A gambler's biggest thrill is winning a bet. His next biggest thrill is losing a bet.

sport / rec.sport.soccer / Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"Real Mardin
`* Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"Binder Dundat
 `* Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"Real Mardin
  `* Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"Real Mardin
   `* Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"Werner Pichler
    `* Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"Real Mardin
     `* Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"Real Mardin
      `* Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"Real Mardin
       `* Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"Werner Pichler
        `* Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"Real Mardin
         `* Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"Real Mardin
          +* Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"Real Mardin
          |`* Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"Real Mardin
          | `- Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"Real Mardin
          `- Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"Werner Pichler

1
Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"

<92d69978-ec3a-4d03-95f1-c76e25ceb720n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=6304&group=rec.sport.soccer#6304

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 13:15:15 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"
From: real_mar...@yahoo.co.uk (Real Mardin)
 by: Real Mardin - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 21:15 UTC

>On Tuesday, January 25, 2022 at 12:05:54 AM UTC, Werner Pichler wrote:
> The writing's been on the wall. As I've mentioned once before, the 2020/21 season was the first time since 1995/96 that neither Galatasaray
> nor Fenerbahçe nor Beşiktaş reached a European group stage..

Well yes, but then Trabzon, Konya and Alanya have hardly set European club football on fire but seem to be doing well enough this season.

> It appears clear to me that the 'Big 3' need to change something. Their 'classical' model of buying star players slightly past their
> prime doesn't seem to cut it anymore, while the state of the economy doesn't allow them to buy the quality they used to get.
> And also, these days real quality gets siphoned away towards the top 4 leagues faster than ever.

Yeah, definitely agree here - unless something dramatic changes financially the days of buying a Hagi, Drogba or Sneijder are over for Galatasaray. That said, looking at their recent transfers I think they recognise this - Alexandru Cicâldău (24), Olimpiu Moruțan (22), Mostafa Mohamed (24), Victor Nelsson (23) and Kerem Aktürkoğlu (23 now but 21 when signed) are all promising young players who are playing an active part in the first team. The signings do seem to be getting younger, but of course the downside to that is young players take longer to get up to speed.

As well as the teams from the "big four" leagues, a threat to Turkish clubs retaining talent are wealthy Middle Eastern clubs. In the last few seasons Galatasaray sold probably it's two best strikers Bafétimbi Gomis and Garry Rodrigues to Al Hilal and Al-Ittihad for offers that they just couldn't refuse.

RM

Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"

<2f06de4e-e5c6-4209-ae78-90810ac75de0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=6313&group=rec.sport.soccer#6313

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 14:00:15 -0800 (PST)
From: dun...@gmail.com (Binder Dundat)
 by: Binder Dundat - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 22:00 UTC

On Wednesday, January 26, 2022 at 4:15:17 p.m. UTC-5, Real Mardin wrote:
> >On Tuesday, January 25, 2022 at 12:05:54 AM UTC, Werner Pichler wrote:
> > The writing's been on the wall. As I've mentioned once before, the 2020/21 season was the first time since 1995/96 that neither Galatasaray
> > nor Fenerbahçe nor Beşiktaş reached a European group stage.
> Well yes, but then Trabzon, Konya and Alanya have hardly set European club football on fire but seem to be doing well enough this season.
> > It appears clear to me that the 'Big 3' need to change something. Their 'classical' model of buying star players slightly past their
> > prime doesn't seem to cut it anymore, while the state of the economy doesn't allow them to buy the quality they used to get.
> > And also, these days real quality gets siphoned away towards the top 4 leagues faster than ever.
> Yeah, definitely agree here - unless something dramatic changes financially the days of buying a Hagi, Drogba or Sneijder are over for Galatasaray. That said, looking at their recent transfers I think they recognise this - Alexandru Cicâldău (24), Olimpiu Moruțan (22), Mostafa Mohamed (24), Victor Nelsson (23) and Kerem Aktürkoğlu (23 now but 21 when signed) are all promising young players who are playing an active part in the first team. The signings do seem to be getting younger, but of course the downside to that is young players take longer to get up to speed.
>
> As well as the teams from the "big four" leagues, a threat to Turkish clubs retaining talent are wealthy Middle Eastern clubs. In the last few seasons Galatasaray sold probably it's two best strikers Bafétimbi Gomis and Garry Rodrigues to Al Hilal and Al-Ittihad for offers that they just couldn't refuse.
>

