:40:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: james.m....@gmail.com (JGibson)
 by: JGibson - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 14:40 UTC

On Sunday, October 8, 2023 at 10:37:05 AM UTC-4, unclejr wrote:
> On Saturday, October 7, 2023 at 11:44:10 PM UTC-5, michael anderson wrote:
> > on why he didn't take a knee with 30 seconds left on 3rd down(or with just under 2 mins left on 1st down when Gatech had no timeouts.....same difference game is won either way):
> >
> > “When the drive started, it was going to be 1:57 and we burned about 1:27 off and then it was recalibrated. Should’ve taken a timeout, right there at the end. After we got the first down and talk about two hands on the ball, but that’s not good enough. Just go and take knee. That’s it. Fumble the ball at the 25 and they 75 yards in two plays, so no excuse,” Cristobal said.
> >

> > What. In. The. Fuck.
> >
> > recalibrated? wtf is he talking about? The clock was never 'recalibrated'....whatever that means in that final series once gatech had used all their timeouts and miami had that final first down. This leads me to believe he doesn't understand the basic rules.
> >
> > So yes Mario, you burned about 1:27 off because you ran two plays, and with a 40 second clock and accounting for 3-4 seconds each play, that's how you go from 1:57 to 20 seconds(40 + 40 + 7 seconds for the actual live plays). Again, basic math.
> >
> > And then there is the timeout nonsense. Timeout??? WTF for? And why was he talking about 'two hands on the ball' after the first down that took it down to 1:57 and gatech had no timeouts. At that point the game is over(40 + 40 + 40 = 2 minutes.....2 minutes > 1:57)
> >
> > All he had to do at that point is tell the qb to just kneel immediately..(they didn't even need to run a few seconds off with each play). There is no need for confusing comments about recalibrating, telling players to put two hands on the ball, calling timeouts, etc........
> >
> > What I took from the post-game comments was that he still thinks running on 1st and 2nd down was a good idea, but that after the 2nd down run and the play clock ran down he should have called timeout to discuss the situation? And then kneel?
> >
> > No......no....no no no no.....NO
> >
> > You never should have run the ball once you got the first down and there was 1:57 and gatech had no timeouts. No "two hands on the ball" stuff. No timeout stuff(unless you wanted to call timeout when the play clock was at zero after that final first down just to make sure everyone knows we can go in victory formation.....but thats not what he is referring to)
> >
> > And the reporters(as usual) appear to have done a horrific job not to ask those followup questions and just accept that nonsense.
> Did you lose money on this game?

Miami was something like a 19 point favorite. He would have lost money even if Miami won had he bet on Miami.