Every creature has within him the wild, uncontrollable urge to punt. -- Snoopy

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys / Re: Day 2 mysterious draft of players with low draft prospect rankings

SubjectAuthor
* Day 2 mysterious draft of players with low draft prospect rankingsobserver
`* Re: Day 2 mysterious draft of players with low draft prospect rankingsDLS S
 `* Re: Day 2 mysterious draft of players with low draft prospect rankingsobserver
  `* Re: Day 2 mysterious draft of players with low draft prospect rankingsobserver
   `- Re: Day 2 mysterious draft of players with low draft prospect rankingsDLS S

1
Day 2 mysterious draft of players with low draft prospect rankings

<c8752d52-8fdc-435b-b588-edb09b180aa5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=732&group=alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys#732

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 14:45:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Day 2 mysterious draft of players with low draft prospect rankings
From: prohuman...@gmail.com (observer)
 by: observer - Sat, 1 May 2021 21:45 UTC

Per the following article, the day 2 theme
was "length and speed", with the additional
them on the defensive line being "wrestling
experience":
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/01/cowboys-reveal-two-words-that-drove-day-two-draft-picks/

The Dallas front office decided to leave more
familiar names on the board with every pick
they made in Rounds 2 and 3 of the 2021 draft.

For many Cowboys fans watching from home,
the collective theme at the end of Day Two could
therefore be described as “confusion and frustra-
tion.”

Head coach Mike McCarthy, though, offered dif-
ferent words that he says guided the franchise’s
brain trust on their Friday selections.

“You never have enough length and speed,” Mc-
Carthy told reporters during the team’s press con-
ference after the third round had concluded. “As
you look at these selections, I think it’s clearly
evident.”

But both cornerbacks selected on Friday - Kelvin
Joseph and Nahshon Wright - went beyond the
mere tale of the tape and backed up their mea-
surable stats with impressive showings at their
pro days.

“I was at his workout in Kentucky,” the coach said
of second-rounder Joseph. “[We] have some peo-
ple there in Kentucky that were very instrumental
in giving us insight on his experience there at Ken-
tucky. Tremendous athlete; his visible skills are
something that just really stood out to us- not ...

.... only on film and his year there in his opportunity
to play corner, but also in the workout that day.”

“Nahshon Wright,” McCarthy continued, “love his
length. I really like his path through his career - the
receiver skills. Dan Quinn actually was up at the
Oregon State workout, and we loved the tape going
into it - his ability to play with length but also to go
track the ball. Some of our guys compared him to ...

.... [current Cowboys cornerback] Trevon [Diggs] as
far as his ability to track the football. So I think both
those young guys bring us two excellent players who
will compete in the secondary.”

But the mantra of the night also helped drive the team’s
other two picks in the third round, defensive tackle Osa-
wanu Odighizuwa and defensive end Chauncey Golston.
Supersized arm length is apparently a trait that new de-
fensive coordinator Dan Quinn seems to value just as
highly as McCarthy.

The trio of free agent defensive linemen signed since
Quinn’s arrival only confirms the trend. Tarell Basham,
Brent Urban, and Carlos Watkins all top 34-inch arm
length as well.

“Osa and Chauncey definitely both bring different dimen-
sions, going back to length,” McCarthy elaborated. “You
look at the length. Osa obviously gives us the pass rush.
He can play the 3, the 4, the 5, and even go further inside
and some sub-rush from the lower shade or 1-technique.”

“Golston is the power player, will play more toward our
base side. He can play the 3, but also, I think he’ll be in
power play for us in the 4-technique, the 5, and out to
the 6. Just two young studs that give us length, give us
some more juice there. We feel really good about our
depth now in our front. I was really excited about getting
both of those big guys.”

McCarthy also noted that Odighiwuza and Golston have
wrestling experience in their backgrounds. He thinks the
time they’ve spent grappling on the mat will only help
them battle in the trenches.

“I like multi-sport athletes,” the coach admitted. “I think
anytime a player has multi-sport experiences in his back-
ground, I think that’s definitely a plus. It shows his versa-
tility, particularly when you get into perimeter players.
Their hand-eye coordination, you can see [that] with the
guys in basketball, baseball, and those types of things.

Definitely when you’re playing into leverage opportuni-
ties - particularly in the offensive and defensive front -
I think a wrestling background is excellent. Definitely
good to have on your resume.”

So the young rookies may find themselves right at home
at AT&T Stadium, a venue that’s seen its fair share of big-
time wrestling events.

“We’re big fans of the WWE,” McCarthy joked, turning to
his boss with a laugh. “I mean, this is show business, right,
Jerry?”