> RM

Hey cmon, Besiktas did it by buying bargain rae Kanadians. I can buy a Kanadian for like 100 bucks nowadays

Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"

<c8e9617b-c951-44b5-b85a-32376d584764n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=6608&group=rec.sport.soccer#6608

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 14:27:55 -0800 (PST)
From: real_mar...@yahoo.co.uk (Real Mardin)
 by: Real Mardin - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 22:27 UTC

Today saw a clash between the teams in first and second place, Trabzonspor and Konyaspor. Trabzon survived a late fightback from Konya to win 2-1, both Trabzon goals coming from Edin Visca, who's now scored four goals in his last three matches.

Despite the close scoreline Trabzon were the better team for most of the game, with Konya only really springing into life in the last 15 minutes or so.. The win sees Trabzon go 12 points clear of Konya with 13 match days remaining, although Konya have a game in hand. That said, on today's evidence it's difficult to make a case for Konya being able to do enough to catch up.

Tomorrow 3rd placed Adana Demirspor play 7th placed Besiktas, with only three points seperating the two. Should Besiktas win, the two teams, along with Istanbul Basaksehir, Alanyaspor and Fenerbahce will be tied on points for third place. So very much a match with ramifications as to whether we'll see a historic result of no "big three" teams in the top three.

Galatasaray drew 1-1 with Kayserispor and are in 13th place, four points and three places above the relegation zone and 11 points behind the last European spot (Europa Conference League qualifying round spot) in 4th place.

RM

Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"

<253906b1-afaf-458a-8505-726aee07411an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=6643&group=rec.sport.soccer#6643

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 15:14:30 -0800 (PST)
From: real_mar...@yahoo.co.uk (Real Mardin)
 by: Real Mardin - Tue, 15 Feb 2022 23:14 UTC

> On Sunday, February 13, 2022 at 10:27:57 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:

> Tomorrow 3rd placed Adana Demirspor play 7th placed Besiktas

The match finished 1-1 but make no mistake, Besiktas got away with one. Adana Demirspor had lots of attacking play and two goals ruled out on VAR decisions. The first I thought was particularly harsh - Mario Balotelli, despite having two markers in front of him managed to place a low shot from the edge of the area into the bottom left corner of the net. The goal was ruled out for an alleged foul in the build up (not by Balotelli), I'm not convinced myself, others may disagree but it was certainly the sort of goal that would have stood pre VAR. The second VAR decision cancelled out what would have been a 97th minute goal from defender Samet, who had already headed in a very well deserved 92nd minute equaliser, due to Adana Demispor players in offside positions adjudged to have interfered with the goal keeper's line of sight. I found that decision a bit more understandable but also certainly open to debate.

Interesting team Adana Demirspor. Founded by railway workers, have never finished higher than sixth in the top tier and in fact have been in the second and third divisions since their relegation in 1994/95, but are now back in the top tier managed by Vincenzo Montella and with a squad featuring players like Balotelli, Gokhan Inler, Matias Vargas and even former Nottingham Forest striker Britt Assombalonga.

So with 13 match days remaining the top 6 is:

1st Trabzonspor 60pts
2nd Konyaspor 48pts
3rd Adana Demirspor 41pts
4th Istanbul Basaksehir 40pts GD + 11
5th Alanyaspor 40pts GD + 8
6th Fenerbahce 40pts GD + 8

RM

Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"

<9d43e2c4-75ef-4652-b051-ede3f5f8a479n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=6648&group=rec.sport.soccer#6648

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 03:48:42 -0800 (PST)
From: wpich...@gmail.com (Werner Pichler)
 by: Werner Pichler - Wed, 16 Feb 2022 11:48 UTC

