Newsgroups: rec.sport.rowing
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 08:29:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Erg Fan Moment of Inertia
From: headap...@gmail.com (Bob)
 by: Bob - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 15:29 UTC

On Friday, September 3, 2021 at 6:57:03 AM UTC-6, carl wrote:
> On 03/09/2021 09:46, Andy McKenzie wrote:

> >> A. Dumas
> >>
> >> That is a very interesting link! They discuss how the errors increase as the effort and SR change on the CII erg which supports Carl's statement that transients affect flywheel energy dissipation. There is one thing about their graphs that I don't understand. I think they scatterplot the instrumented vs CII Power values and create
> >> an average line. That is fine but the plotted values are all over the map so to speak with significant outliers. This seems surprising to me. Can anyone enlighten/correct me? I'm also curious about the authors surmise that there is an intentional error in the power reading - "It can be supposed that the manufacturer has modified the C2D with the main objective to reproduce the speed of the boat rather than to assess the actual power developed by the rower".
> >>
> >> Your comment about gym ergs and consistency makes sense but different damper settings can result in differing variations in flywheel speeds which induces errors
> >> according to the paper and Carl. That cumulative error could depend on stroke rate so I wonder how it all works out or if there is some innate faith in the CII Model D
> >> as a tribute to CII marketing? In some ways, it doesn't really matter what the readout says as long as the CII is consistent from unit to unit and under all conditions and settings which, I think, is a tall order. I know I can't help taking a childish pleasure in beating someone's split by even a second! As an engineer, I'm not astute enough to know what that says about me and human nature but it probably isn't good.
> >>
> >> Andy,
> >>
> >> Can the Smartrow be programmed to yield power directly and, if so, how does it compare to the original WaterRower display on a stroke by stroke basis? The paper mentions that CII underestimates power so is the fact that the Smartrow needs to be scaled down to match CII, the reality of a gold standard that is not pure gold?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Bob
> > I haven't got a Smartrow myself. The original WaterRower display gives distance/speed, rather than any attempt to display power, so direct comparisons would be hard, but users have posted a fairly consistent 10% difference between pieces, even at differing intensity. From my perspective it doesn't really matter as I'm racing myself and no one else.
> >
> > Andy
> >
> And, of course, no ergs precisely simulate a boat, & (though RP comes
> pretty close on the dynamics) none of them teaches you about blade-work,
> or those other trying aspects of technique. So there's an element of
> sales hype in promotions that tell you otherwise, or kidology in telling
> ourselves that erg performance can represent on-water performance. The
> erg is a land-training device which can help you to develop strength &
> [...]

I want to thank everyone who contributed to informing me on the nuances of my little project to measure erg power.
I've abandoned the flywheel measurement approach and ordered an optical encoder from ebay and a pull pressure load cell from Amazon?!.
Despite the fancy names they were surprisingly inexpensive. I still plan to pursue making a precision measurement of power in
comparison with the numbers from my original RowPerfect.

The real takeaway of this discussion is just as Carl said. Ergs can make you stronger but if you want to become better, you need to get on the water.

Many Thanks,

Bob

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Erg Fan Moment of Inertia