From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG:_Klay_Thompson_went_ice_cold_vs._Kings,_but_Wa
rriors_say_they_‘need’_him_back
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:41:47 -0700
 by: Allen - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 23:41 UTC

Klay Thompson went ice cold vs. Kings, but Warriors say they ‘need’ him back
Thompson is heading into unrestricted free agent on a strange note
>Golden State Warriors’ Klay Thompson #11 and Draymond Green #23 leave
the court after the Sacramento King’s 118-94 NBA play-in tournament win
at the Golden One Center in Sacramento, Calif., on Tuesday, April 16,
2024. Thompson is now a free agent. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)

Danny Emerman is a Bay Area News Group sports reporter
By DANNY EMERMAN | demerman@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 17, 2024 at 5:00 a.m. | UPDATED: April 17, 2024 at
10:52 a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/04/17/we-need-klay-back-dubs-dont-want-klay-thompsons-dreadful-play-in-game-to-be-his-last-as-a-warrior/

SACRAMENTO — Only six players have gone scoreless in a postseason game
while attempting at least 10 field goals in the shot clock era.

The list spans from 1978 to the NBA Finals last year: Bob Wilkerson,
Nate Robinson, Marvin Williams, Trevor Ariza, Reggie Bullock and Max Strus.

The only reason Klay Thompson won’t join them is because play-in round
stats curiously don’t count towards official records.

Thompson doesn’t belong in the same sentence as those players, anyway.
He’s a five-time All-Star and a four-time NBA champion. He has a
legitimate claim as the second-greatest 3-point shooter ever. He’s had
some of the most clutch playoff performances ever — his 41-point “Game 6
Klay” Game against the Thunder in 2016, nine 3s against Houston with
their backs against the wall, back-to-back 27-point gems to eliminate
the Rockets a year later.

But when the Warriors had a chance to keep their long-held belief that
they could make another deep playoff run alive, Thompson threw up a
goose egg. He went 0-for-10, including six 3-pointers, for his worst
shooting game of his NBA career. Unlike in past cold shooting nights,
Thompson didn’t make up for it on the defensive end or by playmaking.

Thompson wasn’t the only reason the Warriors fell, 118-94, to the Kings
in the 9/10 play-in game. But his worst game ever came in possibly his
last game as a Warrior, as he’s bound for unrestricted free agency.
After the final horn sounded, he lingered for an extra moment on the
court to soak in the scene.

>Golden State Warriors' Klay Thompson (11) stops near the entrance of
the players tunnel and takes a moment to himself after being defeated by
the Sacramento Kings during their NBA Play-In Tournament game at the
Golden 1 Center in Sacramento, Calif., on Tuesday, April 16, 2024. The
Sacramento Kings defeated the Golden State Warriors 118-94. (Jose Carlos
Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)

If that was Thompson’s last moment in a Warrior uniform, it didn’t make
much sense dramatically. The former postseason hero who went through the
NBA hell of missing two straight seasons due to catastrophic injuries
deserved a more triumphant ending. The Warriors still believe they’re
going to write a different one.

“Everybody’s going to talk about one game,” Steph Curry cautioned
postgame. “I know he wanted to play better. But we go through so much
over 82 games, and the fact that he was able to turn his season around,
with a new role.”

It’s true: Thompson flipped the script on a season that, early on, was
headed for ignominy. He reluctantly embraced a move to the bench, caught
a rhythm, and thrived once he returned to the starting lineup. He played
78 games — most since his consecutive ACL and Achilles tears — which he
takes immense pride in. He hit the fourth-most 3s in the league.

But now, the Warriors’ season is abruptly over. Questions about the
team’s future will swirl earlier than anyone in the organization hoped.
Can the dynastic core of Curry, Thompson, and Draymond Green still vie
for titles? Is there any possible way to add a second elite scorer next
to Curry? Can the Warriors dip under the luxury tax and remain competitive?

In one way or another, Thompson is at the center of each question. If he
decides to leave in free agency — or if the team lets him go — an era
will officially end.

It doesn’t seem like the Warriors are ready for that fade to black.

>Golden State Warriors' Draymond Green #23 sits on the bench in the
second quarter of their NBA play-in tournament game against the
Sacramento Kings at the Golden One Center in Sacramento, Calif., on
Tuesday, April 16, 2023. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)

“Obviously, we want Klay back,” Draymond Green said. “We’ve been through
a lot. Incredible highs. Some shitty lows. But the common denominator
through both of them is we’ve gone through each and every scenario
together. It’s obvious that we want to continue what we’ve been doing,
but I understand he’s got a decision to make. He’s going to make the
best decision for him. The team’s got a decision to make. They’ll make
the best decision for the team.”

Green noted that he believes the Warriors’ ownership group won’t
penny-pinch Thompson. They took care of Green with a contract extension,
have always maxed out Curry, and extended Steve Kerr as well. After
Thompson tore his ACL, the franchise gave him a $190 million contract,
Green reminded everyone from the Golden 1 Center podium.

“They’ve shown nothing but respect, loyalty, love, trust,” Green said.

The 34-year-old Thompson has shown signs of decline. But he’s still a
valuable player — and will probably always be more valuable to the
Warriors than any other team. His chemistry with Curry and Green goes
back more than a decade. No one knows how to leverage his shooting
threat more than the Warriors. His intrinsic value to the organization
and fan base is immense.

“I love Klay so much,” Kerr said Tuesday night.

>Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr talks to his players
during a timeout in the first quarter of their NBA Play-In Tournament
game at the Golden 1 Center in Sacramento, Calif., on Tuesday, April 16,
2024. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)

“We need Klay back,” Kerr later added. “I know he had a tough night
tonight. But what he represents for us, the spacing — we’re not a deep
shooting team. We’re a little top-heavy. Klay’s presence means so much
to the spacing on the floor, to the flow of the offense. He’s still got
good years left. And I know I speak for everyone in the organization: we
want him back. Obviously, there’s business at hand, and that has to be
addressed with Klay’s representatives, with Mike and Joe. But what Klay
has meant to the franchise, as good as he still is, we desperately want
him back.”

>RELATED ARTICLES
Kurtenbach: The Warriors’ future is murky, but here’s what to expect
this offseason
Warriors exit interviews: Gary Payton II wants to stay long-term,
Chris Paul not done yet
How the Warriors lost their way this season
Photos: Golden State Warriors season is over after 118-94 play-in
tournament loss to Sacramento Kings
Warriors' dynasty is over. It ended in embarrassment

It’s a two-way street. Thompson has expressed interest in being a
Warrior for life, but extension negotiations stalled when he reportedly
turned down a two-year, $48 million offer. Teams like the Heat, Magic,
76ers, Thunder, Spurs and Lakers would probably love to add a shooter
like him.

There will almost certainly be offers on the table for Thompson to leave.

“I have no reason to think our ownership group (isn’t) going to take
care of us the way we’ve taken care of the organization,” Green said.
“Like I said, ultimately that decision will be Klay’s.”

If Thompson decides to leave the Bay Area, he’ll do so on a strange,
sour note — as one of the greatest shooters to ever live who, for one
night in Sacramento, couldn’t make a single shot.

>Golden State Warriors’ Klay Thompson #11 sits on the bench during a
timeout in the final minutes of the fourth quarter of their NBA play-in
tournament game against the Sacramento Kings at the Golden One Center in
Sacramento, Calif., on Tuesday, April 16, 2023. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area
News Group)

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / BANG: Klay Thompson went ice cold vs. Kings, but Warriors say they ‘need’ him back