Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 01:41:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RIP_Freddy_Rincón
From: llb.mo...@gmail.com (Lléo)
 by: Lléo - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 08:41 UTC

Colombian football is in mourning. Freddy Rincón suffered a heavy car crash
on Monday night in Cali. He resisted for two days but, sadly, has succumbed
to the injuries sustained in the accident and passed away yesterday, at age 55.

Rincón was a member of the generation that brought Colombian football back to
the football map in the late 1980's/early 1990's. With teammates such as
Valderrama, Higuita, Iguarán, Valencia et al, he helped Colombia in their
return to the World Cup in 1990 after a 28-year long abscence. In that Cup,
Rincón scored what is one of the most celebrated goals in the history of
Colombian football, at the end of the group stage against West Germany:

https://youtu.be/VlnZ1UnQS6U

That last gasp goal saved Colombia from a first round exit, and was Germany's
only hiccup in their run to the trophy. Maybe they could have gone farther,
but Higuita and Milla famously had other ideas. Three years later, he would
also feature proeminently in Colombia's notorious 5-0 win over Argentina at
Monumental de Nuñez, scoring twice in that game.

In numbers, it was 84 caps, 17 goals, playing in three World Cups and three
Copa Americas (semifinalist in all of them, two bronze medals) and being a
protagonist in two of his national team's most famous moments. Not bad I'd say.

His club level career was more trophy-laden. He won silverware in his native
Colombia with Independiente Santa Fe and America de Cali, but his most successful
spells were with Palmeiras and Corinthians, winning a total of three Campeonatos
Brasileiros, two SP state leagues and FIFA's initial Club World Cup in 2000..
Apart from that, there were some forays in Europe at Napoli and Real Madrid,
and some brief spells at Santos and Cruzeiro.

An attacking midfielder who easily adapted to defensive midfield as he moved to
Corinthians, I remember him as a widely respected player on his day, a key member
of his national team and most of the clubs he played for.

Condolences to his family and may he rest in peace.

--
Lléo

Re: RIP Freddy Rincón

<c0c351f3-5739-4fc9-b394-0efb170c68aen@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=7859&group=rec.sport.soccer#7859

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 09:23:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_RIP_Freddy_Rincón
From: wpich...@gmail.com (Werner Pichler)
 by: Werner Pichler - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 16:23 UTC

On Friday, April 15, 2022 at 10:41:38 AM UTC+2, Lléo wrote:
> Colombian football is in mourning. Freddy Rincón suffered a heavy car crash
> on Monday night in Cali. He resisted for two days but, sadly, has succumbed
> to the injuries sustained in the accident and passed away yesterday, at age 55.
>
> Rincón was a member of the generation that brought Colombian football back to
> the football map in the late 1980's/early 1990's. With teammates such as
> Valderrama, Higuita, Iguarán, Valencia et al, he helped Colombia in their
> return to the World Cup in 1990 after a 28-year long abscence. In that Cup,
> Rincón scored what is one of the most celebrated goals in the history of
> Colombian football, at the end of the group stage against West Germany:
>
> https://youtu.be/VlnZ1UnQS6U
>
> That last gasp goal saved Colombia from a first round exit,

Actually, everything else remaining equal, they'd still have progressed (but they didn't know that at
the time).

RIP

Ciao,
Werner