Subject: Re: Ken Bruce/Radio2
From: Carolyn Cranton
Newsgroups: rec.sport.rugby.league
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 16:03 UTC
Newsgroups: rec.sport.rugby.league
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 09:03:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: carolync...@googlemail.com (Carolyn Cranton)
On Thursday, January 23, 2003 at 8:51:36 AM UTC, Lloyd Barkham wrote:
Martyn <aidm...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
"roughyed" <allro...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
On yesterdays Ken Bruce show, he had a popmaster contestant on who was
an ex
RFL Ref, who retired after his last match in 94, Runcorn v Workington.
The
guy is called John Kendrew, and he claimed he was a top grade referee. I
cannot recall him, does anyone else remember him?

Yes, I remember him. Mr Kendrew was/is from Castleford, and he was
known as "the singing referee" because he used to sign at players'
benefit evenings (honestly!)
Were they deaf?
I hope a) I've answered your question and perhaps more importantly, b)
someone can back me up!
Lloyd

John Kendrew was indeed a top grade referee (he pass away this week) and he was known as 'the singing ref' as he sang for benefits, charities and in clubland. I was proud to have him as my friend for many years