From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG:_Warriors_coach_Steve_Kerr_on_Draymond_Green:_
“If we decided he wasn’t worth it … we wou
ld_have_moved_off_of_him_years_ago”
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:20:12 -0700
 by: Allen - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 03:20 UTC

Warriors coach Steve Kerr on Draymond Green: “If we decided he wasn’t
worth it … we would have moved off of him years ago”
Steve Kerr gives a 700-plus word response about Draymond Green during a
season-ending news conference, calls relationship between player, team
"complex"
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – OCTOBER 14: Golden State Warriors’
Draymond Green (23) speaks to Golden State Warriors head coach Steve
Kerr during the second quarter of their preseason NBA game at the Chase
Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Friday, Oct. 14, 2022. (Jose Carlos
Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)

Darren Sabedra, high school sports editor/reporter, for his Wordpress
profile. (Dai Sugano/Bay Area News Group)
By DARREN SABEDRA | dsabedra@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 18, 2024 at 4:28 p.m. | UPDATED: April 19, 2024 at 4:05
a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/04/18/warriors-coach-steve-kerr-on-draymond-green-if-we-decided-he-wasnt-worth-it-we-would-have-moved-off-of-him-years-ago/

Despite his many flaws — two suspensions this season, punching teammate
Jordan Poole last season — Warriors star Draymond Green will go into the
summer knowing that his longtime coach still has his back.

In his season-ending news conference Thursday, coach Steve Kerr called
the team’s relationship with the volatile Green “complex” but added that
he’s one of the most loyal, smartest and competitive players he has been
around.

Kerr was asked if Green will be a changed person moving forward or if
the team accepts that the veteran’s unpredictable behavior could lead to
another suspension – like the ones he served this season for grabbing
the neck of Minnesota’s Rudy Gobert and striking Phoenix’s Jusuf Nurkić.

What followed was a 738-word response from Kerr.

Here are the highlights:

“I have so much faith in Draymond because I know him so well as a human
being,” Kerr said. “He’s flawed. We’re all flawed. But he would be the
first to tell you he’s probably more flawed than the rest of us, right.
I mean, he’s the one who has had these transgressions, not the other
guys, it’s been him. He would be the first to tell you that.

“But he’s one of the most loyal people I’ve ever met. He’s one of the
most competitive, he’s one of the smartest players I’ve ever been
around. And yet he makes these decisions that hurt the team, that aren’t
smart. So how do you reconcile all that? It’s really difficult.

“The No. 1 thing I would say is, if we decided he wasn’t worth it, you
know, then we would have moved off of him years ago. But he’s worth it
and he’s worth it not only because of the banners that are hanging out
there, because he really is a wonderful human being. He is somebody who
I love deeply, who I care for, and in some ways I love him because of
his flaws, because he’s so human.

“What happened over the last year was it went from maybe him yelling at
me and us getting into a tiff, or him getting ejected or him running up
his technicals or getting a flagrant foul, to a, wait a second, it
turned violent, you know, he punched Jordan, you know, he grabbed Rudy
Gobert by the neck, he flailed at Nurc, like that stuff, that is, just
by basic laws of society, basic norms, like, you can’t do that, right.

“So at that point, you know, when the League suspended him, it was the
best thing to happen to Draymond. His career was on the line, and it is
on the line every day. So, as someone who loves Draymond and values him
so much, I am going to continue to help him any way that I can to live
his best life, to be the best version of himself, which he really was
for the last two months. I’ll be really honest, like during the
suspension, I was sitting there, like, can he actually get a few
sessions of therapy and change? I don’t think that’s possible.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Warriors’ Steph Curry explains why 2024 is the right time to make his
Olympic debut
Kerr sees ‘tremendous value’ in Curry, Thompson, Green being Warriors
for life
‘I would love to get him out there more:’ Steve Kerr details Moses
Moody’s inconsistent role with Warriors
Mike Dunleavy says ‘everything is on the table’ for Warriors’
offseason. It needs to be.
Klay Thompson really, really doesn’t want to talk about his free agency

“But whatever he did over the last three months, he was the best version
of himself, not just on the court, in the locker room, leading the young
guys. His teammates would all tell you how great he was. He had the
ejection in Orlando, which became a national story. I don’t know, maybe
it’s just because I, you know, I understand him so well, I didn’t mind
the ejection. I mean, yeah, it was bad timing, but if you want to
embrace the fact that Draymond is this insane competitor who is just
going to play with so much emotion and passion, which makes our team so
much better, then you kind of have to accept, all right, he’s going to
get kicked out a few games a year. That’s my approach. The other stuff,
can’t happen.

“You know, the physical acts, that will cost him his career, not only in
the NBA but beyond the next career. He knows that. So, that’s, you know,
Draymond’s complex, his relationship with our franchise is complex, but
at the core of it is a deep loyalty and passion and love, and we share
that with him, and that’s really tricky to reconcile, so you almost
don’t even try to reconcile it. You help him through it and you make
sure he’s the best version of himself and you keep pushing. Then you say
something’s unforgivable and then you forgive him for it. I mean, let’s
be honest. But I think he did cross a line with the stuff that happened
early in the season and he knows it. And his, you know, the rest of his
career, he knows the League won’t allow him to cross, we won’t let him
allow him to cross that line again.”

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / BANG: Warriors coach Steve Kerr on Draymond Green: “If we decided he wasn’t worth it … we would have moved off of him years ago”