From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG_Gary_Payton_II_to_miss_Warriors’_play-in_rou
nd,_beginning_in_Sacramento
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 15:27:09 -0700
 by: Allen - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 22:27 UTC

Gary Payton II to miss Warriors’ play-in round, beginning in Sacramento
Payton won't be available for Warriors-Kings game Tuesday or following
play-in game Friday if Golden State advances
>Golden State Warriors’ Gary Payton II (0) dunks the ball against the
Utah Jazz in the fourth quarter at the Chase Center in San Francisco,
Calif., on Sunday, April 7, 2024. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)

Danny Emerman is a Bay Area News Group sports reporter
By DANNY EMERMAN | demerman@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 15, 2024 at 1:50 p.m. | UPDATED: April 15, 2024 at 2:00
p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/04/15/gary-payton-ii-sacramento-warriors-play-in/

SAN FRANCISCO — The Warriors’ team bus had to have a full gas tank as it
pulled away from Chase Center for the state capital Monday, but the team
won’t have all its fuel.

Defensive stalwart Gary Payton II won’t play in Tuesday night’s play-in
game against the Kings at Golden 1 Center, Steve Kerr revealed Monday.
Payton, who has been dealing with a strained left calf, also won’t be
available if the Warriors beat the Kings and advance to the second
play-in game later in the week, against either the Lakers or Pelicans.

Payton would have likely played an important role as an on-ball defender
against Kings point guard De’Aaron Fox, at least for small bursts.
Instead, that burden will fall on the Warriors’ bigger, rangier players
who might not have as much lateral quickness.

“Gary’s a huge piece to our team,” Trayce Jackson-Davis said. “I think
we’re going to have to rely on Wiggs, rely on JK, use their athleticism,
their speed, their length against Fox. But yeah, he’s a huge piece, and
we’re going to miss him tomorrow.”

Payton has had trouble staying on the court this year. A strained right
calf sidelined him for 13 games earlier this season. When he returned,
Payton played just two games before straining his left hamstring, which
held him out for 13 more. He missed the final three games of the regular
season with his current ailment.

Payton played 44 games this year — only seven more than Lester Quinones
and 11 fewer than Draymond Green, who was suspended for large swaths of
the year. Since Golden State re-acquired Payton at last year’s trade
deadline, he has played in 63 of 122 possible games.

When he was healthy, Payton made a big impact. Along with Jackson-Davis,
Wiggins and Green, he stood out down the stretch as the Warriors made
defense their calling card. In the last 10 games of the season, Golden
State ranked ninth in defensive rating.

Even offensively — though his counting stats are negligible — the
Warriors often look their best when Payton is on the court and healthy.
His bounciness gives the Warriors a threatening option along the
baseline, and he has always made quick decisions in Kerr’s
read-and-react system.

The Warriors expect the rest of their roster besides Payton to be ready
for the sudden-death Kings matchup, Kerr said. Sacramento, meanwhile,
will be without Malik Monk and Kevin Huerter — two of their top six players.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Kurtenbach: The Warriors are a strange mix. That could bring big
things — or disaster — this postseason
Photos: Fans can’t believe how tall Steph Curry’s eldest daughter,
Riley, has grown
Warriors’ overachieving rookie duo set for intense play-in test
Clifford Ray’s long arms: How a Warrior saved a dolphin
Kurtenbach: The Warriors messed around and found out this season. It
might just work out for the best

Without those two wings, the Kings have inserted Keon Ellis into the
starting lineup and upped Davion Mitchell’s minutes. Both are strong
defenders and have been hot from 3. In April, the Kings ranked second in
the NBA in defensive rating.

“We’re prepared for their ball pressure, and I think Mitchell is an
excellent on-ball defender, Ellis is really good too,” Kerr said. “We
know they’ll be all over Steph (Curry). We’ve got to be ready for
everything. They’ve blitzed Steph in the past, they’ll hit him in the
halfcourt with a double team. We’ve got to have our spacing right and
make sure we’re executing.”

* Quick hitters

— In a subplot that wasn’t on anyone’s radar, Klay Thompson passed Steph
Curry for the league lead in free throw percentage in the regular season
finale. Thompson didn’t even qualify for the title until he was fouled
early in the game on a 3, which gave him 125 foul shot attempts on the
season — the minimum to qualify.

Curry had the lead entering Game 82 at 92.3%, but Thompson overtook him
with a season mark of 92.7% by going 5-for-5 against the Jazz. It’s the
first time in Thompson’s career that he led the NBA in any statistical
category outside of games played.“I had no clue until (Warriors vice
president of communications Raymond Ridder) told me today,” Curry said.
“I knew I was up there, percentage-wise, pretty much all year… But I had
no clue Klay was ineligible until the last game. He made all five, so
shoutout to him.”

— Kerr said he believes the Warriors have earned good “karma” heading
into the last game. Karma doesn’t win games; many teams have felt a good
vibe before getting eliminated early in the playoffs. But according to
Kerr, Golden State’s locker room is in a good place.

They’ve overcome adversity like the death of assistant coach Dejan
Milojevic and the tumult of Draymond Green’s suspensions. They’re
playing with joy, which translates to better performance.

“As a coach, you can just kind of feel it,” Kerr said. “I’ve been very
frank, I didn’t feel it last year. So this year, I’ve felt it. It
doesn’t mean we’re going to win, but I think we have a better chance of
really making a push this year than we did last.”

— Asked if this team still needs to show more to justify keeping its
core group together going forward, Curry said he’s not concerned about
conversations about next season.

“I think it’s pretty obvious it’d be a disappointment if we’re not in a
playoff series and have an opportunity to compete at that level. You can
make up whatever narrative that would bring up, but right now, I think
it would rob the opportunity we have this week and hopefully going into
a playoff series. I think it’s important we stay in that mentality and
not really worry about anything else.”

Re: BANG Gary Payton II to miss Warriors’ play-in round, beginning in Sacramento

<l864rhF61bkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=6891&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#6891

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Re:_BANG_Gary_Payton_II_to_miss_Warriors’_play-in
_round,_beginning_in_Sacramento
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 22:07:42 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 02:07 UTC

Allen wrote:
> Gary Payton II to miss Warriors’ play-in round, beginning in Sacramento
> Payton won't be available for Warriors-Kings game Tuesday or following
> play-in game Friday if Golden State advances

> Danny Emerman is a Bay Area News Group sports reporter
> By DANNY EMERMAN | demerman@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
> PUBLISHED: April 15, 2024 at 1:50 p.m. | UPDATED: April 15, 2024 at 2:00
> p.m.
> https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/04/15/gary-payton-ii-sacramento-warriors-play-in/
>

> Payton has had trouble staying on the court this year. A strained right
> calf sidelined him for 13 games earlier this season. When he returned,
> Payton played just two games before straining his left hamstring, which
> held him out for 13 more. He missed the final three games of the regular
> season with his current ailment.
>
> Payton played 44 games this year — only seven more than Lester Quinones
> and 11 fewer than Draymond Green, who was suspended for large swaths of
> the year. Since Golden State re-acquired Payton at last year’s trade
> deadline, he has played in 63 of 122 possible games.

What a shame. Just can't stay healthy. Not a lot of counting stats but
he impacts the game.

--Robin

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / Re: BANG Gary Payton II to miss Warriors’ play-in round, beginning in Sacramento