From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG:_Mike_Dunleavy_says_‘everything_is_on_the_
table’_for_Warriors’_offseason._It_needs_to_be
.
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:18:05 -0700
 by: Allen - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 03:18 UTC

Mike Dunleavy says ‘everything is on the table’ for Warriors’ offseason.
It needs to be.
The general manager addressed the media after the Warriors' season ended
>Golden State Warriors’ Klay Thompson #11 is greeted by Jonathan
Kuminga #00 as he comes out in the fourth quarter of their NBA play-in
tournament game against the Sacramento Kings at the Golden One Center in
Sacramento, Calif., on Tuesday, April 16, 2024. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area
News Group)

Danny Emerman is a Bay Area News Group sports reporter
By DANNY EMERMAN | demerman@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 18, 2024 at 4:20 p.m. | UPDATED: April 19, 2024 at 4:09
a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/04/18/mike-dunleavy-said-everything-is-on-the-table-for-warriors-offseason-it-needs-to-be/

SAN FRANCISCO — The Warriors have an aging roster that just finished a
middling season. They just paid a ludicrously large luxury tax bill with
a team icon hitting free agency. They have a responsibility to compete
for titles as long as Steph Curry remains great and a moral obligation
to keep their dynastic core intact — possibly contradicting needs.

That sounds like a summer of migraines for Mike Dunleavy Jr. The
Warriors’ general manager was disappointed to be sitting at a podium on
April 18 rather than, say, June 18 for his end-of-season debrief.

After a quick opening statement, Dunleavy reiterated Steve Kerr, Curry
and Draymond Green’s public desire to bring Klay Thompson back. He said
he didn’t have any regrets from a quiet trade deadline. He said he
believes the Warriors were closer to the top of the Western Conference
than the bottom — even though they actually finished 10th.

The anticlimactic end to Golden State’s season is still fresh. But the
real work for Dunleavy will begin soon. The twilight of a dynasty is in
his hands.

“I think I probably operate off the saying: ‘There’s never a bad time to
make a good decision,’” Dunleavy said. “So, doesn’t mean it’s not tough
and you stir over it, but my job is to have the best interests of this
franchise and the direction of this franchise and when I make a decision
or we make a decision. So, that’s what I’m going to do.”

Golden State has an “unequivocal” need to improve, Dunleavy said.
Especially if the Warriors keep their legendary trio intact, as they’re
posturing, everything else must be on the table to get better. Trades,
spending, strategy tweaks — the works. This season provided Dunleavy
with clarity on what this roster is and where it’s heading, and his
takeaway should be that simply running it all back isn’t a viable option.

Dunleavy is ready to navigate the offseason with that in mind.

“I think everything’s on the table in terms of how we play, how we want
to do things,” Dunleavy said. “When you have a couple years, you know,
we’ve missed the playoffs three of the last five years, so it’s fair to
evaluate and make changes to things.”

The first order of business for the offseason will be Thompson. He
wasn’t yet ready to dive into his pending free agency in his exit
interview, but he’ll have suitors. He wants to win, to feel respected
and to have a sense of happiness at this late stage of his career. The
Warriors won’t be the only team to offer all three.

“Certainly we want Klay back, first and foremost,” Dunleavy said. “I
expressed that to him yesterday. I think our players have expressed
that, our coach, front office, ownership, look, everybody wants Klay back.”

Golden State’s preference of keeping Thompson will have to coalesce with
its goal of shedding salary. Everybody knows it doesn’t make sense to
field a $400 million lottery team. Majority owner Joe Lacob has been
vocal about possibly dipping under the luxury tax threshold.

The Warriors are roughly $41 million over the tax. Thompson reportedly
turned down a two-year, $48 million extension last winter. Both
retaining him and cutting under the tax line would likely require him to
take even less than that on an annual basis.