On Wednesday, February 16, 2022 at 12:14:32 AM UTC+1, Real Mardin wrote:
> > On Sunday, February 13, 2022 at 10:27:57 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:
>
> > Tomorrow 3rd placed Adana Demirspor play 7th placed Besiktas
> The match finished 1-1 but make no mistake, Besiktas got away with one. Adana Demirspor had lots of attacking play and two goals ruled out on VAR decisions. The first I thought was particularly harsh - Mario Balotelli, despite having two markers in front of him managed to place a low shot from the edge of the area into the bottom left corner of the net. The goal was ruled out for an alleged foul in the build up (not by Balotelli), I'm not convinced myself, others may disagree but it was certainly the sort of goal that would have stood pre VAR. The second VAR decision cancelled out what would have been a 97th minute goal from defender Samet, who had already headed in a very well deserved 92nd minute equaliser, due to Adana Demispor players in offside positions adjudged to have interfered with the goal keeper's line of sight. I found that decision a bit more understandable but also certainly open to debate.
>
> Interesting team Adana Demirspor. Founded by railway workers, have never finished higher than sixth in the top tier and in fact have been in the second and third divisions since their relegation in 1994/95, but are now back in the top tier managed by Vincenzo Montella and with a squad featuring players like Balotelli, Gokhan Inler, Matias Vargas and even former Nottingham Forest striker Britt Assombalonga.

I had no idea İnler was even still playing, he's 37.
Other 30+ players in the squad are Younés Belhanda, Benjamin Stambouli (both formerly of Schalke), Loïc Rémy (so that's where he ended up), Birkir Bjarnason (probably best known for his stint at Basel).

Ciao,
Werner

> So with 13 match days remaining the top 6 is:
>
> 1st Trabzonspor 60pts
> 2nd Konyaspor 48pts
> 3rd Adana Demirspor 41pts
> 4th Istanbul Basaksehir 40pts GD + 11
> 5th Alanyaspor 40pts GD + 8
> 6th Fenerbahce 40pts GD + 8
>

> RM

Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"

<9eeb3af6-a558-42d7-8541-bf26e3275f8fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=7116&group=rec.sport.soccer#7116

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 16:05:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: real_mar...@yahoo.co.uk (Real Mardin)
 by: Real Mardin - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 23:05 UTC

In a match with huge ramifications for the "Big Three" being in the "Top Three", Fenerbahce beat Alanyaspor 5-2 away today.

This means the league table, with nine rounds to go, is as follows:

1st Trabzonspor 70pts
2nd Konyaspor 55pts
3rd Fenerbahce 50pts
4th Basaksehir 47pts (one game in hand)
5th Alanyaspor 46pts

So Fenerbahce's win ensures that for the first time in quite a few weeks, the "Big Three" are represented in the "Top Three".

Istanbul Basaksehir play Antalyaspor tomorrow and Besiktas (8th) play Galatasaray (14th). A Besiktas win would see them go top 5, possibly top 4 depending on the Basaksehir result.

RM

Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"

<20476109-59b0-4393-bf6a-ff27bd0488bdn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=7127&group=rec.sport.soccer#7127

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 14:05:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: real_mar...@yahoo.co.uk (Real Mardin)
 by: Real Mardin - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 21:05 UTC

On Sunday, March 13, 2022 at 11:05:14 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:
> In a match with huge ramifications for the "Big Three" being in the "Top Three", Fenerbahce beat Alanyaspor 5-2 away today.
>
> This means the league table, with nine rounds to go, is as follows:
>

> 1st Trabzonspor 70pts
> 2nd Konyaspor 55pts
> 3rd Fenerbahce 50pts
> 4th Basaksehir 47pts (one game in hand)
> 5th Alanyaspor 46pts
>

> So Fenerbahce's win ensures that for the first time in quite a few weeks, the "Big Three" are represented in the "Top Three".
>
> Istanbul Basaksehir play Antalyaspor tomorrow and Besiktas (8th) play Galatasaray (14th). A Besiktas win would see them go top 5, possibly top 4 depending on the Basaksehir result.
>
> RM

Basaksehir lost 1-0 at home to Antalyaspor and Besiktas lost 2-1 away to Galatasaray, hence the top 5 remains unchanged.

In the derby Besiktas missed a number of chances in particular early on and late on and Galatasaray's Barcelona B loanee keeper Inaki Pena made one memorable save in particular, although he also softly let a low shot from Ridvan Yilmaz through his legs for the "honour goal" (as consolation goals were once referred to in Turkey). Both Galatasaray goals came from winger Kerem Akturkoglu, who looks an exciting prospect and is now up to 8 league goals this season. Despite riding their luck at times in defence, this was at times about as good a performance from Galatasaray as we've seen all season, who are now in terms of points as close to the European spots as they are the relegation places.

