From 0 to "what seems to be the problem officer" in 8.3 seconds. -- Ad for the new VW Corrado

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / NBCSBA: Dunleavy doesn't regret Warriors' trade deadline inactivity

SubjectAuthor
o NBCSBA: Dunleavy doesn't regret Warriors' trade deadline inactivityRobin Miller

1
NBCSBA: Dunleavy doesn't regret Warriors' trade deadline inactivity

<l8j8pfF5e8gU7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=6926&group=alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors#6926

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: NBCSBA: Dunleavy doesn't regret Warriors' trade deadline inactivity
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 21:34:31 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
 by: Robin Miller - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 01:34 UTC

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/mike-dunleavy-doesnt-regret-trade-deadline-inactivity/1727006/

Dunleavy doesn't regret Warriors' trade deadline inactivity

By Joaquin Ruiz

• Published April 19, 2024

Many Warriors fans wanted Golden State (46-36) to shake things up before
the Feb. 8 trade deadline during the 2023-24 NBA season.

While a major move never came to fruition and Golden State flamed out in
the NBA Play-In Tournament against the Sacramento Kings, a trade
wouldn’t have made things worse in hindsight.

However, Warriors general manager Mike Dunleavy firmly believes it was
best not to tweak the roster, a process he explained to reporters on
Thursday.

"I think knowing what I know now, there is not anything on the table
that I would have done or gone through with,” Dunleavy said. “I think it
was good to see this team out. I think one of the best things about this
year, frankly, is there were no catastrophic injuries. There's no, 'Hey,
Steph only played 40 games. What would this team be like without him?'
Things like that.

"We know clearly what this team was. It wasn't good enough, and so
there's no doubt about that. There's no 'what ifs' if we had made a move
at the deadline -- 'Well, maybe that wasn't the right move' [or] 'What
if we had kept this guy or that guy?' We answered all those questions,
and so now we can move forward with clarity.

The Warriors made a blockbuster trade last offseason by dealing Jordan
Poole to the Washington Wizards for 12-time NBA All-Star Chris Paul.
Golden State hasn’t made a trade of that magnitude since.

At the deadline, the Warriors kicked the tires on trading for
then-Toronto Raptors forward OG Anunoby, ESPN’s Zach Lowe reported,
citing sources, but nothing came of that, either.

Dunleavy wishes the Warriors’ season went better. However, he values the
information he was able to garner about his team throughout the year.

"But going back on it, no, I feel good about this team,” Dunleavy added.
“We really put a lot into it before the season started and a lot of
thought. I thought it could play multiple ways -- pretty versatile
defensively, offensively. Did we do those throughout the year? No. But
to be able to see that out after the deadline, I thought was important.

“That's ... the feedback I got from the players, the coaching staff.
And, frankly, we were 27-12 the last half of the season. So, I'm good
with how we went after the deadline. Just don't like maybe the earlier
part of the season that got us too far behind that we couldn't make up."

The Warriors looked like their dynastic selves to end the year, but as
Dunleavy mentioned, the team just didn’t have enough juice and dug
itself too deep of a hole early on.

And it was the right move, in Dunleavy’s eyes, not to do more than trade
Corey Joseph to the Indiana Pacers at the deadline for draft
considerations and everyone’s favorite -- cash considerations.

However, it appears the Warriors might need to make moves during the
offseason.

Expect Dunleavy to be working the phones more than before in his second
offseason as general manager.

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / NBCSBA: Dunleavy doesn't regret Warriors' trade deadline inactivity