From: car...@carldouglasrowing.com (carl)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.rowing
Subject: Re: Yale Crew
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 15:10:45 +0100
<u5dq4b$3a4dc$1@dont-email.me> <u5ipt5$200g$1@dont-email.me>
<80584088-44fe-4458-b2e7-e895cfe6ec8cn@googlegroups.com>
 by: carl - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 14:10 UTC

On 05/06/2023 09:55, James HS wrote:
> On Sunday, 4 June 2023 at 20:50:00 UTC+1, carl wrote:

>>> Charles -
>>>
>>> The pleasure is all mine - & best to you both from Jan and me. Much to
>>> discuss privately - it's been too long.
>>>
>>> Now to business - rowing!
>>> There are 2 over-arching aspects to the net propulsive effect of the
>>> rowing stroke:
>>> 1. The amount of work that you do during the stroke which, simply put,
>>> is the sum (the integral) of the force that you apply at any instant
>>> multiplied by the distance moved in that instant by the point of
>>> application of that force (the hands)
>>> 2. The efficiency with which the work that you do is converted into
>>> useful (propulsive) work.
>>>
>>> That very simple depiction gets complicated very easily, so let's tread
>>> carefully. One reason is the sheer complexity of the inertial
>>> interactions between the rower's body (which weighs far more than the
>>> boat), & how one best to manage the relative motion of body & boat.
>>> Another reason is that the efficiency of the interaction between blade &
>>> water is far from simple, varies continuously through the stroke & is
>>> very difficult to analyse.
>>>
>>> I feel, & see, little evidence that rowing wishes to study or understand
>>> (or even acknowledge) these 2 aspects, preferring to think in stylistic
>>> & stimulating but non-scientific terms - because it is very difficult to
>>> do otherwise. Yet the time, effort & expense invested into rowing,
>>> especially at top levels, could suggest that we should do more to study
>>> those 2 factors listed above. Not to do so is like investing without
>>> understanding the significance of risk & rate of return.
>>>
>>> It's late after a busy day, so please treat the above as a place-holder
>>> & I'll return in a day or so, over a cuppa, to elaborate. But let me
>>> leave you with this thought, which I've expressed before:
>>> that swirling puddle contains all of the energy input at the blade which
>>> did _not_ move the boat.
>>>
>>> Cheer -
>>> Carl
>> Part 2: How the work that you do is dissipated, & therefore wasted, in
>> the water. Let's have some definitions:-
>>
>> 1, Newton's 2nd Law of Motion: "Force applied to a body equals the mass
>> of that body multiplied by the acceleration induced", or F = m x a,
>> where 'F' is the force(e.g. Newtons, lb force, kg force, etc) to the
>> mass, 'm' (e.g. lb mass or kg mass), and 'a' is the resulting
>> acceleration of that mass (its rate of _change_ in velocity, measured as
>> feet or metres per second per second - no repeating the per second is
>> not a typo!)
>>
>> 2. Newton's 3rd Law of Motion: "Every action has an equal & opposite
>> reaction". If I push you, the force that you apply is the force that I
>> feel &, if we're of equal mass & both standing on frictionless ice, then
>> we will each move but in opposite directions at equal velocities.
>>
>> 3. Kinetic Energy: The energy stored in any moving body of mass 'm'
> [...]

Forget the rower for the moment, & just consider the relationships
between thrust, momentum and kinetic energy:-

1. The equal & opposite reaction force between blade & a mass of water
is proportional to the rate at which momentum is given to that mass &
the rate of change of its velocity (its acceleration).
2. The kinetic energy given to that mass (which is energy not available
for boat propulsion) is proportional to that mass of water & the square
of its velocity
change.

Now halve that mass of water. Then as the same total momentum must be
imparted to that reduced water mass its velocity gain must double.
Doubling that velocity change means the velocity-squared kinetic energy
term doubles the total kinetic energy lost to that water.

Instead double the mass of water engaged with the blade &, for the same
reaction force, the kinetic energy lost to the water is halved.

Thus the bigger the volume (mass) of water with which the blade can
usefully engage the less of your input energy is lost - doubling that
volume halves the losses, etc.

While simple, this analysis is directly applicable to how you row, and
applies to all propulsion systems based on reaction from giving momentum
to a surrounding fluid.

In order to engage in/with more water, around the mid-stroke the blade
must be completely surrounded by water - water above as well as below &
around. This is achievable only by rowing the blade deeper in that part
of the stroke to ensure there is water, rather than air, above it. That
conflicts with popular disapproval of "looming", but fluid dynamics
tends to be counter-intuitive.

The popular argument against taking the mid-stroke deeper is that the
loom or shaft of the oar is then immersed & that, as the boat is moving
forwards, the shaft must then be dragging through the water. That
argument contains one huge and erroneous assumption, which is that the
turning point of the oar lies somewhere within the length of the blade
and than none of the shaft is moving sternwards. So let's examine that.

If any part of the blade is effectively static within the water, then
however much of the blade that is inboard from that point must be moving
forward, backwatering & thus generating speed-reducing drag. The
reality is that in the mid-stroke the entire blade is stalled and is
moving sternwards through the water, the outboard end moving faster
sternwards than the inboard end as the oar is rotating about an as-yet
undefined vertical axis. And that means that this axis - call it the
point of rotation WRT the water - must lie somewhere inboard from the
inner end of the blade.

This means that we can immerse, entirely without drag penalty, any part
of the shaft which lies outboard from that point of rotation, so the
blade can safely go deeper without incurring any adverse fluid drag on
the shaft & ensuring that it is fully covered. So much for those
antiquated arguments against looming!

Now scrutinise videos of great antipodean scullers, e.g. Drysdale or
Waddell. See how deep their blades go at mid-stroke. And then look for
any sign of shaft back-watering - it ain't happening.

Note that I'm dealing here only with the stalled (hence least efficient,
but inevitable & necessary) part of the stroke. We can discuss the very
different and more efficient (Lower energy losses) initial & terminal
phases of the stroke at another time.

One of the most obvious perceptions, for the rower, of rowing a deeper
mid-stroke is that the stroke takes somewhat longer to complete because
the increase in efficiency of that phase reduces the rate of blade
slippage. Unfortunately, most of us are averse to anything which upsets
our sense of how long the stroke should take, so we quite naturally tend
to over-exert ourselves in the vain hope of getting the time in the
water back down to what we're used to. And then we decide that we're
now "overloaded" or too severely geared. But the reality is that the
overloading we feel is that which we unwisely impose upon ourselves in
our effort to shorten stroke duration back to "where it should be".

The fundamental lesson is that slip is not a substitute for gearing, &
that rowing deeper in mid-stroke educes slip, increases propulsive
efficiency & demands a slightly increased time in the water. Yet most
rowers shy away from that, persuaded by the siren voices of the
anti-loomers. How strange that a sport so dependent on fluid dynamics
has so little interest in or grasp of that very subject.

Cheers -
Carl

--
Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing Low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Yale Crew

By: Charles Carroll on Fri, 5 May 2023

17Charles Carroll