It gets late early out there. -- Yogi Berra

sport / rec.autos.sport.cart / Re: 40 years ago Formula 1 ran it's last Non-Championship race.

SubjectAuthor
* 40 years ago Formula 1 ran it's last Non-Championship race.a425couple
+* Re: 40 years ago Formula 1 ran it's last Non-Championship race.Sir Tim
|`- Re: 40 years ago Formula 1 ran it's last Non-Championship race.Phil Carmody
`* Re: 40 years ago Formula 1 ran it's last Non-Championship race.News
 +- Re: 40 years ago Formula 1 ran it's last Non-Championship race.a425couple
 `- Re: 40 years ago Formula 1 ran it's last Non-Championship race.Sir Tim

1
40 years ago Formula 1 ran it's last Non-Championship race.

<j4BZL.1417844$Tcw8.1238582@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=86&group=rec.autos.sport.cart#86

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.sport.cart
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: 40 years ago Formula 1 ran it's last Non-Championship race.
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 09:34:23 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 16:34 UTC

from facebook

Alex Baisden
1d

April 10th 1983. 40 years ago today Formula 1 ran it's last
Non-Championship race. The 1983 Race Of Champions at Brands Hatch.
It produced an a fantastic all out battle between the reigning World
Champion Keke Rosberg driving for Williams and a surprise challenger in
Danny Sullivan in a Tyrrell in a race he remembers as being even better
than his winning of the Indy 500. 1980 World Champion Alan Jones
brought his Arrows home third.

Despite occasional discussions no F1 event since has been staged outside
of the World Championship.

Something of a shame as Non Championship and Domestic Championship F1
provided some superb racing, stories and events.

In the pre broadcasting revenue model of the 50s, 60s and 70s it
provided extra starting and prize money to teams and enabled them to fun
World Championship campaigns. Many of the races actually provided
better money than World Championship events and we're fiercely contested.

The results of these races is often hugely overlooked which is a bit of
a shame for those who competed in them just as fiercely in a more
dangerous time. Many drivers of this era are missing F1 wins from their
"official" totals due to them not coming in World Championship events.
For example Juan Fangio has 13 F1 wins that most people don't know of.
Jim Clark 19. Jack Brabham 15. For some drivers, like the late Tom
Pryce or Chris Amon, their only F1 wins came in Non Championship events.

Has F1 lost something by losing Non Championship Races and Domestic F1
series? Is there an argument for bringing them back?

Re: 40 years ago Formula 1 ran it's last Non-Championship race.

<rwDZL.1997660$iU59.1037570@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=87&group=rec.autos.sport.cart#87

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.sport.cart
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 12:20:55 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 19:20 UTC

On 4/12/23 11:44, News wrote:
> On 4/12/2023 12:34 PM, a425couple wrote:
>> from facebook
>>
>> Alex Baisden
>> 1d
>>
>> April 10th 1983.  40 years ago today Formula 1 ran it's last
>> Non-Championship race.  The 1983 Race Of Champions at Brands Hatch.
>> It produced an a fantastic all out battle between the reigning World
>> Champion Keke Rosberg driving for Williams and a surprise challenger
>> in Danny Sullivan in a Tyrrell in a race he remembers as being even
>> better than his winning of the Indy 500.  1980 World Champion Alan
>> Jones brought his Arrows home third.
>>
>> Despite occasional discussions no F1 event since has been staged
>> outside of the World Championship.
>>
>> Something of a shame as Non Championship and Domestic Championship F1
>> provided some superb racing, stories and events.
>>
>> In the pre broadcasting revenue model of the 50s, 60s and 70s it
>> provided extra starting and prize money to teams and enabled them to
>> fun World Championship campaigns.  Many of the races actually provided
>> better money than World Championship events and we're fiercely contested.
>>
>> The results of these races is often hugely overlooked which is a bit
>> of a shame for those who competed in them just as fiercely in a more
>> dangerous time.  Many drivers of this era are missing F1 wins from
>> their "official" totals due to them not coming in World Championship
>> events. For example Juan Fangio has 13 F1 wins that most people don't
>> know of. Jim Clark 19.  Jack Brabham 15.  For some drivers, like the
>> late Tom Pryce or Chris Amon, their only F1 wins came in Non
>> Championship events.
>>
>> Has F1 lost something by losing Non Championship Races and Domestic F1
>> series?  Is there an argument for bringing them back?
>

> Coincides with the end of the privateer era, and rise of mega-buck
> efforts, even in domestic pro series races. Unlikely to return.

