Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 10:09:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Chargers.com: Mock Draft Tracker 14.0
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 17:09 UTC

On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 9:56:21 AM UTC-7, Robin Miller wrote:
> Robin Miller wrote:
> > phlash74 wrote:
> >> Presumably the final version:
> >> https://www.chargers.com/news/nfl-mock-draft-2022-tracker-14-chargers-round-1-pick-17
> >>

> >> New leader in the clubhouse is Northern Iowa OT Trevor Penning who
> >> would presumably start on the right side immediately. Second is DT
> >> Jordan Davis of Georgia, but most of the mocks that still have him
> >> listed are more than 3 weeks old.
> >>
> >> Picks by position:
> >> OT - 13
> >> WR - 12
> >> DT - 8
> >> CB - 3
> >> OG - 2
> >> LB - 2
> >>
> >> Players by number of mocks named in:
> >>
> >> OT Trevor Penning, Northern Iowa - 9
> >> DT Jordan Davis, Georgia - 6
> >> WR Chris Olave, Ohio State - 4
> >> OT Charles Cross, Mississippi State - 3
> >> CB Trent McDuffie, Washington - 3
> >> WR Jameson Williams, Alabama - 3
> >> OG Zion Johnson, Boston College - 2
> >> WR Drake London, USC - 2
> >> WR Garrett Wilson, Ohio State - 2
> >> DT Devonte Wyatt, Georgia - 2
> >> WR Treylon Brooks, Arkansas - 1
> >> LB Nakobe Dean, Georgia - 1
> >> OT Kenyon Green, Texas A&M - 1
> >> LB Devin Lloyd, Utah - 1
> >>
> >> Michael
> >>

> > I'm hoping that Penning falls to the Chargers, but I don't follow the
> > college game, and I know that some people don't like him. Here is
> > Slater's final mock (posted today) for the Chargers. He thinks the top
> > four OTs (including Penning) will be gone by 17.
> >
> > --Robin
> >

> > Round 1, Pick 17: Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington
> >
> > I overthought my Mock 4.0 last year. I felt like an offensive tackle was
> > going to be the pick — the need was just so glaring on Justin Herbert’s
> > blindside — but I leaned into my pessimistic tendencies. I did not think
> > Rashawn Slater was going to fall, so I mocked Christian Darrisaw. And I
> > have been living with regret for the past 12 months.
> >
> > No overthinking this time. The theme of the day is optimism. A player is
> > going to fall to the Chargers at 17. And I am going with McDuffie.
> >
> > The Chargers’ need at cornerback is more significant than most are
> > anticipating. Their depth was an absolute mess last season, and it led
> > to atrocious defense on third-and-longs in the second half of the
> > season. Despite the J.C. Jackson signing, they still are not deep.
> > Michael Davis is the third corner and in line for a large share of snaps
> > in nickel packages. He struggled with the scheme change last season.
> > Tevaughn Campbell is the fourth corner. He struggled even more than Davis.
> >
> > Upgrading the defense has been the priority all offseason long, and I
> > think that continues Thursday night. McDuffie could fall because he is
> > undersized, but he has everything Brandon Staley is looking for in a
> > corner — high football IQ, competitive, tough, excellent technique and
> [...]

I'd be happy with McDuffie or Johnson just based on positional needs assuming the tackles are gone. I'm not really understanding all the clamor for a WR, unless people think Allen is washed based on a few drops last year.

Michael

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Chargers.com: Mock Draft Tracker 14.0

By: phlash74 on Thu, 28 Apr 2022