RM

Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"

<e0bc4dc4-1e20-4612-a4b7-fc6304b4f9c8n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=7256&group=rec.sport.soccer#7256

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 14:12:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: real_mar...@yahoo.co.uk (Real Mardin)
 by: Real Mardin - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 21:12 UTC

Selected Matchday 30 results:

Caykur Rizespor 3 - Trabzonspor 2

Goztepe 0 - Alanyaspor 2

Adana Demirspor 2 - Istanbul Basksehir 1

Fenerbahce 2 - Konyaspor 1

Standings:

1st Trabzonspor 70pts
2nd Konyaspor 55pts
3rd Fenerbahce 53pts
4th Alanyaspor 49pts
5th Adana Demirspor 48pts

So Konya blow a chance to close the gap on Trabzon and in the process allow Fener within touching distance of dislodging them for second place and a place in the Champions League qualifiers. 8 more rounds to play.

Oh sorry, yeah, this thread was supposed to also monitor the "big three". Besiktas drew 1-1 with Hatayspor and are 8th with 46 points. Galatasaray lost 3-1 away to Gaziantepspor and are in 15th place, 9 points clear of the relegation zone.

RM

Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"

<802bc676-1a51-4697-bcfd-5d75f8f82442n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=7295&group=rec.sport.soccer#7295

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 05:35:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: wpich...@gmail.com (Werner Pichler)
 by: Werner Pichler - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 12:35 UTC

On Sunday, March 20, 2022 at 10:12:46 PM UTC+1, Real Mardin wrote:
> Selected Matchday 30 results:
>
> Caykur Rizespor 3 - Trabzonspor 2
>
> Goztepe 0 - Alanyaspor 2
>
> Adana Demirspor 2 - Istanbul Basksehir 1
>
> Fenerbahce 2 - Konyaspor 1
>

> Standings:
> 1st Trabzonspor 70pts
> 2nd Konyaspor 55pts
> 3rd Fenerbahce 53pts
> 4th Alanyaspor 49pts
> 5th Adana Demirspor 48pts
>
> So Konya blow a chance to close the gap on Trabzon and in the process allow Fener within touching distance of dislodging them for second place and a place in
> the Champions League qualifiers. 8 more rounds to play.

Trouble brewing at Fener? Özil and Tufan booted from the squad for unspecified off-the-field reasons...

Ciao,
Werner

Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"

<6438bcc8-ee1b-4f63-9241-845ed5211b90n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=7296&group=rec.sport.soccer#7296

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 05:56:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: real_mar...@yahoo.co.uk (Real Mardin)
 by: Real Mardin - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 12:56 UTC

On Thursday, March 24, 2022 at 12:35:16 PM UTC, Werner Pichler wrote:
> On Sunday, March 20, 2022 at 10:12:46 PM UTC+1, Real Mardin wrote:
> > Selected Matchday 30 results:
> >
> > Caykur Rizespor 3 - Trabzonspor 2
> >
> > Goztepe 0 - Alanyaspor 2
> >
> > Adana Demirspor 2 - Istanbul Basksehir 1
> >
> > Fenerbahce 2 - Konyaspor 1
> >

> > Standings:
> > 1st Trabzonspor 70pts
> > 2nd Konyaspor 55pts
> > 3rd Fenerbahce 53pts
> > 4th Alanyaspor 49pts
> > 5th Adana Demirspor 48pts
> >
> > So Konya blow a chance to close the gap on Trabzon and in the process allow Fener within touching distance of dislodging them for second place and a place in
> > the Champions League qualifiers. 8 more rounds to play.
> Trouble brewing at Fener? Özil and Tufan booted from the squad for unspecified off-the-field reasons...
>
> Ciao,
> Werner

Interesting! Strange time to drop two quality players, just as you're gaining momentum in the race for a Champions League qualifying spot.

No details seem to be available via official sources, the club put out a very matter of fact statement which tells you nothing more than the two players are out of the squad.

I can find one account on a non-official Turkish language site which I'd rather not repeat in case I commit some sort of secondary libel. Although if true I didn't find the reason for dropping them all that controversial myself.