I agree. VERY unlikely to return.
The costs to the teams (etc. are just too high, in that it can now
only be afforded by the huge world wide marketing organization.

Re: 40 years ago Formula 1 ran it's last Non-Championship race.

<k9opo9Fjba3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=88&group=rec.autos.sport.cart#88

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Sir Tim)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.sport.cart
Date: 12 Apr 2023 22:30:33 GMT
 by: Sir Tim - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 22:30 UTC

News <News@Group.Name> wrote:
> On 4/12/2023 12:34 PM, a425couple wrote:
>> from facebook
>>
>> Alex Baisden
>> 1d
>>
>> April 10th 1983.  40 years ago today Formula 1 ran it's last
>> Non-Championship race.  The 1983 Race Of Champions at Brands Hatch.
>> It produced an a fantastic all out battle between the reigning World
>> Champion Keke Rosberg driving for Williams and a surprise challenger in
>> Danny Sullivan in a Tyrrell in a race he remembers as being even better
>> than his winning of the Indy 500.  1980 World Champion Alan Jones
>> brought his Arrows home third.
>>
>> Despite occasional discussions no F1 event since has been staged outside
>> of the World Championship.
>>
>> Something of a shame as Non Championship and Domestic Championship F1
>> provided some superb racing, stories and events.
>>
>> In the pre broadcasting revenue model of the 50s, 60s and 70s it
>> provided extra starting and prize money to teams and enabled them to fun
>> World Championship campaigns.  Many of the races actually provided
>> better money than World Championship events and we're fiercely contested.
>>
>> The results of these races is often hugely overlooked which is a bit of
>> a shame for those who competed in them just as fiercely in a more
>> dangerous time.  Many drivers of this era are missing F1 wins from their
>> "official" totals due to them not coming in World Championship events.
>> For example Juan Fangio has 13 F1 wins that most people don't know of.
>> Jim Clark 19.  Jack Brabham 15.  For some drivers, like the late Tom
>> Pryce or Chris Amon, their only F1 wins came in Non Championship events.
>>
>> Has F1 lost something by losing Non Championship Races and Domestic F1
>> series?  Is there an argument for bringing them back?
>

> Coincides with the end of the privateer era <snip>

Yeah. Names that I recall: Pete Lovely, Bob Bondurant, Godin de Beaufort …
I’m sure there were lots more.

--
Sir Tim

Re: 40 years ago Formula 1 ran it's last Non-Championship race.

<k9opttFjc0tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=89&group=rec.autos.sport.cart#89

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Sir Tim)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.sport.cart
Date: 12 Apr 2023 22:33:33 GMT
 by: Sir Tim - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 22:33 UTC

