Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 14:58:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: FA Cup quarter finals [R]
From: real_mar...@yahoo.co.uk (Real Mardin)
 by: Real Mardin - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 21:58 UTC

Couldn't find a thread discussing this weekend's FA Cup quarter finals:

Middlesbrough 0 - Chelsea 2

What this lacked in terms of an even contest between a Championship and a Premier League side was made up for by a great atmosphere, with the Boro fans singing loud and proud even when 2-0 down. If you can create that good an atmosphere when you're losing the game you're doing something right.

Crystal Palace 4 - Everton 0

Didn't watch this one.

Southampton 1 - Manchester City 4

Sort of half watched this, the pundits seemed to think the scoreline flattered City.

Nottingham Forest 0 - Liverpool 1

Once upon a time this tie was a cup classic, with these two sides having something of rivalry in the late 70's and 80's. That they haven't played in the same league for 23 seasons might have caused tensions to cool down somewhat, although Liverpool were still met with a lively enough atmosphere at the City Ground.

Liverpool had some chances in the first half, with American keeper Ethan Horvath denying Liverpool a first half lead, assisted by a defender who cleared the rebound. The scores were level at half time, on 77 minutes Zinckernagel was put through with a golden chance to give Forest the lead, but he misplaced his shot wide. The next minute Jota gave Livepool the lead despite the replay seemingly showing him to be marginally offside, but VAR approved the goal. Pre-VAR I'd have said this was a case of giving the attacker the benefit of the doubt, post VAR I've certainly seen similar positions ruled offside.

Forest had a late penalty shout denied when Ryan Yates went down after there appeared to be contact from Liverpool keeper Alisson Becker, but no penalty was given. I've heard reactions ranging from "not enough contact", to "the attacker dragged his leg over the keeper's hand" to "the attacker was too honest and should have gone to ground earlier" but for me it's another frustrating call as I've certainly seen penalties given in other matches for similar situations.

This felt like a "proper cup match", closely contested despite one team being a division higher than the other, with a loud atmosphere and (as much as I didn't like the calls) a little bit of drama with key decisions.

Semi-finals:

Chelsea v Crystal Palace

Manchester City v Liverpool

RM

Re: FA Cup quarter finals [R]

<t18a6p$17ui$59@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=7260&group=rec.sport.soccer#7260

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Subject: Re: FA Cup quarter finals [R]
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 22:35:05 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 22:35 UTC

In article <2c2aeb82-014a-47a2-b0f1-bd0c93405e6en@googlegroups.com>,
Real Mardin <real_mardin@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>Couldn't find a thread discussing this weekend's FA Cup quarter finals:
>
>Middlesbrough 0 - Chelsea 2
>
>What this lacked in terms of an even contest between a Championship and
>a Premier League side was made up for by a great atmosphere, with the
>Boro fans singing loud and proud even when 2-0 down. If you can create
>that good an atmosphere when you're losing the game you're doing
>something right.
>

>Crystal Palace 4 - Everton 0
>
>Didn't watch this one.
>

>Southampton 1 - Manchester City 4
>
>Sort of half watched this, the pundits seemed to think the scoreline
>flattered City.
>

>Nottingham Forest 0 - Liverpool 1
>
>Once upon a time this tie was a cup classic, with these two sides having
>something of rivalry in the late 70's and 80's. That they haven't played
>in the same league for 23 seasons might have caused tensions to cool
>down somewhat, although Liverpool were still met with a lively enough
>atmosphere at the City Ground.
>
>Liverpool had some chances in the first half, with American keeper Ethan
>Horvath denying Liverpool a first half lead, assisted by a defender who
>cleared the rebound. The scores were level at half time, on 77 minutes
>Zinckernagel was put through with a golden chance to give Forest the
>lead, but he misplaced his shot wide. The next minute Jota gave Livepool
>the lead despite the replay seemingly showing him to be marginally
>offside, but VAR approved the goal. Pre-VAR I'd have said this was a
>case of giving the attacker the benefit of the doubt, post VAR I've
>certainly seen similar positions ruled offside.
>
>Forest had a late penalty shout denied when Ryan Yates went down after
>there appeared to be contact from Liverpool keeper Alisson Becker, but
>no penalty was given. I've heard reactions ranging from "not enough
>contact", to "the attacker dragged his leg over the keeper's hand" to
>"the attacker was too honest and should have gone to ground earlier" but
>for me it's another frustrating call as I've certainly seen penalties
>given in other matches for similar situations.
>
>This felt like a "proper cup match", closely contested despite one team
>being a division higher than the other, with a loud atmosphere and (as
>much as I didn't like the calls) a little bit of drama with key
>decisions.
>
>Semi-finals:
>

>Chelsea v Crystal Palace

London Derby! I am split.

>Manchester City v Liverpool

Hopefully the referee issues 50 red cards here.

Weasels say whatever we want to hear. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com