--
Warriors on NBCS
@NBCSWarriors ·Follow

Dunleavy on the Warriors' trade deadline approach and if he would have
done anything different
[video]

3:45 PM · Apr 18, 2024
147 Reply Share
--

“I wouldn’t say we’re at a point now where we’re saying we got to be out
of the tax or we got to be under a certain apron or anything like that,”

How to build a championship contender around Curry, Green and Thompson
at this stage of their careers is the real question. It might not be
possible. Golden State needs a reliable second scorer next to Curry.
They need a shooter to supplant Thompson in the starting lineup and
reduce his minutes. They need more athleticism to apply ball pressure
and speed up their pace.

Some of those needs are on the current roster and under contract. Most
are not.

The Warriors likely don’t have their first-round pick this year, but
have two future firsts and multiple pick swaps to dangle in trades.
Their best asset on the player side is Jonathan Kuminga.

The Warriors still believe in Kuminga, both short- and long-term. But
unless he rapidly improves as a passer, off-ball defender and 3-point
shooter, he won’t be his fully formed, prime self in the next two years
— the two years that matter for the 36-year-old Curry, Green and Thompson.

If another team thinks Kuminga could be the next Paul George, Kawhi
Leonard or Jaylen Brown, the Warriors should at least have the
conversation about taking their best package and letting them see if
they’re right.

“I think we have enough good players in our system, we have enough
assets to acquire good players and we have the ability to keep getting
better,” Dunleavy said. “So, given that, as long as those guys are still
really good, like, yeah, I think we can contend and compete.”

Chris Paul has a non-guaranteed $30 million contract, so the Warriors
can either waive him for cap relief or trade him. Andrew Wiggins is
going to be the subject of trade speculation given the wing logjam.
Perhaps Moses Moody would be more valuable to a rival team than in
Golden State, where his role has yo-yoed.

If a star player fades out of the playoffs and demands a trade, the
Warriors should make anyone available — including impressive rookies
Brandin Podziemski and Trayce Jackson-Davis.

“I think the premise of getting better, that’s what we got to look at,
for sure,” Dunleavy said of a trade. “So, that will be taken into
consideration. We also have to be mindful of the player who it is, the
age of the player, the skill set of the player, it’s all got to fit to
be able to put the chips on the table to make a move. So those are the
things we’ll kind of look at and evaluate, but, yeah, there’s multiple
ways to get better and that’s certainly one of ’em.”

A core of Curry, Green and Thompson is flawed. Curry has said, “I just
want to win.” To grant him that wish, everything around the trio will
have to click masterfully.

Beyond personnel, the Warriors may have to rethink their style. The
Warriors play a beautiful game, but their motion offense of
split-actions, floor-bending spacing and freestyling isn’t as novel as
it once was.

In some ways, the league has caught up. Kerr, who has said that he
didn’t do a good enough job putting some players in positions to score
this year, has to adjust.

“I learned so much basketball from Tex Winter and Phil Jackson, and what
Phil used to tell us is, ‘We don’t run the triangle for Michael and
Scottie, we run it for the rest of you guys,’” Kerr said.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Kurtenbach: Klay Thompson wants to live in the present. His Warriors
future will be rooted in the past
Warriors’ Steph Curry explains why 2024 is the right time to make his
Olympic debut
Kerr sees ‘tremendous value’ in Curry, Thompson, Green being Warriors
for life
‘I would love to get him out there more:’ Steve Kerr details Moses
Moody’s inconsistent role with Warriors
Warriors coach Steve Kerr on Draymond Green: “If we decided he wasn’t
worth it … we would have moved off of him years ago”

“We can run anything for those guys and they will be fine, but we run it
for the rest of you guys to help you make decisions, to help simplify
the game. And I’m not going to run the triangle so don’t put that in a
headline, but I need to create a simpler format.”

Dunleavy thinks the coach will be “open” to changes, though Kerr said,
“philosophically, I don’t think we need a huge schematic shift.”

The Warriors struggled with guarding the 3-point line. They played
slowly, ranking last in percentage of points scored on the fast break.
Their mix of crashing the offensive glass and sprinting back on defense
was askew.

Click here to read the complete article

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / BANG: Mike Dunleavy says ‘everything is on the table’ for Warriors’ offseason. It needs to be.