a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:
> from facebook
>
> Alex Baisden
> 1d
>
> April 10th 1983. 40 years ago today Formula 1 ran it's last
> Non-Championship race. The 1983 Race Of Champions at Brands Hatch.
> It produced an a fantastic all out battle between the reigning World
> Champion Keke Rosberg driving for Williams and a surprise challenger in
> Danny Sullivan in a Tyrrell in a race he remembers as being even better
> than his winning of the Indy 500. 1980 World Champion Alan Jones
> brought his Arrows home third.
>
> Despite occasional discussions no F1 event since has been staged outside
> of the World Championship.
>
> Something of a shame as Non Championship and Domestic Championship F1
> provided some superb racing, stories and events.
>
> In the pre broadcasting revenue model of the 50s, 60s and 70s it
> provided extra starting and prize money to teams and enabled them to fun
> World Championship campaigns. Many of the races actually provided
> better money than World Championship events and we're fiercely contested.
>
> The results of these races is often hugely overlooked which is a bit of
> a shame for those who competed in them just as fiercely in a more
> dangerous time. Many drivers of this era are missing F1 wins from their
> "official" totals due to them not coming in World Championship events.
> For example Juan Fangio has 13 F1 wins that most people don't know of.
> Jim Clark 19. Jack Brabham 15. For some drivers, like the late Tom
> Pryce or Chris Amon, their only F1 wins came in Non Championship events.
>
> Has F1 lost something by losing Non Championship Races and Domestic F1
> series? Is there an argument for bringing them back?

We often went to the RoC (although I don’t recall the 1983 race) because
Brands was within easy range of our home. It was a wonderful venue for F1,
far better than Silverstone IMO.

Back in the day F1 drivers often also competed in F2 (Jimmy Clark died in a
F2 race).

Chances of bringing back non-championship F1 races? Somewhere between zero
and none I would have thought.

--
Sir Tim

Re: 40 years ago Formula 1 ran it's last Non-Championship race.

<u16u68$9a0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=90&group=rec.autos.sport.cart#90

From: New...@Group.Name (News)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.sport.cart
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 14:44:23 -0400
 by: News - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 18:44 UTC

On 4/12/2023 12:34 PM, a425couple wrote:
> from facebook
>
> Alex Baisden
> 1d
>
> April 10th 1983.  40 years ago today Formula 1 ran it's last
> Non-Championship race.  The 1983 Race Of Champions at Brands Hatch.
> It produced an a fantastic all out battle between the reigning World
> Champion Keke Rosberg driving for Williams and a surprise challenger in
> Danny Sullivan in a Tyrrell in a race he remembers as being even better
> than his winning of the Indy 500.  1980 World Champion Alan Jones
> brought his Arrows home third.
>
> Despite occasional discussions no F1 event since has been staged outside
> of the World Championship.
>
> Something of a shame as Non Championship and Domestic Championship F1
> provided some superb racing, stories and events.
>
> In the pre broadcasting revenue model of the 50s, 60s and 70s it
> provided extra starting and prize money to teams and enabled them to fun
> World Championship campaigns.  Many of the races actually provided
> better money than World Championship events and we're fiercely contested.
>
> The results of these races is often hugely overlooked which is a bit of
> a shame for those who competed in them just as fiercely in a more
> dangerous time.  Many drivers of this era are missing F1 wins from their
> "official" totals due to them not coming in World Championship events.
> For example Juan Fangio has 13 F1 wins that most people don't know of.
> Jim Clark 19.  Jack Brabham 15.  For some drivers, like the late Tom
> Pryce or Chris Amon, their only F1 wins came in Non Championship events.
>
> Has F1 lost something by losing Non Championship Races and Domestic F1
> series?  Is there an argument for bringing them back?

Coincides with the end of the privateer era, and rise of mega-buck
efforts, even in domestic pro series races. Unlikely to return.

Re: 40 years ago Formula 1 ran it's last Non-Championship race.

<874jpjomka.fsf@zotaspaz.fatphil.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=91&group=rec.autos.sport.cart#91

From: pc+use...@asdf.org (Phil Carmody)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1,rec.autos.sport.cart
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 17:59:17 +0300
sha1:iIsRLSMXc2OgBZLClS31GKJ/PRc=
 by: Phil Carmody - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 14:59 UTC

Sir Tim <no_email@invalid.invalid> writes:
> Chances of bringing back non-championship F1 races? Somewhere between
> zero and none I would have thought.

With current FIA governance, I'd expect having a novelty race
in clown cars to be more likely. And yes, I didn't say equally
likely.

Phil
--
We are no longer hunters and nomads. No longer awed and frightened, as we have
gained some understanding of the world in which we live. As such, we can cast