P-K4

sport / rec.sport.soccer / Re: [R. 4 PM PDT 3/25/22] So, for Qatar 2022, getting everything together in one shot:

SubjectAuthor
* [R. 4 PM PDT 3/25/22] So, for Qatar 2022, getting everything togetherMichael Falkner
+* Re: [R. 4 PM PDT 3/25/22] So, for Qatar 2022, getting everything togetherThe Doctor
|`- Re: [R. 4 PM PDT 3/25/22] So, for Qatar 2022, getting everythingMichael Falkner
`- Re: [R. 4 PM PDT 3/25/22] So, for Qatar 2022, getting everythingMichael Falkner

1
[R. 4 PM PDT 3/25/22] So, for Qatar 2022, getting everything together in one shot:

<d9b4d070-2330-48f0-ad42-7058375ffea7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=7381&group=rec.sport.soccer#7381

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 16:49:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [R. 4 PM PDT 3/25/22] So, for Qatar 2022, getting everything together
in one shot:
From: darkstar...@gmail.com (Michael Falkner)
 by: Michael Falkner - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 23:49 UTC

ALREADY QUALIFIED:

Host:

Qatar.

UEFA Group Winners:

Serbia
Spain
Switzerland
France
Belgium
Denmark
Netherlands
Croatia
England
Germany

Asia 1st and 2nd in Final Group Phase Qualifiers:

South Korea
Iran
Japan
Saudi Arabia

CONMEBOL Group Stage Qualifiers

Brazil
Argentina
Ecuador
Uruguay

That's 19 of the 32 teams.

So now:

UEFA:

In playoffs for the final three spots, and it's three pods, 3-4 teams to a pod.

Wales has beaten Austria, but that pod will have to wait until June, when Scotland and the Ukraine MIGHT play, to determine what happens from there.

As such, Russia was thrown out of world soccer, so Poland got direct advancement to a second pod final. They play Sweden, who ousted the Czech Republic in extra time.

And in the one pod which goes normally: Italy falls to North Macedonia, Turkey beaten by Portugal. North Macedonia goes to Portugal for a qualification spot next week.

ASIA:

A bit of work to do. The four direct spots have been determined (see above).

There is still one match to play in both groups, and the third placed teams from each group play one match in Qatar in June. THAT winner plays one match with the CONMEBOL fifth-place finisher a week later in Qatar for a spot in the main tournament.

Australia has already won the Group B spot, but Group A is a bit complicated.

UAE 9 pts -1 GD
Iraq 8 pts -6 GD
Lebanon 6 pts -6 GD

Final relevant matches Tuesday

Iran-Lebanon -- Lebanon must win and get a lot of help.

UAE hosts South Korea

Iraq goes to Dubai to play Syria.

UAE wins, they go to the Asia playoff.

UAE draws, Iraq must win to go to the playoff, Lebanon is eliminated.

UAE loses, and it gets fun:

Iraq gets to the Asia playoff with a win, or a draw if UAE loses by at least five AND Lebanon does not win.

Lebanon must win, UAE must lose, a goal differential of at least 5 must be made up there, and Iraq cannot win.

COMNEBOL (5th place, all four direct spots determined):

Involved teams all have one match left. Best of these three teams plays the Australia/TBD Asian playoff winner in Qatar in June.

Peru 21 pts -5 GD
Colombia 20 pts even GD
Chile 19 pts -5 GD

Again Tuesday:

Peru hosts Paraguay
Colombia goes to Venezuela
Chile hosts Uruguay

Peru: Win, or neither other team wins, with the except they are out with a loss and a Colombia draw.

Colombia: Win and Peru does not better than a draw, draw and Peru does not win and Chile doesn't win by 5 or more. Out with loss.

Chile: Must win, Colombia cannot win, and Peru can do no better than a draw.

AFRICA:

In two-legged final-phase ties for the five qualification spots, first legs held today:

Senegal will host Egypt on Tuesday down 1-0.

Algeria will host Cameroon up 1-0

Nigeria will host Ghana after a scoreless draw today.

Morocco will host DR Congo after a 1-1 draw today.

and Tunisia will host Mali up 1-0.

CONCACAF (three direct, 4th to playoff w/ Oceania):

Probably the most to do of any of the confederations left. (That's why it's the Rockingest!)

