The one sure way to make a lazy man look respectable is to put a fishing rod in his hand.

sport / rec.sport.soccer / Re: 2022 Europa League Final [R]

SubjectAuthor
* 2022 Europa League Final [R]Al Kamista
`* Re: 2022 Europa League Final [R]Bruce Scott
 `* Re: 2022 Europa League Final [R]MH
  `- Re: 2022 Europa League Final [R]Bruce Scott

1
2022 Europa League Final [R]

<84468b81-1e56-4159-a159-f0bd802f9c2fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=8398&group=rec.sport.soccer#8398

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 10:20:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: 2022 Europa League Final [R]
From: alkami...@hotmail.com (Al Kamista)
 by: Al Kamista - Wed, 18 May 2022 17:20 UTC

A hipster's delight of a final?

Eintracht Frankfurt - Rangers

Two relatively small teams in the modern age (and one from a small league), both with a solitary European triumph over 40 years ago.

It would be good to see the Scots win, mainly because Scottish teams don't win shit anymore.

Re: 2022 Europa League Final [R]

<slrnt8co5e.rg5.bds@lapCU-0123.aug.ipp.mpg.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=8423&group=rec.sport.soccer#8423

From: bds...@lapCU-0123.aug.ipp.mpg.de (Bruce Scott)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Subject: Re: 2022 Europa League Final [R]
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 15:22:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Bruce Scott - Thu, 19 May 2022 15:22 UTC

On 2022-05-18, Al Kamista <alkamista@hotmail.com> wrote:
> A hipster's delight of a final?
>
> Eintracht Frankfurt - Rangers
>
> Two relatively small teams in the modern age (and one from a small
> league), both with a solitary European triumph over 40 years ago.
>
> It would be good to see the Scots win, mainly because Scottish teams
> don't win shit anymore.

This was a great match... Frankfurt optically dominant but not
really, as Rangers had a good game plan, stuck to it, and got a
massive chance at the end which could have won it but for a great save
by Trapp. Then, to penalties. A bit like how the 2012 CL Final
should have ended :-)

But the main thing is despite the low score (all those great last
minute tackles !) both teams were going for it. And the fans were
simply the best!

--
ciao, Bruce

Re: 2022 Europa League Final [R]

<t65uld$466$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=8425&group=rec.sport.soccer#8425

From: MHnos...@ucalgary.ca (MH)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 11:27:07 -0600
 by: MH - Thu, 19 May 2022 17:27 UTC

On 2022-05-19 09:22, Bruce Scott wrote:
> On 2022-05-18, Al Kamista <alkamista@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> A hipster's delight of a final?
>>
>> Eintracht Frankfurt - Rangers
>>
>> Two relatively small teams in the modern age (and one from a small
>> league), both with a solitary European triumph over 40 years ago.
>>
>> It would be good to see the Scots win, mainly because Scottish teams
>> don't win shit anymore.
>
> This was a great match... Frankfurt optically dominant but not
> really, as Rangers had a good game plan, stuck to it, and got a
> massive chance at the end which could have won it but for a great save
> by Trapp. Then, to penalties. A bit like how the 2012 CL Final
> should have ended :-)
>
> But the main thing is despite the low score (all those great last
> minute tackles !) both teams were going for it. And the fans were
> simply the best!

Rangers now one for five in European finals. The one they won, the fans
trashed the place and they got punished (was there a ban ? I think so).

Frankfurt two for three in finals. I remember 1980 quite well. Bum-Kun
Cha was still playing for Frankfurt then, as was Pezzey. Also Hölzenbein
and Borchers who eventually played for Bielefeld for one season. I had
a summer job in Jülich that year. It was still called the KFA in those
days.

Thinking about those two matches made me look up the lineups. A few of
the players ended up with either Bielefeld or Bayern at one point

Kneib, Lienen and Borchers for Arminia
Matthäus, Del Haye, Nachtweih for Bayern.

Re: 2022 Europa League Final [R]

<slrnt8fjtj.t4l.bds@lapCU-0123.aug.ipp.mpg.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=8437&group=rec.sport.soccer#8437

From: bds...@lapCU-0123.aug.ipp.mpg.de (Bruce Scott)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 17:28:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Bruce Scott - Fri, 20 May 2022 17:28 UTC

On 2022-05-19, MH <MHnospam@ucalgary.ca> wrote:
> [...]
> Thinking about those two matches made me look up the lineups. A few of
> the players ended up with either Bielefeld or Bayern at one point
>
> Kneib, Lienen and Borchers for Arminia
> Matthäus, Del Haye, Nachtweih for Bayern.

Wow that was a really young Matthaeus! Those years (1979-82 before
the WC in Spain) were the ones I couldn't get any football on TV.

--
ciao, Bruce