From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: NBCSBA: Why Kerr sees similarities between Podz, Lakers' Reaves
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 21:29:52 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
 by: Robin Miller - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 01:29 UTC

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/brandin-podziemski-austin-reaves-steve-kerr/1727172/

Why Kerr sees similarities between Podz, Lakers' Reaves

By Angelina Martin

• Published 4 hours ago

Warriors rookie Brandin Podziemski made a name for himself during the
2023-24 NBA season, having an immediate impact on a Golden State team
that unfortunately fell just short of expectations.

But it's clear there's still plenty more to come from the 21-year-old,
and Warriors coach Steve Kerr believes Podziemski can make shooting
strides similar to another young guard in the Western Conference next
season.

"I think it's very realistic," Kerr told reporters Thursday during his
end-of-season press conference, discussing whether or not Podziemski can
play more of a shooter role for the Warriors moving forward. "I think
shooting is probably the easiest thing to improve, especially when you
already have good touch. And, I mean, he shot 38 percent this year. But
he wasn't necessarily a shoot-first guy. It was sort of an afterthought.
He wants to make a play first.

"He's a different player from Austin Reaves, but I see similarities --
just having coached Austin this past year, in the World Cup -- they're
similar sized, they're both a lot stronger and quicker than they look on
the floor. Some of it is because their game speed is really high. They
may not time well in the 40, but their game speed, because of their
reaction or their proactivity on the floor, both guys, there's a lot to
their games.

"Austin, I think, shot 32 percent from three his first year, and then
shot up to around 40. I think most players in their second or third year
who are already pretty good shooters make pretty big strides, because
the game does slow down."

It's clear Kerr expects a Year 2 leap for Podziemski, which Reaves
experienced during the 2022-23 NBA season with the Lakers. Reaves shot
31.7 percent from three during his rookie campaign, then finished his
second season with a 39.8-percent mark from deep.

Podziemski, even with a similar size and style, already is a few steps
ahead of Reaves after shooting 38.5 percent from behind the arc during
his own rookie season. But as a first-round pick of the 2023 NBA Draft
-- Reaves went undrafted in 2021 --the expectations are even higher for
Podziemski.

And Kerr knows the youngster is up for the challenge.

"I think one of the things that we'll work with Brandin -- I already
talked to him about it -- is becoming more catch-and-shoot oriented,"
Kerr continued. "If you're open from three, let it go. It's an area of
the league where everyone's gotten smarter, shot selection and, you
know, open threes are hard to come by. If you get one, you don't want to
pass them up. I think that our young guys, it's something that they
really have to adapt to."

The NBA is a league of adaptation, and that's something Podziemski
certainly learned during his first season. After a campaign full of ups
and downs, the only thing left for everyone on the Warriors to do is try
and improve for next year.

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / NBCSBA: Why Kerr sees similarities between Podz, Lakers' Reaves