It’s always show business in Dallas. And the Cowboys look
to be giving top billing this year to stars who can play with
length and speed.

--- --- ---

Re: Day 2 mysterious draft of players with low draft prospect rankings

<30dca357-c9b6-458a-9da7-892325892128n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=736&group=alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys#736

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 17:22:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: dls...@gmail.com (DLS S)
 by: DLS S - Sun, 2 May 2021 00:22 UTC

On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 5:45:24 PM UTC-4, observer wrote:
> [...]
> ground, I think that’s definitely a plus. It shows his versa-
> tility, particularly when you get into perimeter players.
> Their hand-eye coordination, you can see [that] with the
> guys in basketball, baseball, and those types of things.
>
> Definitely when you’re playing into leverage opportuni-
> ties - particularly in the offensive and defensive front -
> I think a wrestling background is excellent. Definitely
> good to have on your resume.”
>
> So the young rookies may find themselves right at home
> at AT&T Stadium, a venue that’s seen its fair share of big-
> time wrestling events.
>
> “We’re big fans of the WWE,” McCarthy joked, turning to
> his boss with a laugh. “I mean, this is show business, right,
> Jerry?”
>
> It’s always show business in Dallas. And the Cowboys look
> to be giving top billing this year to stars who can play with

Will, there ever be a day when you might realized that sports aren't play on a computer?

I want to say F your "points" your stupid copy and paste rankings
Why would fans be bewildered about players they haven't seen suit up yet?

Yada yada...they left bigger name...so F what!!

Maybe the players chosen might fit better!!

You don't know, I don't know the people picking don't know what is for sure or not.

Re: Day 2 mysterious draft of players with low draft prospect rankings

<2f410c70-56c5-4723-b472-2b5b9d635bddn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=741&group=alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys#741

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 17:59:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: prohuman...@gmail.com (observer)
 by: observer - Sun, 2 May 2021 00:59 UTC

On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 7:22:32 PM UTC-5, dls...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 5:45:24 PM UTC-4, observer wrote:

..> > Per the following article, the day 2 theme
..> > was "length and speed", with the additional
..> > them on the defensive line being "wrestling
..> > experience":
..> > https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/01/cowboys-reveal-two-words-that-drove-day-two-draft-picks/
..> >
[...]
..> > --- --- ---

> Will, there ever be a day when you might realized that sports aren't play on a computer?

You are familiar with the manner in which teams
decide who to draft and when they draft, and the
article you replied to explained the Cowboys rea-
soning (some of it) behind their questionable 3rd
round picks, all of those players with evaluations
placing them in later rounds (Osa ranked 155th, ...

.... a 5th round draft grade, Chauncey ranked
228th, a 7th round draft grade, Nahshon ranked
296th, a college free agent signing draft grade).

Why the Cowboys felt compelled to draft those
3 in the 3rd round, length & speed are far short
of adequate explanations, and as with all draft
picks, Cowboys fans hope for the best, hope
Dan Quinn's 'new' (hearken back to his success
with the Seahawks, his 3rd rounders supposed ...

.... to be reflecting his effort to resemble that
success) defense meets expectations, but I,
for one, am mystified why they felt those 3
were worthwhile picks in round 3 rather than
later. 7 of their 8 other picks, close to where
they should've been made. One, late in the ...

.... 6th round, cornerback Israel Mukuamu,
a 4th round draft grade, ranked 132nd,
drafted at overall pick 227, that's what
draft pundits refer to as a 'find', drafting
a player ranked much higher than where
you drafted him at, that was the Cowboys' ...

.... sole incidence of drafting a player who
was ranked much higher than where they
drafted him at. The 3 3rd rounders, drafted
much higher (earlier) than where they were
ranked.

My analysis containing those details and
more will be made later today and always,
we won't know how good/bad this draft
actually turned out to be until a few years
have passed, though I suspect the actual
reason underlying the 3rd round 'reaches',
we'll probably never know.

Is it possible the Cowboys (or Dan Quinn)
had inordinant interest in those 3 players
and feared other teams would scoop them
up? Well, as they say, anything's possible,
but their relatively low draft prospect grades
certainly don't indicate that was in play.

