From: bds...@e2mwoj2.ipp.mpg.de (Bruce Scott)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Subject: Salzburg and Covid
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 18:50:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Bruce Scott - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 18:50 UTC

Maybe Werner can fill us in... didn't Salzburg have a bunch of Covid
cases recently? I had the impression last night some younger rookies
were in there, had to feel sorry for the guy who gave up those two
penalties. Their attackers were fearless but the back half of the
lineup was overmatched.

--
ciao, Bruce

Re: Salzburg and Covid

<354335fa-d089-450b-9b57-e44c6c4785ebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=7063&group=rec.sport.soccer#7063

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 00:22:45 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Salzburg and Covid
From: wpich...@gmail.com (Werner Pichler)
 by: Werner Pichler - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 08:22 UTC

On Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 7:50:18 PM UTC+1, Bruce Scott wrote:
> Maybe Werner can fill us in... didn't Salzburg have a bunch of Covid
> cases recently? I had the impression last night some younger rookies
> were in there, had to feel sorry for the guy who gave up those two
> penalties. Their attackers were fearless but the back half of the
> lineup was overmatched.

Yep, they had a major cluster just after the first leg. Some have suggested it was poetic justice
because Red Bull's local TV chain has for a long time veered dangerously towards the anti-vaxxer
side.

It's not an excuse (especially as Bayern had their own share of COVID cases), but the outbreak
very likely had a negative impact on their usual high-octane style.

Ciao,
Werner

> --
> ciao, Bruce

Re: Salzburg and Covid

<slrnt2khoc.1kk7.bds@bruces-air.ipp.mpg.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=7072&group=rec.sport.soccer#7072

From: bds...@bruces-air.ipp.mpg.de (Bruce Scott)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 18:44:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Bruce Scott - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 18:44 UTC

On 2022-03-10, Werner Pichler <wpichler@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 7:50:18 PM UTC+1, Bruce Scott wrote:
>> Maybe Werner can fill us in... didn't Salzburg have a bunch of Covid
>> cases recently? [...]
>
> Yep, they had a major cluster just after the first leg. Some have
> suggested it was poetic justice because Red Bull's local TV chain
> has for a long time veered dangerously towards the anti-vaxxer side.

Oh I did hear about that... saw a bit of Servus TV when they had
someone dishing out the real conspiracy theories. Not the moderator's
stance, but there was no pushback whatever. Of course, those in
Bayern (BR24 etc) are "concerned" :-)

> It's not an excuse (especially as Bayern had their own share of
> COVID cases), but the outbreak very likely had a negative impact on
> their usual high-octane style.

I thought of perhaps a missing defender, like Davies for us (he's a
covid case, but the other major absence is Goretzka which is an
injury).

--
ciao, Bruce

Re: Salzburg and Covid

<203ba30d-5fc7-4886-8c7e-80ee7020bd36n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=7164&group=rec.sport.soccer#7164

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 14:34:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: wpich...@gmail.com (Werner Pichler)
 by: Werner Pichler - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 21:34 UTC

On Thursday, March 10, 2022 at 7:44:31 PM UTC+1, Bruce Scott wrote:
> On 2022-03-10, Werner Pichler <wpic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 7:50:18 PM UTC+1, Bruce Scott wrote:
> >> Maybe Werner can fill us in... didn't Salzburg have a bunch of Covid
> >> cases recently? [...]
> >
> > Yep, they had a major cluster just after the first leg. Some have
> > suggested it was poetic justice because Red Bull's local TV chain
> > has for a long time veered dangerously towards the anti-vaxxer side.
> Oh I did hear about that... saw a bit of Servus TV when they had
> someone dishing out the real conspiracy theories. Not the moderator's
> stance, but there was no pushback whatever. Of course, those in
> Bayern (BR24 etc) are "concerned" :-)
>
> > It's not an excuse (especially as Bayern had their own share of
> > COVID cases), but the outbreak very likely had a negative impact on
> > their usual high-octane style.
>
> I thought of perhaps a missing defender, like Davies for us (he's a
> covid case, but the other major absence is Goretzka which is an
> injury).

Oumar Solet carried a knock and shouldn't have played (was subbed off after 45 minutes).

I just watched Salzburg limp into the Austrian cup final, and large parts of the team looked absolutely
flat. It appears clear to me that the COVID outbreak must have severely affected their training regime
and match fitness. Players like Okafor, Adeyemi, and even fighters like Kristensen look like shadows
of their former selves.

Ciao,
Werner