From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG: Klay Thompson addresses uncertain future ahead of
Warriors-Kings play-in game
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 19:21:40 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 02:21 UTC

Klay Thompson addresses uncertain future ahead of Warriors-Kings play-in
game
Warriors’ play-in game vs. Kings could be Klay Thompson’s last with the
franchise
>Klay Thompson #11 of the Golden State Warriors reacts during the first
quarter of the game against the Boston Celtics at TD Garden on March 03,
2024 in Boston, Massachusetts. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges
and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, user is
consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License
Agreement. (Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)

Danny Emerman is a Bay Area News Group sports reporter
By DANNY EMERMAN | demerman@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 16, 2024 at 1:39 p.m. | UPDATED: April 16, 2024 at 4:37
p.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/04/16/i-dont-let-that-seep-in-at-all-klay-thompson-on-uncertain-future-ahead-of-warriors-kings-play-in-game/

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Since he was drafted in 2011, the Warriors are the
only organization Klay Thompson has known.

His 13-year tenure has included two head coaches and two home arenas. It
has spanned 951 games, four championships and two monumental leg
injuries — the highs and lows. A single-game record 14 3-pointers and
almost 3,000 total triples. In blue and gold, he became both Game 6 Klay
and Captain Klay: a future Hall of Famer worthy of a statue outside
Chase Center and a beloved fan favorite.

A loss in the play-in round to Sacramento on Tuesday — or on Friday if
they win — could end it all abruptly. At season’s end, Thompson will hit
free agency for the first time since 2019, meaning he might never wear a
Warriors uniform again.

That must be tough to compartmentalize, no?

“No, that’s life, man,” Thompson said at the Warriors’ shootaround in
Golden 1 Center. “I’ve had so much success here, I’m not going to let
whatever happens in the future make me salty about what I’ve been able
to accomplish in a Warriors uniform. So I don’t let that seep in at all.”

Thompson has expressed consistent interest in returning to the Warriors.
But extension negotiations stalled when he reportedly turned down a
two-year, $48 million offer last summer. He probably deserved a bigger
payday at the time, then earned an even larger one with his play this year.

--
KNBR
@KNBR ·Follow

“Nah. That’s life, man. Had so much success here not gonna let whatever
happens in the future make me salty about what I’ve been able to
accomplish in a Warriors uniform.”
[video]

12:33 PM · Apr 16, 2024
1.7K Reply Share
--

Thompson struggled at the outset of the season — he admitted on The
Draymond Green Show that contract talks were hanging heavy — and got

Off the bench or as a starter, Thompson has thrived in the second half.
In two fewer minutes compared to before the All-Star break, Thompson is
averaging more points and assists per game in the second half. He’s
shooting 41.2% from 3 and 45.4% overall since the break.

Thompson’s 38.7% mark from 3 was the lowest of his career, but he’s
still an elite shooter. He led the NBA in free throw percentage and hit
the fourth-most 3s in the league. He finished the season with three
25-point games in Golden State’s final four tilts.

“I feel great, I feel like I play my best basketball in February, March
and April,” Thompson said. “That’s a good sign, it’s better than doing
the opposite — starting hot and finishing cold. So that’s a silver
lining for myself, is just continuing what I’ve been doing because I’ve
been playing the best I’ve played all year.”

There will be teams interested in Thompson, even after his injuries and
as he’s past his prime. The Warriors, who are expected to cut their
payroll back in an effort to dip under the luxury tax threshold, may not
be the highest bidder.

>RELATED ARTICLES
2025 WNBA Draft: Five prospects to watch for Golden State’s expansion
team
Will the Warriors big bet on Jonathan Kuminga pay out?
Warriors-Kings, Vol. 5: The X’s and O’s that will keep Dubs alive or
send them packing
Steph Curry to compete for Team USA in Paris 2024 Olympics: Report
Gary Payton II to miss Warriors’ play-in round, beginning in Sacramento

The stakes are high for everyone in the Warriors’ play-in game. The
winner will travel to the loser of Lakers-Pelicans for a shot at a real
playoff series against Oklahoma City. The loser’s season is over.

Those stakes might be bigger for Thompson personally than anyone else.

“At the end of the day, it’s just basketball,” Thompson. “Hasn’t changed
since we were rookies. So I’m excited to get out there. Just got to
remember who you are, and that’s a champ. Never count out a champion.”

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / BANG: Klay Thompson addresses uncertain future ahead of Warriors-Kings play-in game