RM

Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"

<f4b05544-3c97-423d-b43a-9e430e9de8can@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=7669&group=rec.sport.soccer#7669

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 14:06:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: real_mar...@yahoo.co.uk (Real Mardin)
 by: Real Mardin - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 21:06 UTC

Selected Matchday 31 results:

Kayserispor 0 - Fenerbahce 4

Galatasaray 2 - Fatih Karagumruk 0

Konyaspor 3- Goztepe 0

Alanyaspor 2 - Caykur Rizespor 1

Trabzonspor 1 - Besiktas 1

Istanbul Basaksehir 1 - Yeni Malatyaspor 0

Trabzon v Besiktas was quite eventful, with Besiktas missing a penalty with Batshuayi hitting the woodwork. Trabzon had 11 minutes earlier taken a fortunate lead when Cornelius hit a shot from inside the area which deflected off a defender and looped over the keeper into the net. If anyone remembers Elvir Bolic's deflected winner for Fenerbahce at Old Trafford which ended Manchester United's 40 year unbeaten home European record, it was sort of a short range version of that. When it looked as if they might have missed their chance Rosier leveled the scores to save a point for Besiktas.

Canadian rss'ers take note: Cyle Larin was sent off for hitting out at an opponent. Siopsis basically wrestled him over the throw in line and Larin, despite initially being the wronged party, did that thing a player should never do - he reacted. The reaction was in all honesty quite a weak looking slap, but of course the other player went down and Larin saw red. Given Besiktas only have an outside chance of finishing in a European spot perhaps there wasn't a lot at stake, but imagine the consequences if Larin gets sent off this way at Qatar 2022. Have the managers of Belgium, Croatia and Morocco already marked him as a player who might retaliate if provoked, I wonder?

Back to the Turkish Super Ligi, the standings with seven rounds left:

1st Trabzonspor 71

2nd Konyaspor 58

3rd Fenerbahce 56

4th Alanyaspor 52

5th Istanbul Basaksehir 50

8th Besiktas 47

13th Galatasaray 41

Note the top two qualify for the Champions League qualifiers, places three and four qualify for the Conference League qualifiers.

RM

Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"

<e84b78c1-21cb-48b2-bd61-1073a5f2c480n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=8034&group=rec.sport.soccer#8034

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 04:52:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: real_mar...@yahoo.co.uk (Real Mardin)
 by: Real Mardin - Sun, 1 May 2022 11:52 UTC

Given the size of their lead it was probably inevitable, but now it's official. After a 2-2 draw with Antalyaspor, Trabzonspor are the 2021/22 Turkish Super League Champions.

Trabzon supporters had flown in from beyond Turkey to watch their team lift it's first league title since 1983/84. They were almost left disappointed by an Antalyaspor side who at times played like men possessed and missed a penalty which could have denied them the homecoming championship party they went onto enjoy.

There were surreal scenes when a large number of fans ran onto the pitch to celebrate the championship, but about a minute and a half before the match had actually ended. Both sets of of players vacated the pitch, with the tannoy announcer left to remonstrate with the fans to clear the pitch as the match still had to be completed. Getting the message across and clearing the pitch took far longer than it would have done to play out the remaining injury time. When the final whistle actually came, the fans invaded the pitch to celebrate once more, to the point where you couldn't see a blade of grass for all the bodies. Amazing scenes.

As good as it is to see some variety in the teams lifting the title, those who were hoping for a season without a "big three" side in the top three are likely to be left disappointed. Fenerbahce have had a recent improvement in form which has seen them rise to second place, 8 points clear of fourth placed Istanbul Basaksehir with three games remaining.

RM

Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"

<9f6a21f4-d0d8-4ddc-908c-bb2d71e5254cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=8265&group=rec.sport.soccer#8265

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 09:59:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: wpich...@gmail.com (Werner Pichler)
 by: Werner Pichler - Wed, 11 May 2022 16:59 UTC

On Monday, April 4, 2022 at 11:06:34 PM UTC+2, Real Mardin wrote:
> Selected Matchday 31 results:
>

> Kayserispor 0 - Fenerbahce 4
>
> Galatasaray 2 - Fatih Karagumruk 0
>
> Konyaspor 3- Goztepe 0
>
> Alanyaspor 2 - Caykur Rizespor 1
>
> Trabzonspor 1 - Besiktas 1
>
> Istanbul Basaksehir 1 - Yeni Malatyaspor 0
>