The eight-team Octagonal has two rounds left, and the only things decided are that Canada is, at worst, in a playoff with the Oceania winner and that Jamaica, Honduras, and El Salvador are eliminated.

Canada 25 pts +13 GD
USA 22 pts +9 GD
Mexico 22 pts +6 GD
Costa Rica 19 pts +2 GD
Panama 18 pts +1 GD

Canada qualifies directly with one draw, home to Jamaica or at Panama -- or if Costa Rica doesn't get six points and the USA or Mexico at least three.

Canada is the only team which has full destiny in hands in the penultimate round. Neither USA nor Mexico can clinch in unless Costa Rica, at best, draws El Salvador.

And a loss by either really jumbles the mess for the automatics and the playoff.

Speaking of that playoff:

THE OCEANIA QATAR INVITATIONAL

That's about the best way to put the mess.

A tsunami cancelled the one qualification match. COVID outbreaks advanced two teams to the semifinals directly, making one group completely meaningless.

And that's after the entire tournament had to be moved to Qatar for COVID considerations.

In short, we now are at the semifinals:

Sunday, the Solomon Islands play Papua-New Guinea.

New Zealand faces Tahiti.

Those two winners play Wednesday.

THAT winner gets CONCACAF #4 in June in Qatar.

Mike

Re: [R. 4 PM PDT 3/25/22] So, for Qatar 2022, getting everything together in one shot:

<t1lmle$1982$3@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=7383&group=rec.sport.soccer#7383

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
in one shot:
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 00:27:26 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 00:27 UTC

In article <d9b4d070-2330-48f0-ad42-7058375ffea7n@googlegroups.com>,
Michael Falkner <darkstar7646@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
>Canada is the only team which has full destiny in hands in the
>penultimate round. Neither USA nor Mexico can clinch in unless Costa
>Rica, at best, draws El Salvador.
>
>And a loss by either really jumbles the mess for the automatics and the playoff.
>
>Speaking of that playoff:
>
>THE OCEANIA QATAR INVITATIONAL
>
>That's about the best way to put the mess.
>
>A tsunami cancelled the one qualification match. COVID outbreaks
>advanced two teams to the semifinals directly, making one group
>completely meaningless.
>
>And that's after the entire tournament had to be moved to Qatar for
>COVID considerations.
>
>In short, we now are at the semifinals:
>
>Sunday, the Solomon Islands play Papua-New Guinea.
>
>New Zealand faces Tahiti.
>
>Those two winners play Wednesday.
>
>THAT winner gets CONCACAF #4 in June in Qatar.

Thank you!
Doing something easy and useless is the call of the world. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: [R. 4 PM PDT 3/25/22] So, for Qatar 2022, getting everything together in one shot:

<3e97c1f9-b7dc-4d17-9a39-ff0b80e5e90dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=7384&group=rec.sport.soccer#7384

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 17:51:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [R. 4 PM PDT 3/25/22] So, for Qatar 2022, getting everything
together in one shot:
From: darkstar...@gmail.com (Michael Falkner)
 by: Michael Falkner - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 00:51 UTC

I know it's immense, but I figured putting it all in one place could help as a baseline.

Mike

Re: [R. 4 PM PDT 3/25/22] So, for Qatar 2022, getting everything together in one shot:

<8a8d493a-4727-4e8f-b436-9cd46cef7912n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=7424&group=rec.sport.soccer#7424

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 08:58:34 -0700 (PDT)
together in one shot:
From: darkstar...@gmail.com (Michael Falkner)
 by: Michael Falkner - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 15:58 UTC

Tuesday 3/29 as of 9 AM PDT.

CONCACAF:

Canada has qualified. USA and Mexico will on Wednesday unless Costa Rica routs the United States by several goals.

ASIA:

Playoff: UAE (1-0 winners today over South Korea) vs. Australia

Seven more spots given out today. The five African spots and two of the three UEFA playoffs. After today, only five spots will be left -- the UEFA Ukraine playoff pod spot (June), the two interconfederational playoff spots (June: Australia/UAE vs. COMNEBOL #5, Solomon Islands/New Zealand vs. probably Costa Rica) and the two CONCACAF spots (tomorrow).

Mike