From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG/AP:_Warriors’_Steph_Curry_explains_why_202
4_is_the_right_time_to_make_his_Olympic_debut
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:27:17 -0700
 by: Allen - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 03:27 UTC

Warriors’ Steph Curry explains why 2024 is the right time to make his
Olympic debut
At age 36, Curry is one of several superstars returning to Team USA for
the Paris Olympics
By ASSOCIATED PRESS | ap@dfmdev.com | Associated Press
PUBLISHED: April 19, 2024 at 7:59 a.m. | UPDATED: April 19, 2024 at 9:35
a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/04/19/stephen-curry-tells-the-ap-why-2024-is-the-right-time-to-make-his-olympic-debut/

By TIM REYNOLDS | AP Basketball Writer

Golden State guard Stephen Curry knew he was running out of chances to
play in what would be his first Olympics, so he and his wife Ayesha
started planning many months ago about how to make the Paris Games work
for their family.

Their growing family, that is.

Ayesha Curry revealed in March that she is pregnant with the couple’s
fourth child and the baby is due in June. That’s not entirely by
accident; the couple thought ahead with hopes of keeping the Olympic
months of July and August clear — just in case.

“We thought about it ahead of time, which was nice,” Curry said. “If the
timing didn’t work at a certain month in the fall, we actually would
have made a different decision knowing the Olympics were on the radar.
So, thankfully, the Lord looked out for us and if everything goes to
plan, I’ll be available this summer.”

That is, indeed, the plan. Curry was one of the 12 names formally
announced by USA Basketball on Wednesday as the initial roster for this
year’s Paris Olympics. It’s entirely possible that the roster gets
tweaked between now and the first practice in early July — injuries or
long playoff runs could spark changes — but Curry, now 36, has been
planning to make his Olympic debut this summer for some time.

“I wanted to play in the last two that I was eligible for,” Curry said,
referring to the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games and the Tokyo Games that were
delayed to 2021 because of the pandemic. “Watching guys that I’ve been
competing against the last 10 years all have that experience win gold
medals, watching three of my teammates (Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson and
Draymond Green) win gold medals, I knew I wanted to do that.”

It would be logical to think that part of the recruitment pitch to Curry
this time around was the fact that the Olympic team is coached by Steve
Kerr, his coach with the Warriors.

That wasn’t really the case. Curry had talks with Durant and LeBron
James about teaming up — those talks sparked in part by the U.S. taking
a less star-studded team to the World Cup in Manila last summer and
finishing fourth — but Kerr wasn’t pushing his best player to play this
year.

“He wanted to do it,” Kerr said. “He’s excited. I think 2016 would have
been the year that made the most sense. In 2020, there was the pandemic.
But I’ve never had the discussion with him. Going to the Finals wears
you down and we had gone in 2015 and 2016. Then 2021 comes around, there
was the pandemic, but now, it makes perfect sense. It’s another box to
check in his career.”

There aren’t too many of those boxes unchecked. And this might really be
the last one of any significance left.

He’s the NBA’s all-time 3-point record holder, a four-time NBA champion,
10-time All-Star, nine-time (and probably soon to be 10-time) All-NBA
selection, a two-time scoring champion, a two-time MVP, a Finals MVP, an
All-Star MVP and a member of the league’s 75th anniversary team. He even
helped put together one of the more memorable moments in All-Star
history this year, when he faced off with WNBA star Sabrina Ionescu —
someone he simultaneously mentors and admires — in a 3-point contest.

The legacy has long been secure. But a little extra gold wouldn’t hurt.

“That’s the goal,” Curry said.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Kurtenbach: Klay Thompson wants to live in the present. His Warriors
future will be rooted in the past
Kerr sees ‘tremendous value’ in Curry, Thompson, Green being Warriors
for life
‘I would love to get him out there more:’ Steve Kerr details Moses
Moody’s inconsistent role with Warriors
Warriors coach Steve Kerr on Draymond Green: “If we decided he wasn’t
worth it … we would have moved off of him years ago”
Mike Dunleavy says ‘everything is on the table’ for Warriors’
offseason. It needs to be.

Curry and the Warriors won 46 games this season but didn’t make the NBA
playoffs, falling to Sacramento on Tuesday in an elimination game of the
Western Conference play-in tournament, 118-94. So, the next time he’s
slated to play for real is now July, when the Americans convene for
training camp in Las Vegas. The U.S. opens Olympic play against Serbia
on July 28.

Curry has played with “USA” across his chest plenty of times before,
going back 17 years. He was on the under-19 team that won gold at the
2007 Global Games and won silver in that year’s U19 world championships
— “that burned,” Curry said, “because you hate losing at anything.”

He hasn’t lost a game with the national team since — 18 games, 18 wins.
The Americans went 9-0 on their way to gold at the 2010 world
championship (now called the World Cup), then went 9-0 on the way to
another gold at the World Cup in 2014.

“I definitely wanted this experience,” Curry said of playing in an
Olympics. “I think the timing is just right. I’m later in my career.
This is probably the last opportunity I have to play. And that made it a
much easier decision to say, ‘This makes sense.’ And then I was talking
to some other guys who were interested in playing, so you knew this
could be a great team.”

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / BANG/AP: Warriors’ Steph Curry explains why 2024 is the right time to make his Olympic debut