> Trabzon v Besiktas was quite eventful, with Besiktas missing a penalty with Batshuayi hitting the woodwork. Trabzon had 11 minutes earlier taken a fortunate lead when Cornelius hit a shot from inside the area
> which deflected off a defender and looped over the keeper into the net. If anyone remembers Elvir Bolic's deflected winner for Fenerbahce at Old Trafford which ended Manchester United's 40 year unbeaten home
> European record, it was sort of a short range version of that. When it looked as if they might have missed their chance Rosier leveled the scores to save a point for Besiktas.
>
> Canadian rss'ers take note: Cyle Larin was sent off for hitting out at an opponent. Siopsis basically wrestled him over the throw in line and Larin, despite initially being the wronged party, did that thing a player should
> never do - he reacted. The reaction was in all honesty quite a weak looking slap, but of course the other player went down and Larin saw red. Given Besiktas only have an outside chance of finishing in a European
> spot

Trabzon lost the cup semifinal yesterday against Kayseri, and now Turkey's fifth European spot will not be assigned through the
league (instead, one of Kayserispor (currently 14th in the league), Sivasspor (12th), or Alanyaspor (5th) will get it), which
realistically has deprived Beşiktaş of their last remaining chance to qualify for the Europa Conference League.

The last time only one of the Big 3 played in Europe was after the 2010-11 season because champions Fenerbahçe had been
banned over match-fixing allegations. The last time it happened due to results on the pitch was following the 1982-83 season.

Ciao,
Werner

> perhaps there wasn't a lot at stake, but imagine the consequences if Larin gets sent off this way at Qatar 2022. Have the managers of Belgium, Croatia and Morocco already marked him as a player who might retaliate if provoked, I wonder?
>
> Back to the Turkish Super Ligi, the standings with seven rounds left:
>
> 1st Trabzonspor 71
>
> 2nd Konyaspor 58
>
> 3rd Fenerbahce 56
>
> 4th Alanyaspor 52
>
> 5th Istanbul Basaksehir 50

> 8th Besiktas 47

> 13th Galatasaray 41
>

> Note the top two qualify for the Champions League qualifiers, places three and four qualify for the Conference League qualifiers.
>
> RM

Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"

<33175c3b-7d8d-4e9b-9fca-8281af91bb5cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=9324&group=rec.sport.soccer#9324

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 07:52:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: real_mar...@yahoo.co.uk (Real Mardin)
 by: Real Mardin - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 14:52 UTC

On Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 12:52:11 PM UTC+1, Real Mardin wrote:
> Given the size of their lead it was probably inevitable, but now it's official. After a 2-2 draw with Antalyaspor, Trabzonspor are the 2021/22 Turkish Super League Champions.
>
> Trabzon supporters had flown in from beyond Turkey to watch their team lift it's first league title since 1983/84. They were almost left disappointed by an Antalyaspor side who at times played like men possessed and missed a penalty which could have denied them the homecoming championship party they went onto enjoy.
>
> There were surreal scenes when a large number of fans ran onto the pitch to celebrate the championship, but about a minute and a half before the match had actually ended. Both sets of of players vacated the pitch, with the tannoy announcer left to remonstrate with the fans to clear the pitch as the match still had to be completed. Getting the message across and clearing the pitch took far longer than it would have done to play out the remaining injury time. When the final whistle actually came, the fans invaded the pitch to celebrate once more, to the point where you couldn't see a blade of grass for all the bodies. Amazing scenes.
>
> As good as it is to see some variety in the teams lifting the title, those who were hoping for a season without a "big three" side in the top three are likely to be left disappointed. Fenerbahce have had a recent improvement in form which has seen them rise to second place, 8 points clear of fourth placed Istanbul Basaksehir with three games remaining.
>

> RM

Very belatedly:

1st Trabzonspor 81pts

2nd Fenerbahce 73 pts

3rd Konyaspor 68pts

4th Istanbul Basaksehir 65pts

5th Alanyaspor 64pts

So those hoping for a top three without the "big three" (which would have made history) were left disappointed.

RM

Re: Turkish Top Three and the "Big Three"

<f62a1d2c-76c9-45a0-b886-82ab82c3cbfdn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=9325&group=rec.sport.soccer#9325

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 09:01:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: real_mar...@yahoo.co.uk (Real Mardin)
 by: Real Mardin - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 16:01 UTC

Another possibility that was posed in this thread would be whether this would be Galatasaray's worst finish in the Turkish League.

Sadly, the answer is yes. Galatasaray finished 13th out of 20 teams, which works out worse than the previous worst finish of 11th out 17th, albeit only by about a third of a percentage point. But still worse.

However, I have faith that Okan Buruk can lead the team to better things this season.

RM