From: ala...@yahoo.com (Allen)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors
Subject: BANG/Moore:_Three_reasons_the_Warriors’_season_
went_up_in_flames
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 20:31:38 -0700
 by: Allen - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 03:31 UTC

Moore: Three reasons the Warriors’ season went up in flames
Golden State Warriors now face pivotal offseason after bowing out to
Kings in play-in tournament
>Golden State Warriors’ Draymond Green #23 sits on the bench in the
second quarter of their NBA play-in tournament game against the
Sacramento Kings at the Golden One Center in Sacramento, Calif., on
Tuesday, April 16, 2024. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)

By JANNELLE MOORE | Warriors Analyst
PUBLISHED: April 20, 2024 at 5:35 a.m. | UPDATED: April 20, 2024 at 5:36
a.m.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/04/20/moore-three-reasons-the-warriors-season-went-up-in-flames/

Warriors head coach Steve Kerr appeared on 95.7 The Game’s Willard and
Dibs show the day after his Golden State Warriors were pummeled by the
Sacramento Kings in an embarrassing season-ending beatdown in the
play-in tournament, lamenting what could have and frankly, what should
have been.

“This felt like a 50-win team to me. Feels to me like we should be down
1-0 in a series, not having the season finished,” he said.

Kerr is right, the Warriors were supposed to be in contention. They
constructed, albeit awkwardly, a veteran-leaning roster expecting to
compete. The shame of it all is the Warriors’ season didn’t have to end
the way it did. They flamed out and now face a pivotal offseason. Here
are three reasons why the Warriors’ season ended like it did.

- Blown leads

Golden State lost 13 games while having a lead of 12 points or more
heading into the fourth quarter. Losses against the Thunder (Nov. 18,
Dec. 8), Kings (Nov. 28), Clippers (Dec. 2) and Nuggets (Jan. 4)were the
most notable.

What stands out to me is that the Warriors had the firepower and the
offense to build the lead. They were unable to close these games because
of a combination of turnovers, defensive lapses and attrition down the
stretch of games.

Since the Warriors’ motion offense is predicated on passes and cuts, a
high turnover count is a byproduct. The defensive breakdowns were the
biggest culprit to these blown leads. Opposing offenses tend to get good
looks along the perimeter and heat up from three mainly because the
Warriors’ defense has a tendency to overhelp, which leads to the next point.

- Green’s suspension

Draymond Green was suspended for 16 games for hitting Phoenix Suns
center Jusuf Nurkic. When Greens suspension began Dec. 13, the Warriors’
defensive rating was an alarming 123.3.

During this period and his return, the Warriors’ defense had a rating of
117.7. Green’s presence on the floor during these games would have
helped defensively in terms of roaming, helping and communication.

Offensively, his playmaking could have swung a few games the Warriors’
way not only through his facilitation but also through his auxiliary
scoring. Green made an effort to make defenses pay this season. He shot
39.5 percent from 3 — his highest percentage since the 2015-16 season.

When Green was available, he has been a positive. His temper was the
Warriors’ costliest turnover.

>RELATED ARTICLES
Kurtenbach: Klay Thompson wants to live in the present. His Warriors
future will be rooted in the past
Warriors’ Steph Curry explains why 2024 is the right time to make his
Olympic debut
Kerr sees ‘tremendous value’ in Curry, Thompson, Green being Warriors
for life
‘I would love to get him out there more:’ Steve Kerr details Moses
Moody’s inconsistent role with Warriors
Warriors coach Steve Kerr on Draymond Green: “If we decided he wasn’t
worth it … we would have moved off of him years ago”

- Lineup mismanagement

Granted, the Warriors’ roster construction was far from perfect. Kerr
spent most of the season trying to find combinations and rotations that
work. Even in experimentation, there could have been better options than
what Kerr decided to move forward with. In different pockets of the
season, Kerr relied on a three-guard lineup that often struggled on
defense. Kerr also at times had the right players in the rotation but
utilized them less than he should have.

Trayce Jackson-Davis’ minutes are a recent example.

In the Warriors’ April 12 loss to the New Orleans Pelicans,
Jackson-Davis was a team-best plus-12 in his 22 minutes, putting up a
double-double of 10 points and 11 rebounds on 71% from the field.
Despite the numbers, he played the least of the starters.

While he didn’t give some players enough time, Kerr utilized some
players too much. Brandin Podziemski hustled his way into the rotation
but there were times in the season when he averaged 30 or more minutes.
Podziemski rebounds well for his size and can draw a charge. However, he
does not have the size to defend.

Again, this roster was not a seamless fit and it was sometimes clunky.
However, in my opinion, there wasn’t a need for frequent three-guard
lineups and playing an underutilized player such as Jackson-Davis or
even Moses Moody could have won the Warriors a couple of games.

sport / alt.sports.basketball.nba.gs-warriors / BANG/Moore: Three reasons the Warriors’ season went up in flames