--- --- ---

Re: Day 2 mysterious draft of players with low draft prospect rankings

<0e4b8e60-0e05-48e5-8147-4f1781e6caean@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=745&group=alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys#745

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 19:05:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: prohuman...@gmail.com (observer)
 by: observer - Sun, 2 May 2021 02:05 UTC

Follow-up Correction:

The Cowboys made -2- draft picks with the
draft prospect value higher than where the
players were drafted:

1) LB Jabril Cox, 4th round draft pick 10 -
overall draft pick 115, his draft prospect
value was 59th highest (late 2nd round
ranking).

and

2) CB Israel Mukuamu, 6th round draft
pick 43 - overall draft pick 227, his draft
prospect value was 132nd highest (late
4th round ranking),

those are what draft pundits refer to as
'draft gems', drafting a player ranked
much higher than where you drafted him
at, those were the Cowboys' -2- incidents
of drafting a player who was ranked much
higher than where they drafted him at.

The 3 3rd rounders, drafted much earlier
than where they were ranked. (see below)

On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 7:59:31 PM UTC-5, observer wrote:

> On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 7:22:32 PM UTC-5, dls...@gmail.com wrote:

> > Will, there ever be a day when you might realized that sports aren't play on a computer?

/> You are familiar with the manner in which teams
/> decide who to draft and when they draft, and the
/> article you replied to explained the Cowboys rea-
/> soning (some of it) behind their questionable 3rd
/> round picks, all of those players with evaluations
/> placing them in later rounds (Osa ranked 155th, ...
/>
/> ... a 5th round draft grade, Chauncey ranked
/> 228th, a 7th round draft grade, Nahshon ranked
/> 296th, a college free agent signing draft grade).
/>
/> Why the Cowboys felt compelled to draft those
/> 3 in the 3rd round, length & speed are far short
/> of adequate explanations, and as with all draft
/> picks, Cowboys fans hope for the best, hope
/> Dan Quinn's 'new' (hearken back to his success
/> with the Seahawks, his 3rd rounders supposed ...
/>
/> ... to be reflecting his effort to resemble that
/> success) defense meets expectations, but I,
/> for one, am mystified why they felt those 3
/> were worthwhile picks in round 3 rather than
later. 6 of their 8 other picks, close to where
/> they should've been made. ...
/>

The Cowboys made -2- draft picks with the
draft prospect value higher than where the
players were drafted:

1) LB Jabril Cox, 4th round draft pick 10 -
overall draft pick 115, his draft prospect
value was 59th highest (late 2nd round
ranking).

and

2) CB Israel Mukuamu, 6th round draft
pick 43 - overall draft pick 227, his draft
prospect value was 132nd highest (late
4th round ranking),

those are what draft pundits refer to as
'draft gems', drafting a player ranked
much higher than where you drafted him
at, those were the Cowboys' -2- incidents
of drafting a player who was ranked much
higher than where they drafted him at.

The 3 3rd rounders, drafted much earlier
than where they were ranked. (see above)

/>
/> My analysis containing those details and
/> more will be made later today and always,
/> we won't know how good/bad this draft
/> actually turned out to be until a few years
/> have passed, though I suspect the actual
/> reason underlying the 3rd round 'reaches',
/> we'll probably never know.
/>
/> Is it possible the Cowboys (or Dan Quinn)
/> had inordinant interest in those 3 players
/> and feared other teams would scoop them
/> up? Well, as they say, anything's possible,
/> but their relatively low draft prospect grades
/> certainly don't indicate that was in play.
/>
/> --- --- ---

Re: Day 2 mysterious draft of players with low draft prospect rankings

<b511d2e1-8293-4bce-8494-50fbd492c685n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=746&group=alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys#746

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 19:16:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: dls...@gmail.com (DLS S)
 by: DLS S - Sun, 2 May 2021 02:16 UTC

On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 10:05:15 PM UTC-4, observer wrote:
> [...]
> /> actually turned out to be until a few years
> /> have passed, though I suspect the actual
> /> reason underlying the 3rd round 'reaches',
> /> we'll probably never know.
> />
> /> Is it possible the Cowboys (or Dan Quinn)
> /> had inordinant interest in those 3 players
> /> and feared other teams would scoop them
> /> up? Well, as they say, anything's possible,
> /> but their relatively low draft prospect grades
> /> certainly don't indicate that was in play.
> />
> /> --- --- ---

You are familiar with the manner in which teams
/> decide who to draft and when they draft, and the
/> article you replied to explained the Cowboys rea-
/> soning (some of it) behind their questionable 3rd
/> round picks, all of those players with evaluations
/> placing them in later rounds (Osa ranked 155th, ...

No only you put so much into such rubbish.

If you drafted players ranked ahead on paper all the time you most likely never won anything.

How many countless time has it been proven that ranking, draft evaluations aren't a given to success.

I can't see how any fan of any team can question or be frustrated based on not even seeing a player suit up yet.