From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG:_Kerr_sees_‘tremendous_value’_in_C
urry,_Thompson,_Green_being_Warriors_for_life
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:25:24 -0700
 by: Allen - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 03:25 UTC

Kerr sees ‘tremendous value’ in Curry, Thompson, Green being Warriors
for life
Klay Thompson is a pending free agent entering the Warriors' offseason
>SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – JAN. 9: Golden State Warriors’ Klay
Thompson (11) sits with teammates Draymond Green (23) and Stephen Curry
(30) before the start of their NBA game against the Cleveland Cavaliers
at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Sunday, Jan. 9, 2022. This
is the first time that Thompson has played since Game 6 of the 2019 NBA
Finals when he tore his ACL against the Toronto Raptors. (Jose Carlos
Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)

Danny Emerman is a Bay Area News Group sports reporter
By DANNY EMERMAN | demerman@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 19, 2024 at 5:15 a.m. | UPDATED: April 19, 2024 at 5:20
a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/04/19/kerr-sees-tremendous-value-in-curry-thompson-green-being-warriors-for-life/

SAN FRANCISCO — In 1998, Steve Kerr was one of the several Chicago Bulls
who left the franchise after winning the team’s sixth title.

“There was a documentary about what a disaster the whole thing was, you
guys might want to watch it,” Kerr quipped Thursday.

Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, and Kerr won the 1998 NBA
Championship and never played for the Bulls again. Their Last Dance
ended the greatest dynasty in modern NBA history.

With the Warriors, Kerr will see a completely different end to another
dynasty. The Warriors, winners of four titles in the past decade with
Kerr as head coach, won their cherry-on-top championship in 2022. They
have no plans in an abrupt ending, no: the team intends to let Steph
Curry, Draymond Green and Klay Thompson ride off into the sunset
together. Especially if Kerr has his way.

“I do think there’s tremendous value in the three of them being Warriors
for life,” Kerr said. “It matters that Kobe (Bryant) was a Laker for
life. That’s meaningful to the Laker franchise. I think it would be
incredible if these three guys could play their whole careers here.
That’s meaningful. It matters to our fans, it matters to our franchise.
So I hope it happens.”

The Warriors were the 10th best team in the Western Conference this year
and got eliminated in the play-in round. Keeping the championship core
intact is expensive and tricky; if they’re not the three best players,
it’ll be difficult to build a championship contender around them.

Curry, Green and Kerr — who got a record extension during the season —
are under contract through at least 2026. If the Warriors bring Thompson
back, as they publicly desire, his deal will likely align with them for
the next two seasons.

Curry will be on an All-NBA team this year. Green, despite volatile,
violent behavior that cost him a quarter of the season, is still one of
the best defenders in the league. Thompson finished fourth in the NBA in
3-point makes and was amenable to the kind of bench role the Warriors
will want him in the future.

“I think that would be a hard, a really hard dilemma if they weren’t
still good players,” Kerr said. “That’s where it’s like is this just a
legacy thing or are we just, you know, keeping them around because of
what they have built? I don’t think that’s the case at all. Now, clearly
they’re not going to be as productive and as durable as they were five,
six years ago, but we have to figure out what that means.”

In 1998, the Bulls had clearly had enough of each other. There aren’t
strong indications that’s the case with the Warriors’ core.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Kurtenbach: Klay Thompson wants to live in the present. His Warriors
future will be rooted in the past
Warriors’ Steph Curry explains why 2024 is the right time to make his
Olympic debut
‘I would love to get him out there more:’ Steve Kerr details Moses
Moody’s inconsistent role with Warriors
Warriors coach Steve Kerr on Draymond Green: “If we decided he wasn’t
worth it … we would have moved off of him years ago”
Mike Dunleavy says ‘everything is on the table’ for Warriors’
offseason. It needs to be.

There’s intrinsic, sentimental value — as Kerr mentioned — to keeping
the band together until the very end. Curry, Thompson and Green will
have statues outside Chase Center one day.

It’s also possible Thompson leaves in free agency, closing the chapter
on the trio’s era. If he does so, his last moment as a Warrior will be
going 0-for-10 in a scoreless elimination game in Sacramento.

“Rarely is it storybook,” Kerr said of NBA dynasties ending. “It’s
impossible for this stuff to end perfectly. I do think there is a lot of
value, as I just said, to having our three guys being Warriors for life.
I think there’s a lot of value in ending with dignity. I’m really proud
of the guys this year, even though we didn’t make the playoffs. I loved
the effort, I loved the chemistry. People can be disappointed, we’re all
disappointed, but I loved the turn in Klay and Draymond’s seasons. So,
for those three, (I) really want to see all of them finish their careers
here, but also finish out their careers with a sense of pride and
dignity in what they’re doing and the way they’re going about their
business.”

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / BANG: Kerr sees ‘tremendous value’ in Curry, Thompson, Green being Warriors for life