From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG/Kurtenbach: The Warriors bet big on Jonathan Kuminga. It must
pay out this postseason
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 19:18:41 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 02:18 UTC

Kurtenbach: The Warriors bet big on Jonathan Kuminga. It must pay out
this postseason
Golden State Warriors: The NBA postseason is all about wing players and
Jonathan Kuminga is the Dubs’ top option.
>Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry (30) hi-fives teammate Jonathan
Kuminga (00) in the third quarter of their NBA game at Chase Center in
San Francisco, Calif., on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024. The Golden State
Warriors defeated the Los Angeles Lakers 128-110. (Jose Carlos
Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)

By DIETER KURTENBACH | dkurtenbach@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News
Group
PUBLISHED: April 16, 2024 at 6:00 a.m. | UPDATED: April 16, 2024 at 7:24
a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/04/16/kurtenbach-the-warriors-bet-big-on-jonathan-kuminga-it-must-pay-out-this-postseason/

The matchups for Tuesday’s play-in tournament game between the Warriors
and Kings are tantalizing.

Steph Curry against De’Aaron Fox. Draymond Green against Domantas
Sabonis. Steve Kerr against Mike Brown.

But there’s one player for whom the other team cannot account.

And he just so happens to play the most important position in the game
come the postseason.

Warriors wing Jonathan Kuminga’s 2023-24 season has been a roller coaster.

There was the pre-report, pre-haircut Kuminga, who was in and out of
Kerr’s rotation and averaging 12 points per game, an inauspicious start
to the campaign that culminated in a conspicuous absence late in a home
loss to the Nuggets and a “loss of faith” in the head coach, as reported
by The Athletic on Jan. 5.

Since then, Kuminga has been arguably the Warriors’ third most important
player (behind Curry and Green), playing nearly 30 minutes per game and
averaging 19 points per contest.

And while the hype around the 21-year-old has risen alongside the
minutes and points, it’s still unclear if the Warriors can trust him as
the team heads into this postseason — his first with a role.

But it’s not like the Warriors have much of a choice.

For all Curry and Green’s greatness, the Warriors will go as far as
Kuminga can take them this postseason. He’s the X-factor, the
game-changer, the present and the future.

The NBA playoffs are defined by two-way wings—players who can create for
themselves and others at all three levels on offense and deny at all
three levels on defense.

There aren’t many players with the size and athleticism to control an
NBA playoff game.

Kuminga is certainly one.

And while, ironically, the Warriors have another option for that job —
Andrew Wiggins, the leading wing on the 2022 championship team — he is
more enigmatic than the kid from the Congo. Guessing if 2022 Wiggins
will arrive for this postseason is a fool’s errand.

For what it’s worth, the Warriors have come to accept that Wiggins was a
one-hit wonder. It’s better to keep expectations low. They’ll be happily
surprised if he reprises the role, though.

In the meantime, they’ll need a wing, and Kuminga is the next-best man
for the job.

But while Wiggins commits errors of omission — he floats on the court,
and not in a good way — the young and energetic Kuminga commits errors
of commission. He’s trying to do too much, which often leaves him
failing to do what he needs to do for the Warriors to win.

Many of the issues that limited Kuminga’s role at the beginning of the
season persist. They’ve shown themselves in the final weeks of the season.

But Kerr had no choice but to play Kuminga more in January and beyond
because the team was in disarray and was lacking anyone who could
reasonably be considered a No. 2.

He’s in the same spot heading into the postseason.

>RELATED ARTICLES
2025 WNBA Draft: Five prospects to watch for Golden State’s expansion
team
Klay Thompson addresses uncertain future ahead of Warriors-Kings
play-in game
Warriors-Kings, Vol. 5: The X’s and O’s that will keep Dubs alive or
send them packing
Steph Curry to compete for Team USA in Paris 2024 Olympics: Report
Gary Payton II to miss Warriors’ play-in round, beginning in Sacramento

While Wiggins and Klay Thompson have been better, alongside Kuminga they
can form a No. 2 by committee, but that will only get the Warriors so far.

If this team is to do something special — like Kerr believes it can — it
will be behind a star turn from Kuminga.

Of course, he could torpedo the season with his zeal to become a star.
After all, the Warriors are in a single-elimination tournament for the
next two games.

How Kuminga plays this postseason won’t just define the Warriors’
2023-24 season; it’ll also likely define the seasons to come.

If Kuminga takes another step forward starting Tuesday—if he rebounds,
plays elite defense, and is smart with the ball on offense (all things
he has shown he can do but rarely does concurrently)—the Warriors could
parlay that performance into a long-term bet on him.

If he fails to impress — if he spends all game leaking out looking for
transition dunks, if he spins on defense, and if he dribbles into
collapsed lanes on offense — it’ll make it all the easier to move him
this upcoming summer for someone who is more aligned with Curry and
Green’s career timelines.

Is it fair to turn what might be a one-game postseason run into a
referendum for a player this young?

Of course not.

But such is the Warriors’ challenge and the harsh reality of pro
basketball. The Dubs can’t wait to find out what Kuminga might become.

There is no next year for the Warriors as we know them.

There is only the here and now — one game with an entire dynasty on the
line.

And by some strange twist of fate, so much of that game rests on the
broad shoulders of Kuminga.

How will the kid carry the burden?

Re: BANG/Kurtenbach: The Warriors bet big on Jonathan Kuminga. It must pay out this postseason

<l895reFjvahU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=6898&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#6898

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: Re: BANG/Kurtenbach: The Warriors bet big on Jonathan Kuminga. It
must pay out this postseason
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 01:43:05 -0400
 by: Robin Miller - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 05:43 UTC

Allen wrote:
> [...]
> parlay that performance into a long-term bet on him.
>
> If he fails to impress — if he spends all game leaking out looking for
> transition dunks, if he spins on defense, and if he dribbles into
> collapsed lanes on offense — it’ll make it all the easier to move him
> this upcoming summer for someone who is more aligned with Curry and
> Green’s career timelines.
>
> Is it fair to turn what might be a one-game postseason run into a
> referendum for a player this young?
>
> Of course not.
>
> But such is the Warriors’ challenge and the harsh reality of pro
> basketball. The Dubs can’t wait to find out what Kuminga might become.
>
> There is no next year for the Warriors as we know them.
>
> There is only the here and now — one game with an entire dynasty on the
> line.
>
> And by some strange twist of fate, so much of that game rests on the

I wonder why there was so much focus on Kuminga for this game. While he
might have been the "X factor" in the sense that his production had a
wide range of possibilities, he was still the Warriors' fourth most
important player.

And, as it turned out, no one on the Warriors was good enough to change
the trajectory of the game. Curry can still shoot but he's an old man
now. And the Warriors still can't defend the three-point line.

Such a disappointing outcome. I had a feeling they would lose but
expected a close game. It was not to be.

I feel sorry for Klay.

--Robin

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / Re: BANG/Kurtenbach: The Warriors bet big on Jonathan Kuminga. It must pay out this postseason